Fujimi 1/76 Panzer IV Ausf J Converted To Ausf H *FINISHED*

Millitary miscellany; Tanks, AFV, Trucks and other Soft-Skin vehicles etc.
ntrocket88
Active Participant

Fujimi 1/76 Panzer IV Ausf J Converted To Ausf H *FINISHED*

Post by ntrocket88 »

There are two injection-molded choices for Panzer IV in 1/76. Unfortunately neither represent the Ausf H, which was the most numerous production version and represented most of the Panzer IV in Normandy, my main area of interest. Additionally, both the Airfix Panzer IV Ausf F and the ex-Nitto Fujimi Panzer IV Ausf J, while reasonable kits, are not without flaws. I have converted both kits to Ausf H in the past, but found that it is easier to start from the Fujimi kit and work backwards, so to speak.

The major flaws with both the Airfix and Fujimi versions are the tracks and bogies. The Airfix tracks are far too thick, while the Fujimi/Nitto ones are too short and disintigrate over time. The bogies on both kits are also inaccurate, as I will show later. The only solution on either kit, is to use the tracks and bogies from the Matchbox/Revell Panzer IV(70)V (Jagdpanzer IV L/70). OK so far, and not too expensive, but... you need three of the ex-Matchbox kits for every two Fujimi/Airfix ones. Sigh... perhaps I should have just ordered from MMS or Milicast!

This is the original Nitto box art:

And the same kit from Fujimi:

Either way, the sprues look like this:
Neil

'With every model I learn a little more...and then the next one takes longer!'
ntrocket88
Active Participant

Re: Fujimi 1/76 Panzer IV Ausf J Converted To Ausf H

Post by ntrocket88 »

So starting with the pesky bogies...

This shows the three bogie choices. The Airfix one on the left is missing the rim for the tire (making the tire far too thick) and does not accurately represent the hub. The Fujimi/Nitto one in the middle gets the rim right, but the hub is completely wrong. Only the Matchbox ones that I installed on the kit are accurate.

The problem is, the Matchbox Panzer IV(70)V represents a late production version with all steel wheels on the first two stations each side. That means you only get 12 wheels with tires, but you need 16. Hence three Matchbox to two Fujimi...

Moving on the Sprocket and Idler. The Airfix ones accurately represent the Panzer IV Ausf F and would be OK for an early Ausf H, but not for a mid/late one like mine. The Matchbox kit only has the mid production Ausf H sprocket, but still has the old style idler. This photo shows an old Airfix Panzer IV H conversion from many years ago (many...) as a comparison:

The next photo shows the Fujimi/Nitto one which comes with the correct sprocket/idler for a mid-Ausf H onwards:

The return rollers on both the Airfix and Fujimi kits are rubber-tired, these were replaced with all steel ones during Ausf H production. Again the Matchbox ones would be fine, but you only get six of them not eight, as this also changed on the later Panzer IV Ausf J and derivatives. In this case, I decided not to do anything about it, as I plan to install schurzen which will cover them completely.
Neil

Spearjig
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Spearjig »

What about casting your own wheels in resin from the matchbox ones?
ntrocket88
Active Participant

Post by ntrocket88 »

Spearjig wrote:What about casting your own wheels in resin from the matchbox ones?
Certainly possible, though not my favorite modelling activity. I do have five of these conversions on my to-do list, all of which at least need the Matchbox/Revell tracks anyway, so I decided to get enough to do the wheels as well and then I can use the extra tracks for Airfix StuG III, also on my to-do list! I investigated resin and PE track options in 1/72, but they are more expensive than just getting the Matchbox Panzer IV(70)V. :sad:
Neil

ntrocket88
Active Participant

Post by ntrocket88 »

The main difference between late Panzer IV Ausf H and early J was the removal of the auxilliary engine used to provide power for the electric turret traverse. The space was used to carry more fuel. Externally, the only difference this caused was to remove the small square auxillary muffler next to the main exhaust muffler. The Fujimi kit, although supposed to be a J, still has a box that looks a bit like the Auxilliary muffler... but it also has the later Ausf J style twin exhausts. Sometime during Ausf J production the main exhaust muffler was replaced with two flame-suppressing ones. This must have happened in the July/Aug/Sept 1944 timeframe, as some examples of this also have Zimmerit. The Ausf J seen in Normandy and produced in June (some sources suggest May too) still have the old style single big muffler though.

To convert back to an Ausf H, I replaced the twin exhaust mufflers with the old single one (from an Airfix Panzer IV in the spares box) and modified the box that shouldn't be there, to better represent the auxilliary muffler:

The Fujimi kit is missing the vision and pistol ports from the turret sides and side-doors. This is correct for a late Ausf J, but the ones in the side doors have to be added back for an Ausf H.
Neil

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nice bit of conversion work Neil and one that I've considered doing in the past but have not yet got round to having a go (I mulled over using the Airfix Mark IV). The old MB, now Revell, L70 is a nice kit for its time and I have an MB original example hiding in my stash.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
IvanV22
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by IvanV22 »

