Simon's Chocolate Moth

The "Insect" GB, where any kit -- ground, air, sea -- is allowed as long as it carries an insect name.
Runs June 15th to July 31st.
GB Leaders are Jagewa and SJPONeill.
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Simon's Chocolate Moth

Post by SJPONeill »

I originally received these models in e-format from Terry and Rosie through the wings of peace forum as promotional issues...I started them a few times but fat finger stumbled over the exhaust housings even blown-up to 1/48(ish)...each is a Tiger Moth in Kiwi markings and this time I really hope to finish at least one (yeah, I know: you've heard it all before from me, this finishing models thing)...

Whitakers Chocolate version

Mount Cook Airlines version - on the only page you can see paty of the sheets for my first attempt at the Whitakers version - I usually print paper models off in duplicate sets in cases of whoopsies...

...and an early NZ top dressing version...

Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
SJPONeill

Re: Tiger Moths (all the way) down under

Post by SJPONeill »

You can see in the bottom two images my spar template for the upper wing dihedral..originally I tried to make the spare from card as it is easier t cut but this wouldn't hold the angle for the dihedral...

From the middle image, you can also see the Clearfile folder in which I keep a lot of my A3 paper models for protection - as a build progresses, I transfer the parts to a large A3 envelope to keep them all together while they are flat...once they become 3D, I have a box for the parts and model just as I do for 'regular' models...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
SJPONeill

Re: Simon's Chocolate Moth

Post by SJPONeill »

I had a brief moment of panic when I couldn't find this thread...although not to worry too much as I am a little behind the eight ball here owing to an unscheduled visit from the little people...

Tonight, I took the opportunity to spray each of the three By Air Classique Tiger Moths with a top coat that protects the rpinted surface from glue smudges etc during construction...yep, paper models are a bit different it that the final top coat goes on first...I've already decided to just make the Whitakers Chocolate version but it is more efficient with the spray can to do as many sheet as possible in a single session

You can see the uncured top coat on the left side sheet showing up as a shadow on the card...

I'll leave the sheets overnight to cure properly and then starting cutting tomorrow...
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

What did you spray them with ? That's something I'd like to try.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

This is interesting, I've never seen anyone build one of these paper models. Will you be using PVA for glue?
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

John

This is the surface coat I use...

Progress tonight starts off with a shot of some of the tools of the trade...

A sharp knife with a fresh #11 scalpel blade

15cm steel straight edge to cut along for straight line cuts

a selection of water colour pencils for edge colouring....

A shot of the instructions...

After cutting the fuselage part out, I roll it on the ball of my thumb with a paintbrush handle to introduce a curve to the top of the fuselage - if you don't roll curved parts they will crack or crease...

...so that it looks like this...the other parts will hold it into shape in a wee while...

...and here is the fuselage part with the two reinforcing pieces that line the fuselage...

Shaun

You can use PVA but it tends to deform and stretch the paper if you are not careful - I prefer Uhu glue (yes, the good old stringy stuff) as it does not affect the paper...I'd show you some shots (and also glue the reinforcing strips into the fuselage but I left it in the garage and it is too cold and wet to back outside tonight...stay tuned for tomorrow night's episode to see glueing...

Simon
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Thanks on the fixative.
Do you mean UHU in a stick ? That's what I've been using.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

My wife is a teacher and uses those UHU sticks quite a lot, in fact I can see one peeping out of her pencil case on the other side of the table as I'm typing this. I see what you mean with PVA, I believe that there can be shrinkage as the glue sets, which I'd forgotten about. This is very interesting and certainly very different to building with good old plastic!

IPMS#12300
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Nope the stick stuff -even the socalled permanent stuff - has dubious longevity especially if under load...UHU does the traditional 'stringy' glue in a tube and also a water-based version similar to but IMHO better than PVA...pictures to follow tonight...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

These are the two UHUs that I use for paper modelling - the water-based formula in the bottle is really good when you want to shape the paper to fit as the glue soaks in and makes it quite soft but it does not stick well to any coated (including the spray coat I use) paper; the UHU in the tube while stick just about anything even though its characteristic stringiness can be a real pain...For large areas I apply direct to the paper and spread with a defunct credit card; more precise application is with a tooth pick...

Tonight on the Tiggie...

...fixed the interior strengtheners for the fuselage, built the rear cockpit - two brown strips are the shoulder harnesses that I'll drop on tomorrow; I have coloured the backs of then with a brown water-colour pencil...lick and colour...doubled and cut out the base of the fuselage...and coloured the interior edges of the rear fuselage...

...here's a close-up of the rear cockpit...

According to the instructions, the cockpits go in after the fuselage is assembled but I'd rather put them in prior to make sure I get a decent fit all around....
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

The unforgiving flash has caught the reflection of light through the water colour edging on the seat - it actually looks quite brown; also make mental note to self not to forget to edge colour the edges of the cockpit tomorrow...
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Very nice. I assume to start with everything is a bit wibbly wobbly, but once the strengtheners are in, does it all stiffen up nicely (as the actress said to the bishop!).

Night? it's the middle of the day :grin: I forget sometimes to take into account the time differences, how many hours in front of the UK are you?

IPMS#12300
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

I'm using 110gsm paper which is already reasonably stiff and the surface coat also helps firm things up...It's also quite amazing how rigid paper can be with the most minor of strengthening or reinforcement - there are some real engineering marvels out there...I have two different 1/33 Ilya Murometz bombers in my stash and both have spars of only 1mm card...sometimes it's all in the folding...

At the moment I think that we are twelve hours ahead of you...as I type it is 8:28am on Friday 29 June...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

A little detail work around the fuselage tonight but forgot to take pictures...added the cowling and test-fit the rear cockpit - not only does everything fit so far but it even looks kinda OK...
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I built several mainly SciFi, paper models when I didn't have the space to plastic model. I enjoyed them greatly as you could focus on construction and not have to worry about painting!
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)

Return to “The Bug House”