Chuck's cruiser quartet in 1/72 scale +3 (2019)

Millitary miscellany; Tanks, AFV, Trucks and other Soft-Skin vehicles etc.
Chuck Finley
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Chuck's cruiser quartet in 1/72 scale +3 (2019)

Post by Chuck Finley »

S-Models out of China has produces a nice line of unique easy build tanks in 1/72 scale. Two of these kits are the A-13 Mk.I Cruiser Mk. II and Crusader Mk. I/II. As I hate repeating myself, I thought it would be nice to present four different versions of the two tanks with the help of Dan Taylor Modelworks and his excellent line of resin conversion sets and decals.

My first cruiser build is the S-Model A-13 Mk.I, Cruiser Mk.III built up as T-4397 from 5 R Tanks, 1st Armd Division in France May 1940. The model is built OOB

On second thoughts, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Chuck's cruiser quartet in 1/72 scale

Post by ShaunW »

A very nice pair of early war British cruisers, Chuck. British armour from the early part of WW II doesn't feature on here very often and over the years has been largely overlooked by the kit manufacturers in favour of the later war big bruisers such as Panther, Tiger, Josef Stalin II etc.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

Cruiser #2 is T-18149 'Amy' Cruiser Mk. IV, 7th Hussars, 7th Armoured Brigade, "Operation Crusader" Summer 1941 to Spring 1942.

The base kit is the S-Models A-13 Cruiser in 1/72. The kit was upgraded using Dan Taylor Modelworks' "Cruiser Mk. IV A Conversion (Western Desert). The upgrades are provided in resin and etched brass. Resin parts include the spaced turret armour, later pattern cylindrical commander's hatch, loaders hatch, rectangular mantlet, late pattern 'axle' mantlet, extinguishers, smoke dischargers, lifting eyes and six oil cans. In etched brass there are desert dust guards, stowage box, oil can rack, drivers hatch and oil filter detailing. In addition "Operation Crusader, set 2" decals from Dan Taylor were used for the markings. According to Dan Taylor, this was a period of transition away from the Caunter paint scheme with many aging vehicles still having it. In addition, the vehicle was painted with Sovereign Colourcoat paints (Sovereign picked up the White Ensign paint line). I highly recommend both Dan Taylor and Colourcoats.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Excellent work chuck.

A quick question from an idiot who knows very little about WWII tanks, what do the white/red/white marking denote?

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

splash wrote:Excellent work chuck.

A quick question from an idiot who knows very little about WWII tanks, what do the white/red/white marking denote?

Regards Splash

Thanks. According to Mike Starmer and Richard Taylor, the WRW markings was a specific ID marking for Operation Crusader.
celt

Post by celt »

These kits look very good,well tidy modelling sir.
Regards
celt.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Very nice, Chuck. I'm also lacking in knowledge about these early British tanks but it sounds like the Dan Taylor desert conversion set for this kit is very comprehensive.

IPMS#12300
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Chuck Finley wrote:
splash wrote:Excellent work chuck.

Regards Splash

Thanks. According to Mike Starmer and Richard Taylor, the WRW markings was a specific ID marking for Operation Crusader.
Cheers
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

Cruiser #3: A-15 Crusdarer Mk.I 'Chelsea Pensioner', 22nd Armoured Brigade, Operation Crusader 1941

The base kit is the S-Model Crusader Mk.I/II converted to a early Crusader Mk.I with Dan Taylor Modelwork's " Crusader Mk.I Early Conversion". The set is designed for the S-Model Crusader tank and provides all the parts required to back date the kit. Incorporated are 29 crisply cast resin parts and 32 etched brass parts.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Nice work Chuck, and nicely portrayed too
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

ShaunW wrote:Very nice, Chuck. I'm also lacking in knowledge about these early British tanks but it sounds like the Dan Taylor desert conversion set for this kit is very comprehensive.

Yes it is. I have found Dan Taylor to do excellent work with his conversion sets. That applies to anything made by him. Check out his webpage for a comprehensive list.

http://www.dantaylormodelworks.com/
Chuck Finley

Re: Chuck's cruiser quartet in 1/72 scale +3 (2019)

Post by Chuck Finley »

I picked up the Plastic Soldier Company's recent A9 Cuiser set in 1/72 scale. The box includes three vehicles and includes part for both the 2pdr gun tank and close support version. In addition, it has the desert option as well. Naturally, I wanted three different A9s to go with my A13s and Crusaders and am able to do so thanks to Dan Taylor Modelworks. My first A9 is straight out of the box and represents a CS (Close Support) A9 Cruiser Mk.I as used by 3rd Royal Tank Regiment, 1st Armored Division during the Battle of France 1940.

Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nice work.

Nigel
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Another excellent small scale build from you, Chuck. The turreted bow machine guns are interesting (making the vehicle centre drive by the looks, rather like a modern tank) but I don't think as an idea the feature lasted long - I seem to recall that early Crusaders had a similar fitment but featured only one mg turret rather than the two here.

IPMS#12300
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

ShaunW wrote:Another excellent small scale build from you, Chuck. The turreted bow machine guns are interesting (making the vehicle centre drive by the looks, rather like a modern tank) but I don't think as an idea the feature lasted long - I seem to recall that early Crusaders had a similar fitment but featured only one mg turret rather than the two here.
Look up at Cruiser #3. It is a Crusader Mk.I with that very feature.

Return to “Tanks, AFV and other Military Models”