Nice work, I don’t have your knowledge of the panzers so I would be happy with the kit as it was, but that is some of the hobbies charm, making it just as YOU mean it should be! Spending hours on small details that most people don’t even notice… maybe we are crazy… but in a sane way! Who cares , we enjoy it!
Best from Ivan
Chris

Post by Chris »

You could try using the old ESCI Panzer IV and add Side armor to it

Honcho of ASMMF
ntrocket88
Active Participant

Post by ntrocket88 »

Chris wrote:You could try using the old ESCI Panzer IV and add Side armor to it
That looks very nicely done. Unfortunately Esci are 1/72 and I only make 1/76 because that's what my collection is and I am cursed to be able to tell the difference on the wargames table and, even worse, it bothers me! In 1/72, Revell make what looks to be an excellent Panzer IV Ausf H with all the trimmings, but sadly no use to me. There is a very interesting comparison of 1/72 Panzer IV options at onthewaymodels. It would seem that the Esci version is is really a Panzer IV Ausf G, but was sometimes marketed as an Ausf H! I thought the gun looked too short in your photo... Early Ausf G had the L/43 length 75mm, rather than the L/48 fitted to late Ausf G, Ausf H and Ausf J.
Neil

ntrocket88
Active Participant

Post by ntrocket88 »

ShaunW wrote:Nice bit of conversion work Neil and one that I've considered doing in the past but have not yet got round to having a go (I mulled over using the Airfix Mark IV). The old MB, now Revell, L70 is a nice kit for its time and I have an MB original example hiding in my stash.
I always loved the Matchbox Panzer IV(70)V and have three in my stash to make as themselves. One will have Zimmerit... Converting the Airfix Panzer IV to a later version seemed harder to me because you need a new gun barrel (longer and with a double muzzle break), a new commander's cupola, new hull hatches, turret schurzen, new drive sprocket and possibly idler. As well as replacing the wheels and tracks... It is more dimensionally correct than the Fujimi Ausf J though, which is a tad off.
IvanV22 wrote:Nice work, I don’t have your knowledge of the panzers so I would be happy with the kit as it was, but that is some of the hobbies charm, making it just as YOU mean it should be! Spending hours on small details that most people don’t even notice… maybe we are crazy… but in a sane way! Who cares , we enjoy it!
All true. However, I may obsess over the details just a tiny bit too much sometimes...
Neil

ntrocket88
Active Participant

Post by ntrocket88 »

The Fujimi kit has two dimensional errors, though very minor ones by Nitto's usual standards. The turret side plate with the doors are fractionally too short, but this is only visible with a direct comparison to the Airfix turret, and even then it is difficult (even for me) to see, so I ignore it. The other error is also very small. The upper hull sides stick out about 0.5mm too much over the mudguards. Invisible to the naked eye, this made the rack for spare wheels too narrow and only fits two supplied single-tire wheels, rather than the doubles the Germans intended. Rather than fix the sides, I used two more Matchbox wheels but narrowed the gap between them to fit:

I also applied Zimmerit to the hull front, upper sides, rear and turret front:

On real ones, the turret sides did not get Zimmerit because the schurzen was welded in place and did not usually come off. So I did the same :grin:
Neil

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That is shaping up very well Neil - great Zimmerit, it looks nicely in proportion, no mean feat in this scale. I'm quite relaxed with dimensional errors, so long as they're not miles out and prefer to add bits of detail or try to improve what is there using odds and sods.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Very good work so far, I enjoy reading your threads, the detail you go into is amazing.

One question though, how mush difference is there really between 1:76 and 1:72?
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Chris

Post by Chris »

You notice the size difference when the same tank in each scale are together.

I have the ole nitto pzkw IV and when you place it next to the ESCI kit the difference in size is quite pronounced.

When I was a kid 40 years ago this didn't matter, today it would!
Honcho of ASMMF
ntrocket88
Active Participant

Post by ntrocket88 »

Sir T wrote:...One question though, how mush difference is there really between 1:76 and 1:72?
I think there are three factors. Obviously there is the mathematical difference. 1/72 is about 5.5% bigger on each dimension but about 18% bigger by volume. A 1/72 Panzer IV should be about 5mm longer and 2mm wider, for example. The bigger the vehicle, the more obvious the difference, and it is really the volume change that gives it away. I can generally see the difference on anything bigger than a Jeep, say. On a King Tiger the difference is very dramatic! The second factor is the kit itself. Not all 1/72 kits are, well, 1/72! Some can scale out to 1/68 and some down to 1/74 or less. Same for 1/76. For example, the Revell 1/72 Jagdpanther is actually closer to 1/74 and is almost indistinguishable (even to me...) from the ex-Matchbox 1/76 Jagdpanther that Revell also sells! The last factor is how the model will be viewed. Is the 1/72 model being displayed with 1/76 ones? The Panzer IV is especially tricky, as it may be displayed close to other derivative chassis, such as a Brummbar, Wirbelwind, StuG IV or Jagdpanzer IV that make it stick out like a sore thumb, even if all the other Panzer IV are the same scale. Ultimately though, does it bother you? The Wirbelwind and Hummel that are the only two 1/72 models in my collection have to go! And soon... :twisted:
Neil

Return to “Tanks, AFV and other Military Models”