The Tower - General Aviation Chat

No guns, no camo, no military insignia. No tubular buses, intent upon seperating you from your luggage, with operatic aria in the background. This build is for all those smaller aircraft, pottering around the skies, carrying entrepreneurs, rock stars and the occasional lucky beggar.
Runs from 1st June, to 30th June. Moderator is MerlinJones
MerlinJones

Re: The Tower - General Aviation Chat

Post by MerlinJones »

Gliders and even helicopters, assuming you aren't talking about ex-service Hamilcars and the like ;-)
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

MerlinJones wrote:If people have to hammer in their square peg of a kit, into the round hole of the GB, then perhaps the GB isn't for them. :roll:
I'm not, it just occurred to that others might have a Bulldog to hand, I had assumed there would have been more primary civilian users. The Beagle Basset however was sold as a civilian a/c.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

The philosophy I'm pushing against is this idea that people seem to feel so compelled to take part in a GB, that they find something in their stash and then try and bend the GB rules to accommodate it...and then cry foul when the GBL whinges.
The Bulldog looks quite civil because that's where its origins lie.
The original Basset was designed as a liaison and communication aircraft, specifically with the RAF in mind. It was then taken up as an air taxi and became available on the general aviation market.
Many military types become available for private usage, especially once the military stops using them, although not exclusively.
A civil Gnat, for example, might make for a stimulating, albeit expensive, taxi!

Regards,
Bruce
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

It was perfectly clear that ex-millitary a/c were not included. It was never my intention to waterdown the GB theme but some a/c were developed for both markets.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Good to see some concrete interest and Threads opening up.
As I'm hoping to build stuff absent from the threads of others, I've already removed 2 from my potential build pile.

Go for it, Tom!

Regards,
Bruce
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

@Bruce, Sorry I've just realised that you had the same discussion with Brews earlier, my fault for not realising I had missed a page.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

One of the things that put me off small civil planes as a kid, was that they seemed to be predominantly white.
Now I'm older, 'predominantly white' would be a lot easier, paint-wise, than what we get.

It seems that the decals supplied only cover about half the illustrated liveries, leaving you to source matching colours from elsewhere...and that's before you start the masking required.

All that said, it does mean that you can achieve quite colourful planes, to your own tastes and no-one can suggest you've used the 'wrong shade of green'.

Regards,
Bruce
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I agree fully that civil types make great models and have been a sideline of mine for a number of years. Being a tightwad Yorkshireman on the Bonanza I'm going to mask up and spray the blue using the remainder of the Prussian Blue from my D7 build together with orange from the Humbrol range that I've had in stock for a number of years, original reason for purchase long since forgotten. The colours are probably the "wrong" shades but will look good enough for me and will be bold and bright. Why buy yet more increasingly expensive paint when there's near enough already in stock? Sod the colour pedants I say!!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “The Small and Civil/General Aviation GB”