Sign-up and Chat

Single kit GB of the new-tool Airfix 1/72 Gnat.
Runs Monday, 14 May through Sunday, 10 June.
GB Leader: Brickie
MerlinJones

Re: Sign-up and Chat

Post by MerlinJones »

Thing is James, you cheeky young sweat, you need to appreciate that this Forum has a generous population of people significantly older than yourself and, as such, can be prone to what are euphemistically referred to as 'senior moments'. :ha:

Regards,
Bruce
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

When you are in a hole, stop digging ....

BTW, I will be looking for an appropriate 'smilie' depicting a penalty card being displayed ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Or keep digging until you come out the other side! ;-)
Brickie
Can't be Jiggered with Faffing About

Post by Brickie »

Brews wrote:As an outsider (not doing a new-tool Gnat for this GB), what's the problem with amending the start date to Sunday May 13?

FWIW, I kept thinking that yesterday was May 13, all day yesterday.
None whatsoever as far as I can tell - anyone who started early is hereby absolved of any wrongdoing. :roll:
"If you can fly a Sopwith Camel, you can fly anything!"

A 7 | 12 B
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Now you've spoiled all our fun ... :grin:
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

MerlinJones wrote:Or keep digging until you come out the other side! ;-)
Ah, so ...
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Has anybody started yet? :mrgreen:
Up in the Great White North
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

AndrewR wrote:Has anybody started yet? :mrgreen:
:ha:

I'm at that point where I need to decide which scheme to do and whether or not to go to the trouble of reducing the panel lines.
Whilst some may feel that Airfix have produced a great vlittle kit, I don't. It's good, but certainly not great and not by any means.

-Whilst they've done vents and stuff, they completely missed the chance to do splitter plates.
-The overdone panelling is overdone and, to remedy this, it isn't a 'simple matter'. I accept that, on a small model such as this, the lines appear exaggerated...so even more care should've been taken. It looks very, very diecast.
-The fit is actually quite poor, possibly due to it been somewhat over-engineered. Given that it's a fresh, new tool, Lordy knows what it'll be like in a few years.
-Only the one decal option. The decals are quality and I feel it's spoiling the ship, for a ha'porth of tar, to only offer the one scheme.

Before people jump on me for being unfair to Airfix, this kit was overdue in the first place and had plenty of opportunities to be refined. As it is, it does not compare favourably with anything new from Revel or Italeri, nor from anything from the East.
I also believe that repeated, unqualified statements of wonderfulness for this kit, will encourage complacency on the part of those responsible.
Hornby can and should do better.

Regards,
Bruce

Regards,
Bruce
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

MerlinJones wrote:As it is, it does not compare favourably with anything new from Revel or Italeri, nor from anything from the East.
I'll be doing a quick comparison with some Revell kits tonight if I get chance as frankly, I don't think they are much better, though as with a lot of things this varies from kit to kit. Revell's B-17 came in for criticism recently and the CyberHobby 1/200 Vulcan similarly suffers from too much surface detail.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

MerlinJones wrote:
AndrewR wrote:Has anybody started yet? :mrgreen:
:ha:

I'm at that point where I need to decide which scheme to do and whether or not to go to the trouble of reducing the panel lines.
Whilst some may feel that Airfix have produced a great vlittle kit, I don't. It's good, but certainly not great and not by any means.

-Whilst they've done vents and stuff, they completely missed the chance to do splitter plates.
-The overdone panelling is overdone and, to remedy this, it isn't a 'simple matter'. I accept that, on a small model such as this, the lines appear exaggerated...so even more care should've been taken. It looks very, very diecast.
-The fit is actually quite poor, possibly due to it been somewhat over-engineered. Given that it's a fresh, new tool, Lordy knows what it'll be like in a few years.
-Only the one decal option. The decals are quality and I feel it's spoiling the ship, for a ha'porth of tar, to only offer the one scheme.

Before people jump on me for being unfair to Airfix, this kit was overdue in the first place and had plenty of opportunities to be refined. As it is, it does not compare favourably with anything new from Revel or Italeri, nor from anything from the East.
I also believe that repeated, unqualified statements of wonderfulness for this kit, will encourage complacency on the part of those responsible.
Hornby can and should do better.

Regards,
Bruce

Regards,
Bruce
Whilst it maybe not a great kit, I still think it’s good value for money and could attract young model builders to part with their pocket money.
If Revell or Italeri had released it, I suspect it would have been in the £9-£10 price range (50% higher) although you only get one set of decals you do get two pilots, which is one more than their old Gnat and two more than what Revell or Italeri would have supplied.

Could the way the kit has been engineered, be a sign that a single seat F1 could be on the cards? All it needs is a new body/tail, intakes and canopy and you have a Finnish F1 or the Indian fighter version.

Just a thought.

Regards
Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Assuming younger modellers like their kits to fit together, I'd imagine many would struggle with the intake-fuselage and with the wing-fuselage fit.

The provision of pilots is a plus, although these are not an advance on most older toolings of Airfix kits.
The kit instructions also mention the fitting of the model to one of their new stands. (Cost from Airfix is £2.99 for the Dogfight Double stand). Personally, I'd recommend spending a tenner on 12 of the old style stands, 6 of which are designed for the smaller kits.

A single seater would be welcome to us, but maybe not for the kids.

Regards,
Bruce
Brickie
Can't be Jiggered with Faffing About

Post by Brickie »

For anyone wondering why the GBL hasn't started yet, my current calendar looks like this:

Monday: Mystery Plays rehearsal
Tuesday: grocery shopping at Tesco (other grocery stores are available)
Wednesday: board games with friends
Thursday: Free!
Friday: Mystery Plays rehearsal (other medieval religious plays are available, but none are as awesome)
Saturday: Working during day, free in evening
Sunday: Off to visit the in-laws until Friday. Hopefully also celebrating York City's return to the Football League (other professional football leagues are available, but the Premiership is a bit out of our reach just yet...)

So yeah, suspect I'll be a late starter...
"If you can fly a Sopwith Camel, you can fly anything!"

A 7 | 12 B
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

So, we could see a Blitzbau Thursday ? :grin:
Jagewa
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Jagewa »

Brickie wrote:Tuesday: grocery shopping at Tesco (other grocery stores are available)
I am concerned you have a whole day scheduled for grocery shopping at one store... What are your stores like in the UK??? A bit like the libraries in Jssel's area, that do a show and dinner..... http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=933&start=118 talk about diversifying.. :lol:
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Jagewa wrote: I am concerned you have a whole day scheduled for grocery shopping at one store... What are your stores like in the UK??? A bit like the libraries in Jssel's area, that do a show and dinner..... http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=933&start=118 talk about diversifying.. :lol:
No it just has very slow service. Being British we like to Que in orderly lines for long periods of time :ha: :ha: :ha:
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.

Return to “Gnat's the Spirit!”