Churchill tank question?

Millitary miscellany; Tanks, AFV, Trucks and other Soft-Skin vehicles etc.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Churchill tank question?

Post by splash »

I was looking a my stash of 1/76 Churchill tanks and noticed that Airfix over the years has changed the type of hatch on the side of the tank sponsons.

I have a blister pack version that has round hatches and a much later kit that has square hatches, today I picked up one of the latest issues and it’s gone back to round.

When did the Churchill’s get the round hatches? I understand it was a mod to reduce stress so I’m assuming it’s the later tanks that had it.

Does anyone know what marks started using the round hatches?

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
LarryH57
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Re: Churchill tank question?

Post by LarryH57 »

That's strange as I always thought that the Airfix kit was a Churchill Mark VII with round side hatches. Perhaps they have used someone else's mould for the new kits. It would be good to see some photos of the different version in your stash
ntrocket88
Active Participant

Post by ntrocket88 »

The only version of real life Churchill that had round hatches was the Mk VII (and VIII, the close support version of the Mk VII). To the best of my knowledge, Airfix only produced Mk VII and with round hatches...? My oldest Airfix ones have them and the latest production ones too. Mk VII also had the distinctive slab-sided, one-piece cast turret. All Crocodile were converted from Mk VII and these were the first Mk VII to see action in NW Europe, where initially most Churchill were earlier, less well armored versions. Could your Airfix Churchill with square side hatches be from a different manufacturer? The Matchbox AVRE was based on the Mk IV I believe and I think Hasegawa did a Mk IV (in 1/72) as well? Matador also offer a conversion set to make the Airfix Mk VII into a Mk IV.

Hope this helps!
Neil

'With every model I learn a little more...and then the next one takes longer!'
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Hmm, I'd look for manufacturer marks on the runner or on the hull, I think you have a ringer there.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Chuck Finley
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Chuck Finley »

ntrocket88 wrote:The only version of real life Churchill that had round hatches was the Mk VII (and VIII, the close support version of the Mk VII). To the best of my knowledge, Airfix only produced Mk VII and with round hatches...? My oldest Airfix ones have them and the latest production ones too. Mk VII also had the distinctive slab-sided, one-piece cast turret. All Crocodile were converted from Mk VII and these were the first Mk VII to see action in NW Europe, where initially most Churchill were earlier, less well armored versions. Could your Airfix Churchill with square side hatches be from a different manufacturer? The Matchbox AVRE was based on the Mk IV I believe and I think Hasegawa did a Mk IV (in 1/72) as well? Matador also offer a conversion set to make the Airfix Mk VII into a Mk IV.

Hope this helps!

Esci did a Mk.III in 1/72 and the Hasegawa is a Mk.I or Mk.II with a 2pdr in the turret and either a 3" howitzer on the front hull (Mk.I) or a Besa (Mk.II)
On second thoughts, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place!
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Thanks for your answers, I will drag out my kits again and check I’m not going mad. :roll:

If I haven’t gone mad :shock: I will photograph the different parts and show them on here.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

It’s official I have gone mad, on checking my stash, I had mistaken the image on the Airfix box as having a square hatch. :oops:
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

splash wrote:It’s official I have gone mad, on checking my stash, I had mistaken the image on the Airfix box as having a square hatch. :oops:
Well, at least you're not alone here :-)

David
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

It was this kits box that I confused with the Airfix box. I think it’s a copy or re box of the Hasegawa kit even down to the box art.

Now having looked at the Airfix Kit I can see the round hatch and all the extra plate armour added to the sides and to the inside just in front of the drivers position.

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

dwomby wrote:
splash wrote:It’s official I have gone mad, on checking my stash, I had mistaken the image on the Airfix box as having a square hatch. :oops:
Well, at least you're not alone here :-)

David
:ha: :ha: :ha:
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

The "dreadful" thing about the Churchill is that you can use the phrase "You can never have to many Churchill's", just like the spitfire. 11 major marks, and innumerable funnies and special purpose vehicles.
It's enough to give us tank builders a head ache.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

general rocket wrote:The "dreadful" thing about the Churchill is that you can use the phrase "You can never have to many Churchill's", just like the spitfire. 11 major marks, and innumerable funnies and special purpose vehicles.
It's enough to give us tank builders a head ache.
I fully agree it makes a great one subject theme, I’m trying to scratch build one of the more obscure versions the Canel Defence Light (CDL) over on my workbench thread.

Hence the question about the side hatch, I originally wanted to use the Airfix Kit but it’s a MkVII with the round hatch and I needed a MkIII with a square hatch.
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

I'm currently going through this with the first war rhomboids.
Not helped by contradictory information on different websites.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

general rocket wrote:I'm currently going through this with the first war rhomboids.
Not helped by contradictory information on different websites.
If you building WWI tanks have you thought about card models here is an excellent link for free kits you just pint them and build as many as you want http://www.landships.info/landships/models.html#

Here is one I built in 1/72 scale

Return to “Tanks, AFV and other Military Models”