Prisca's Fighting Lavochkin *Quit due to stress*

UAMF's Signature Event.
Runs 1 - 31 August.
GB Leader: Gregers
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Re: Prisca's Fighting Lavochkin *Started*

Post by Sissel »

Got the fuselage together except for propellor and front.

Moving forward. I do wonder if I can finish at around midnight, I really do doubt it. Will see how far I get.

The Geiranger fjord and the Flåm railway is a must see for any tourist. :)

Sisesl
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
Old_Tonto
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Old_Tonto »

You have loads of time. Once the nose is on & canopy attached you can get the paint on. Easy :lol:
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Sissel

Post by Sissel »

I've just realized it's impossible for me to finish in 6-7 hours. I'm building too slow, fiddling around too much, stressing, can't relax and enjoy it.
Sure I could rush it and force a finish, but that would result in a terrible looking model. For it to be decent, I have to stop now and continue later where I take time on the different parts as filling, sanding, gluing, scraping, priming, painting and decalling.
Blitzes are not for me, it's too much stress as well. I'd rather build in silence and watch you guys.
So I'm stopping now. I'm too out of practice, and it's not for me. Just don't feel like continuing.

Sorry.

Sissel
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Re: Prisca's Fighting Lavochkin *Quit due to stress*

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Maybe I missed something along the way but why are you rushing to complete this in 6 to 7 hours? These are set for 24 hours. Either straight 24 or 2 sets of 12. You should have plenty of time. I think you've set the bar way to high and are causing you're own stress levels to skyrocket. Take a breather and come back and finish this. You can do it.
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Sissel

Post by Sissel »

I would have had to finish at midnight or about as I have so much going on tomorrow (that came up today) and I need the sleep! Especially as I didn't get much sleep last night. So I wouldn't be able to build it in 24 hours, but 9,5 hours or so. My week is full, so is next. Impossible to fit in a blitz.
I automatically stress when there is a deadline. I knew deep down I couldn't do it. And I build slow, I'm not super fast like you guys. Plus I have a headache just getting worse and worse... (and no, tablets dont work)
That's just the way it is.

Sissel
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Bad luck Sissel.

Dirk is right you do have the 12:12 option.

Don't stress out it is for fun.

Regards
Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Prisca wrote:I would have had to finish at midnight or about as I have so much going on tomorrow (that came up today) and I need the sleep! Especially as I didn't get much sleep last night. So I wouldn't be able to build it in 24 hours, but 9,5 hours or so. My week is full, so is next. Impossible to fit in a blitz.
I automatically stress when there is a deadline. I knew deep down I couldn't do it. And I build slow, I'm not super fast like you guys. Plus I have a headache just getting worse and worse... (and no, tablets dont work)
That's just the way it is.

Sissel
That's too bad I was really enjoying your build. Well I hope we can look forward to seeing it completed at some time in the not to distant future. ;-)
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Old_Tonto
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Old_Tonto »

Bad luck but if it is causing you so much grief then stop.

You will be better prepaired next time. :lol:
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Tough luck Sissel. I would definately finish it however.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Sissel

Post by Sissel »

Yes, I am going to finish it. It will be my first finished model. Will continue on it a bit daily Image
After getting a little distance from it and calming myself down, I redid the cockpit color to a more correct one, and primed the fuselage.
If anyone is interested you can follow the build in my workbench thread.

Thanks.

Sissel
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

No problem with your commitment and I'm sure you did the planning, although in future, you might want to re-visit the planning aspect.
From this experience, which has been a harsh reality check, staying realistic is vital.
Losing tomorrow was clearly problematic and you might find two 12-hour sessions easier to manage.

All that said, it's supposed to be an enjoyable pastime. ;-)

Chill yourself, Missus.

Regards,
Bruce
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Glad that you joined in, regardless. No shame, most of us have tanked one of these, maybe more. Sometimes it all works, sometimes not ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

It was a great effort. I look forward to reading the rest of the build in workbench. Nice one and I hope your head and finger get better soon.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Sissel

Post by Sissel »

Thanks guys.

I will tell you what happened. I was planning to search up references (I had done a little, but not much) in the weekend. But the weekend flew away due to drama practice and my birthday, and other things. I had written down something on a note which I somehow misplaced and thus forgetting what I had written.
Then Monday came and I knew in the morning I would have to finish same day, cause of events on Tuesday which I had just found out.
My planned start was 4pm. So when I got home at 2pm I could study the instructions and plan the steps in the building process.
But I rushed into it at 2.30pm cause of the little time I had available. Meaning I just jumped into it, not caring about references or real plane accuracies and just was having a "fun build".
Having had almost no sleep and knowing I would have to get to bed early, I had a strong feeling I couldn't do this build in 9-10 hours.
But I gave it a go. Building slowly, out of practice, forgetting stuff and just fiddling around not getting anywhere, was a bad start.
Then the uploading of pics and writing here took more time than I was aware of. The hours flew by and I was seriously getting stressed and I did not relax nor enjoy the build.
With the camo paint, masking, Klear coat drying + no practice of decal handling for 5 years I knew I had to stop.
And the headache was getting worse.
If I do attempt a blitz again, it will be when I have proper TIME for 24 hour build or even two 12 hour session, and it will be when I have built several models and have "relearned" the process of decalling etc. I could for instance have saved lots of time gluing wings together while doing the cockpit.
Seeing I would forget something so simple as to paint the interior before gluing fuselage together is a newbie mistake, and just shows how "out" I am.
If these events today hadn't turned up yesterday, I would have been able to plan the build before the start at 4pm and I'm sure I would have enjoyed it, knowing I would have plenty of time. 24 hours.
So I guess you can say this blitz didn't work cause of unplanned events turning up same day I had planned the build. Plus me being out of practice.
My first and only blitz was a LA-5 in 2006 I think, I can't remember any problems and I think that build flew along nicely. No stress.

Sissel
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Hi Sissel.
Cheers for that and I know how real life can mess up a normal build let alone a blitz. The way I figure it though is you have had your first 12 hour stretch. you still have your second 12 hours if you want to finish it?.
How say the rest of you guys. Can Sissel finish the blitz if she wants to?.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein

Return to “Blitzbau XI, August 2012”