Simon's Chocolate Moth

The "Insect" GB, where any kit -- ground, air, sea -- is allowed as long as it carries an insect name.
Runs June 15th to July 31st.
GB Leaders are Jagewa and SJPONeill.
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Simon's Chocolate Moth

Post by SJPONeill »

Hmmmm....it wasn't a pretty sight this morning...

Fortunately I was able to split most of the seam apart except for around the wingtips...

It probably looks worse than it is. I folded and joined the other side (using the correct glue, the trusty 'stringy' UHU glue) - This looks like it should....

Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Wings assembled with no other problems - apart from the bubbly one! It would have been a bit easier if I had rolled the fold between upper and lower wing surfaces along the leading edge - the key thing to takeaway is that you must roll the fold at least a little as otherwise the fold will just bend and crease when you fold it in half over the spar.

While waiting for the wings to dry, I started on the next phase of the fuselage...adding the two cockpit parts forces the shaping of the upper fuselage and sides...

I've put plenty of glue around all the mating surfaces so ensure a really strong join to hold the fuselage in shape. now starting to look like a fuselage instead on a slightly bent piece of paper...

Have put this aside to dry before I add the rear cockpit....in some ways it feels like a 3D jigsaw: once you figure out the parts it all of a sudden starts to look like the picture on the box...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

In the light of day you can see the difference between the two wings...

I'm clearly not going to proceed with the lower wing as-is but won't be able to print another part til next week when I get into town to some place with a decent A3 printer. Perhaps a problem unique to self-printed (as opposed to commercially printed and published paper models) is that you really need to use the same printer with the same settings through the print run for any given model so that any newly-printed parts match ones printed in previous run....

Off to make use of the (still) decent weather before it all packs up tonight so laundry, wood chopping etc, here's come...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

PS: the fuselage is just sitting in place - it is not and never will attached to THAT wing!

Return to “The Bug House”