Simon's Chocolate Moth

The "Insect" GB, where any kit -- ground, air, sea -- is allowed as long as it carries an insect name.
Runs June 15th to July 31st.
GB Leaders are Jagewa and SJPONeill.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Simon's Chocolate Moth

Post by ShaunW »

This is a whole world of modelling that I've never entered, although I once tried Origami (spelt right?) back in the 70's!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

I'm getting peckish. It must be the mention of chocolate. :)

"Is there a bar of Fruit and Nut in the house?" :razz:
Up in the Great White North
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by SJPONeill »

ShaunW wrote:This is a whole world of modelling that I've never entered, although I once tried Origami (spelt right?) back in the 70's!
An example of what is available can be seen here (you will need to sign up and make a few posts in order to be able to download the models) - there are many simpler and more complex models available free to download at http://www.papermodelers.com;, http://www.kartonbau.de;, and http://www.paper-replika.com; to name just a few...www.ecardmodels.com has a wide range of models at all levels of complexity available for sale and download. Hard copy printed models can also be purchased online from a range of publishers, mainly in Europe e.g. http://www.orlik.pl; but check out http://www.papermodelstore.com; in the US...

While, as James says, they do save on painting, most are a little more complex than just cut and glue as there is less room for error when you can not fill and repaint over whoopsies plus folding and bending paper is an artform in itself...

The main attraction for me is the massive range of unusual subject available in paper/card that will never ever be released as mainstream or cottage plastic/resin kits...that they are generally incredibly cheaper than a comparative plastic model doesn't hurt either...I normally post new paper acquisitions in the 'my stash has grown' thread either those I have bought or major items that I have found available for LEGAL download...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
Molly-new

Post by Molly-new »

Interesting and informative. Has there ever been a group build involving paper kits? Just wondering as this seems to be generating quite a bit of interest.
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Some of the older and bolder may correct me on this but I do not believe that there has been a paper GB although it has come up a number of times on GB discussion looking at more generic non-plastic builds...to do one, I'd recommend that the free models by Gary Pilsworth (either from here http://dpileggispicks.com/garpilsworth/index.html; or his listing at papermodelers.com)be the recommended ones as they are free, relatively simple, in a range of interesting aircraft and scifi subjects and come with decent instructions. This wouldn't preclude anyone from attempting something more complex and there are paper models that take complexity to a whole new level of pain but would guide first timers to models that are doable in the time frame allocated...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Aha...just figured out to filter out just Gary's models in the PM library - click on the downloads tab and then hit the search button under the navigation heading (not the search link in the main header bar) and enter pilsworth as the search condition...pretty much something for everyone there, I'd say...

PS I'm not sure but you might need to be registered to see the list - certainly you will to download from it...
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Interesting stuff and I'll bet papers models are quite difficult to begin with one of the main problems being, as you have pointed out, that there is much less room for error given that filling, paint touch-ups and particularly sanding (i.e. the staples of corrective surgery in plastic modelling) are not really on the options list!

IPMS#12300
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

But you can use staples with paper!
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Too true, Bruce...

No progress in the last week as real world stuff gets in the way...priority this week is getting the Airacobra out of the way for Airacobra GB so Brews doesn't beat me up...thought I might get some part cutting and folding don't while away last week but the guy in the room next door is packing up our A-4s and Macchis off to their new home in the US and chatting with him after dinner was an interesting but unexpected diversion...so will start to gear this one up from...just have to hope that I won't run out of staples...
TimJ

Post by TimJ »

Nice work so far.
2020 A:35 B:18. 2021 A: 51 B:25 C:21 2022 A:63 B:23 C:11 2024 A:7 B:4 C:13
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

Very interesting build. Will follow this one. :)
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Which is a damn good nudge to get back into it and get on with the build. :grin:
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Typically, I am well behind the curve on this one in the last frew days of the GB (and I've also been a Clayton's assistant GBL for Jim)...

The forward cockpit...a little tip here when working with paper models is to trim much of the excess paper from around a part; if this is not done, the bulk of the additional bulk of the extra paper but dostory the part when it is being cut out...

A handy tool is a set of nail clippers - these are great for cutting around curved lines by nibbling away at the curve...

The cockpit after having the edges of the paper coloured with water colours...

Using a straight edge and the BACK of my blade to score along the fold line for the main cockpit part

The completed forward cockpit...

The lower wing with the internal support attached...before fixing the internal supports, I punched holes where the wing struts will go...I didn't cut out the slot in the upper wing for the struts (if constructed as a single U-shape as per the instructions) as I thought it would look ugly...

The starboard lower wing after folding along the leading edge (rolled and shaped over a thin paint brush handle) and clipped along the edge. This might be a bit of a mess as I didn't think and used the water-based UHU glue because it was closer and convenient. This really softened the trailing edge (hence all the clips) andx I'm hoping it will straighten out as it dries. If not, I think I have a spare part printed out...it needs to be printed in A# so I can't just do it at home...
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

It's great to see some more on this choccy moth as it something very different to the usual plastic construction that we all know and love - I hope that wing trailing edge will straighten out for you.

IPMS#12300
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

It;s morning and I am actually scared to open up the blinds in the lounge to see how the wing looks in the harsh light of day...

Return to “The Bug House”