Sissel's F-16AM and F-16BM

A GB for aircraft in NATO Tiger Meet markings,
Runs 1 September to 14 October 2012.
Moderators are: SoftScience, Jssel, DirkPitt289.
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Re: Sissel's F-16AM and F-16BM

Post by Sissel »

I've had bad results with Vallejo thinner, so I stick to water for now. But am still in the experimenting phase.

Sissel
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
Jagewa
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Jagewa »

Interesting stuff about the Vallejo, I just ditched my rotten old enamels, and bought some Vallejo Model Colors yesterday.. including some of that Ghost Grey primer.

Did you brush the primer on?

Cheers
Jim
Sissel

Post by Sissel »

Hi Jim,
Yes I brushed it on. It was so thin and easy to get around, the result looked great. Almost so I wouldn't wanna ruin the "paint" job with coats of paint! :ha:

Sissel
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I must admit that I'm a bit lazy and have never followed the advice to wash kits in warm soapy water before starting construction and so far have got away with it - but I've never built a Hobby Boss kit and maybe their stuff does require such action. That's why I was wondering about the paint preparation. For acrylics I have used Tamiya for many years and as a thinner I often use car windscreen wash fluid available here under the Halfords brand. The fluid is blue but does not affect the colour of the paints. Tamiya thinners are good but a bit pricey. Some modellers swear by isopropyl alcohol for thinning acrylics and others use good old water. Experimentation is the key to see what works for you. I am thinking of giving Vallejo a try though as a lot of modellers seem to like their products.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Sissel

Post by Sissel »

I never used to wash kits either, heck I didn't even now about it until I started again now. But back then I was using enamels. These two are my first ones to wash. :-D
They are Hasegawa btw.
I would definitely recommend Vallejo. It's easy in a way you don't need to stir and stir, give em a good shake. Just make sure you have a good grip or one goes flying out the window...

How's the F100 going ?? :ha:

Sissel
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Sorry, where did I get the belief they were HB kits from? It must be an age thing, I'm getting past my best!

The F100 is currently sitting on the Shelf of Shame together with a large Boeing 747 and a Beechcraft Bonanza, I'll get around to them before the end of the decade I'm sure - heck the F100 has only been waiting 12 years :-D

IPMS#12300
Sissel

Post by Sissel »

ShaunW wrote:Sorry, where did I get the belief they were HB kits from? It must be an age thing, I'm getting past my best!
No comment! :ha:

I need to move up in speed on these ones.
Woke up at 11.15am today! Feeling a little tired, and it doesn't help just being back from massage. But, I'm planning to make great progress as tomorrow and rest of weekend will be busy.
Then the next two weeks will fly by and suddenly it's departure day and I'll be gone rest of September. Would be great to have these finished next week.

Sissel
Justin1980
Active Participant

Post by Justin1980 »

Where are you off to Sissel?

Justin
If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

If you're going on holiday then lucky you. I've just got back from a lovely two weeks in Austria which passed way too quickly and now I'm back at work :sad:

IPMS#12300
Sissel

Post by Sissel »

I'm spending two lovely weeks at Corfu (Greece), with probably trips to Parga (Greek mainland) and Albania.

I have put two coats of Klear on the tails. I have test fitted to fuselage and it seems good. Will put decals on before attaching to body.
Am halfway done putting undercarriage to fuselage, painted wheels which kept falling off the toothpicks!

Halfway through overpainting armament (had wrong color at first). Had done 3-4 then the 5th got V158 instead of V154 simply because I dipped brush in wrong palette. :oops:

A primer test for myself on spare tail followed with coat of paint and klear mix, compared with other spare tail painted with only paint and klear mix, show a KLEAR difference. Tail with primer on, the paint dried lots faster and the results looks to be thinner. So I'm definitely gonna

Still haven't gotten to masking the canopies yet, will do that later tonight, after my finger has stopped aching.
Yep, she has done it again! Had an accident sawing with a knife on some sprue part, used too much force (it was a tricky one, sprue cutter too big to fit), knife slipped and you guess the rest. But I'm not gonna give you the HIGHLY DRAMATIC story of me running down the stairs to the sink, getting some plaster after pressing, then to realize there were blood on the floors, carpet, stairs, ehm... etc. etc. A little deep but shouldn't be a problem. :-D

Okay.. need to recharge camera.

Sissel
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I bet Corfu will be lovely at this time of year, not as hot as mid-summer or as crowded. The knife accident doesn't sound too good though and I hope your finger is now OK - you've got to suffer for your art, girl :grin:

IPMS#12300
Justin1980
Active Participant

Post by Justin1980 »

Enjoy Corfu you lucky girl! :ha:

Am glad the klear has helped,

Regards

Justin
If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Sissel

Post by Sissel »

This is just before I started to prime the bodies. I'm not happy with the priming, it came on thick, I should've thinned way more. But it will dry nice, I hope.
I already see several places that need a wee bit filler.

One of my 'chuck it in' drawers, for certain peeps amusement, Ian might not like it though! :-D

And as I mentioned in Ian's thread. I don't know why I painted the tails as most will be covered with decals anyway.
This is the nervecracking moment, you bet I was nervous!

First decal on, after fiddling back and forth, accidentally moved it when pressing down (didn't wait long enough), thinking ok now I've stuffed up! But I managed to get it back to it's place just in time. Tails not discolored, it's just the microset.

Phew! Ok so I'm halfway. Am still trembling! Will seal decals with Klear before switching to other side. Am terrified of messing them up.
I know there was something else I was suppose to write here, but have forgotton, soz 'bout that. :roll:

Now it's football and beer time! :beer:

Skål!
Sissel
Draken
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by Draken »

Those tails look gorgeous Sissel :-D !!!

You are doing a great job with these kits!

Cheers,
Eugenio
2013 - A:2 B:2
2012 - A:0 B:2
-------------------------------------------------------------------
"An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Justin1980
Active Participant

Post by Justin1980 »

Prisca wrote: One of my 'chuck it in' drawers, for certain peeps amusement, Ian might not like it though! :-D

So your OCD does not extend to the drawers of your desk then? :ha: I bet Ian is going to be twitching at the thought! :mrgreen:

The decals look superb Sissel, they have turned out really well.

Regards

Justin

Return to “When Tigers Meet”