Splash's Red Arrow ***finished***

Single kit GB of the new-tool Airfix 1/72 Gnat.
Runs Monday, 14 May through Sunday, 10 June.
GB Leader: Brickie
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Splash's Red Arrow ***finished***

Post by splash »

I have enjoyed building my other Gnat, so I thought I would do another.

Having now learnt all the fixes from JamesPerrin & MerlinJones this should be a quick plain and simple build, I intend to use the decals out of the old Airfix Gnat and build the Red Arrow XR991, I thought about doing it as a YellowJack but chickened out at the thought of trying to get a good yellow coverage.

No point showing the box and parts as you all have seen it before.

Regards
Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Re: Splash's Red Arrow

Post by splash »

Jus a quick update two hours into the build and it's ready for a coat of white primer.

I have taken a photo of the old and new Gnat parts so you can see what extra you now get.

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Change of plan as red is a good colour to sprey I just gave it a thick coat of Citadel Blood Red.

I will give that time to set before sorting out the joins on the intake and undercarriage doors.

I have time to start the old Gnat whilst the paint dries, now what did I do with that photo of the Hot Shots Naval Gnats?

Regards
Splash

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I hate to say it, but this new kit compaired to the old kit does not show 20 years progress in model making.

There are bits of the new kit that are just not up to the mark for example the intakes and the wing tanks, the fit is poor and they need lots of work to get them to look right.

For an average modeler who has some experience building limmited run kits or kits like those made by PM, will have little problems building the kit, but any young new starters I think might have problems so I would not recommend the kit as a starter kit.

JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Citadel Blood Red, interesting I've not heard of that one being used for Signal/Red Arrows Red before. Humbrol are meant to be bringing out an 'Arrows Red' soon which hope will be a good match for their nice, but matt, Signal Red.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Brews wrote:
splash wrote:I hate to say it, but this new kit compaired to the old kit does not show 20 years progress in model making.
You think that the old tool is only 20 years old? Airfix's 1:48 Spitfire 22/24 and Seafire 46/47 are almost 20 years old.

Richard Humm would know, but I fancy that the old tool Gnat is going on 50.

Edit: Richard Humm's lst shows it as first available in 1964. It's 48 this year.
It just shows how old I am :-D

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

The old Airfix Red Arrows decals have gone on with no problems and have fitted well on to the new Gnat.

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

The new Gnat certainly looks good as an Arrer!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

You can fit the new pilots in the old Gnat but they do need to go on a diet.

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Brews wrote:
splash wrote:I hate to say it, but this new kit compaired to the old kit does not show 20 years progress in model making.
Areas where the new tool is decidedly better are:

Decals - much more comprehensive
Canopy - clearer and better shape
Wheel wells and doors
Cockpit interior.

I think the intakes are much better, too.

Having said that, I agree that it's not state-of-the-art moulding. Neither is it state-of-the-art pricing. I think we came to expect better after the Zero and P-40, so this is the source of some disappointment. But it's better, overall.
I fully agree the new Gnat is a good kit and I have fully enjoyed building two of them, it's just if you put the new kit up against the old kit when it's built, you have to look hard to see which Is which.

I think it a case of Airfix got it right in the first place and have found problems improving it, may be they should have spent the time and effort building a new Comet Racer, Sea Hawk or Defiant ?

Please don't get me wrong I'm happy to see Airfix release any new kit, it's some times too easy to pick up on the negative points of a kit and forget the effort Airfix have made to produce a good cheap kit. After all I still think the new Gnat is a good kit and I probably will build another kit as the red/white/grey colours are just calling out to be :grin:
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Looking at your pics, the new Gnat looks much crisper to me and, I suppose, so it should do as the old one is, well, very old! I'm becoming intrigued by the comparisons that are now being drawn amongst those of you who have built both and am surprised that the differences between the two kits aren't greater. I would have expected a new tool to win hands down.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

I'm rather hoping that Airfix will revisit their older products and redesign them. I agree with you about a new defiant and comet but I think the Hobby Boss Seahawk may be more competition than Airfix desire. Then again, how about a new tool Blenheim or Fairey Battle. Now that would be a market Airfix could corner.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

MerlinJones

Re: Splash's Red Arrow ***finished***

Post by MerlinJones »

We are...and we've been exposed to many new kits from many different manufacturers.
Some of us also have a very good memory of how good Airfix has been and are aware that some of those good kits still beat the pants off the opposition today.

Once upon a not-so-distant time, any new Airfix would've been worshipped for simply existing, with critics burnt at the sprue.
I believe that we are a little more discerning and objective, at least on this Forum, in our appraisals.

The decal sheet is brilliant...faultless...and worth the money paid for the kit.
The kit is reasonably accurate in shape, but fit is tricky in too many places to merit worship. I know we are modellers and not assemblers, but this is suppposed to be an entry-level kit. I've read somewhere, recently, that a reason for the poor fit, etc., is down to the manufacturer still settling into their new role.

"Still" settling in!
...And, meanwhile, Hornby are content to push out kits they know are below par.

I feel the new Gnat has a lot going for it, but again demonstrates some clumsy mistakes;
Over-complex intakes.
Excessive panel lines.
Poor slipper tank fit.
No intake splitter plates.
No internal windshield.

None of the above should be expected in a brand new, 21st century kit of a Gnat and, whilst it is definitely an improvement on the old tool Gnat, it isn't 48 years-worth of improvement.

Regards,
Bruce
Jagewa
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Splash's Red Arrow ***finished***

Post by Jagewa »

Nice one splash, beautiful finish on the red, and in the photos seem to me, to almost hide the panel lines.

Cheers
Jim

Return to “Gnat's the Spirit!”