I hate it when this happens .... * * Finished * *

A single type GB, the Bell P-39 (or P-400) Airacobra in any scale, boxing, etc.
Runs June 18th to July 15th.
GB Leader is Brews.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I hate it when this happens .... * * Finished * *

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

What should have been a simple build turned "project" when during my research into 601 Sqn aircraft and the Airacobra, I ran into:

Airacobra I AH574

And with apologies to Wikipedia for borrowing this:

AH574 was initially ordered in 1940 for the Royal Air Force (RAF) as part of the Airacobra I serial number block AH570-AH739 (No. 601 Squadron RAF). When the Airacobra type was rejected by the RAF, AH574 was transferred to the Royal Navy for test work.

On 4 April 1945, AH574 became part of aviation history when test pilot Captain Eric "Winkle" Brown landed it on the flight deck of HMS Pretoria Castle - the first carrier landing made by an aircraft with retractable tricycle gear - due to a declared emergency during initial trials for landings on rubber decks planned for future carriers.

In his autobiography, Captain Brown described the circumstances thus:

I had already collected a few 'firsts' in aviation, and I rather wanted to be the first pilot to put a tricycle aircraft down on a flight deck. The Airacobra was not officially cleared for such a landing, but the boffins had told me privately that it would probably take the strain.
This was not on the official programme at all, but I hoped that I could persuade Captain Caspar John of the Pretoria Castle to turn a blind eye to what I had in mind. I wrote to him beforehand and asked him if he would be prepared to take me aboard in the event of sudden engine trouble. He at once saw what I was after, of course, and was good sport enough to go along with it. He suggested that it might be a good idea if my engine trouble occurred on my last approach.
Strangly enough it did. I began my approach, then, just for the record, called up the ship and complained that my engine was running rough. Would they accept me? Back came Captain John's instant 'affirmative'. I put the hook down, and caught the wire with no trouble at all.

The trouble started when the time came to take off, as the Airacobra had a long take-off run - which was one of the reasons behind the type's rejection by the RAF - and 'Winkle' only managed to get airborne because Pretoria Castle was steaming full speed ahead at the time.

OK, so how can any red-blooded modeler resist ? Anyway, I did find a decal sheet from Fantasy Printshop with AH574 but I'm not going to look for it -- I can do everything but the datum reference marks from my decal stash. This aircraft has also been built by forum member 'diamant' and his father http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=379&start=192.

Here, compliments of a thread on Britmodeller, is a photo/diagram of how the hook was installed and dropped down.

And, oh yes, the "star" of the show, the Airfix kit itself ...

John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: I hate it when this happens ....

Pix are up.

We have a website for photo storage & display .... the FTP server on the host was down for about an hour.

BTW, back on the aircraft -- I have no pix of the overall aircraft, but I am going to assume that as a late war test bird & personal hack, it carried no armament and will build my model as such. Can anyone confirm or refute that ?
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Possibly, the color profile isn't big enough for me to see, it'd be great if someone had that decal set and could put up a better picture ...
Jagewa
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Jagewa »

I'm sure I've seen Sanitago and his father have done this one, he might have some reference info to share. http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=379&start=192

Cheers
Jim
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Thanks, Jim, that is a great help and also says I should pay more attention to the Workbench threads :oops:

I just got some info from 'peebeep' that matches with Santiago's model, and supports Brews comments on the patchy paint, so I'm in better shape ....

You guys are great !
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

The calibration marking should be easy to print yourself. Just a 2x2 check and then use a circle cutter to slice it out at the right size.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I've actually never printed a decal in my life; it's on my list of things to learn, but I think I bought the wrong paper and haven't gone back for the right stuff.

I do have plain colored decal sheets that I can cut from easy enough.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

You'll note I have modified one of the original pix to show the same aircraft built by forum member 'diamant' and his father http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=379&start=192.

And I'm adding these, courtesy of 'peebeep' which clear up the armament question (20mm yes, rest apparently no), and show the gear doors as removed.

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Brews wrote:All those camo/panel demarcations sure make a change from "standard" camo patterns! I wonder what it looked like on the starboard side.
I found a shot of AH573 when it was under inital eval at Bascombe Down in 1941 -- it has an odd Sky pattern on the rear fuselage. I ought to go on a mission to find a photo of it at other periods ....

Update:

Yesterday and today, I took down most the rivets and panel lines on the fuselage, wings, and tail, I filled then sanded down the underwing gun mounts. I also cut out a few pieces in the wing and fuselage then started on a simple landing gear bay which I plan to sand smooth around the edges then throw a simple "cover" on and make some detail motions under it ....

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I have mostly sanded off all the rivets and raised lines. I may put some panel lines back with a pencil after painting. I filled the gun troughs and sanded also. I put a rough coat of primer on to see what I need to fix up.

I decided to display this on the ground, so I made up some main gear wells to hide the kit innards; nothing fancy but it did take some carving & fitting to be sure they would clear the wing & fuselage at the root.

And I loaded the nose with shot; hopefully enough. This caused a major panic because, unbeknownst to me, on one side of the fuselage the CA refused to cure and when I started playing with the halves, it promptly ran all over -- I think I saved it, but only because I'm taking off all the raised detail anyway.

With the spare canopy, my friend sent the Eduard PE set, which appears largely un-useful, but I'll take seat belts and maybe the IP from it.

Someone asked, I think -- the Squadron vac canopy only comes with one copy -- and the Falcon USAAF set with just the doors.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I hadn't noticed, now I'll have to ....
I do know my rudder has a chunk missing or maybe just not molded well that I have to fix.
I'll see what you do ... :)
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Now this looks interesting, I must build a model of this one myself at some point.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Complete waste of time. I stuck pieces of the Eduard interior in here but their IP isn't great and there isn't much else. I faked a stick, built up the sides of the seat, added seatbelts. It really needs a coaming over the IP, but none of this is particularly visible. I'm not going to open the doors after all.

Anyway, moving on ..... After the picture, I glued up the fuselage and it is drying. I did forget the door windows but think I can get them in easy enough.

Next is add the wing and tail and clean it up for painting. I put myself at 50%.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Oh, I think I can get the kit windows in, but I may just try the vac ones.
Regardless there isn't much to see and I must move on ....

I should point out the litttle white piece is forcing the IP away from the fuselage wall to get it centered and not the start of some detail switch plate ....
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

No pix today, I got diverted to something else and now it's dark.

I put on the wing and tails. I filled the seams & gaps and then mostly sanded them down. Won't take much to finish tomorrow.

I had same problem Brews mentioned, the wing & fuselage are canted. Being forewarned, I tried to fix this and thought I had, but by the time the glue had dried, it still seemed a small problem. I "visually" fixed it by careful alignment of the two tail pieces. I'll know better when the gear goes on, but I think it's close enough.

I'll leave my % at 50, I was probably a bit optomistic when I put that up; it's better now. I have paint, decals, and details to occupy the other 50%, including that rather nasty spinner. I may lop off the cockpit top and just use the whole Squadron canopy frames and all. I need to play with that.

Return to “The P-39 Airacobra”