Chip's Falcon with teeth.

A GB for aircraft in NATO Tiger Meet markings,
Runs 1 September to 14 October 2012.
Moderators are: SoftScience, Jssel, DirkPitt289.
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Re: Chip's Falcon with teeth.

Post by Ian »

Good job with the static dischargers. Personally, I would have left them off till the end to make sure I didn't break them off.
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
Molly-new
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Molly-new »

Ian wrote:Good job with the static dischargers. Personally, I would have left them off till the end to make sure I didn't break them off.
I wish I had as I managed to lose one whilst putting the primer coat on. :boom:
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

It's coming together well though Chip, lost static dischargers aside. I tend take off any moulded on antennas etc as I always, always, knock the damn things off handling the model during construction and painting.... and sometimes knock the damn things off putting the finished model into the display cabinet.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Molly-new wrote:
Ian wrote:Good job with the static dischargers. Personally, I would have left them off till the end to make sure I didn't break them off.
I wish I had as I managed to lose one whilst putting the primer coat on. :boom:
I've heard that the common or garden toothbrush can be a useful source of scale static discharge wicks.

Regards,
Bruce
Molly-new

Post by Molly-new »

Nice one Bruce, saves me stretching any more sprue.

I have now painted the two-tone grey colour, only losing one more static discharger in the process:

I am going to use an oil wash for the first time for the panel lines. What is the best way to go about this? I have perused the "Finishing Tips" but cannot find any info. Basically I need an 'idiots guide - from start to finish'.

Cheers in advance. :grin:
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

In the meantime, give your model a coating of Klear and let it cure properly. This will protect your model from future weatheringnesses.

Before you start, do you really want to enhance lines that may not be evident on the real thing?

Whatever medium you use, be aware of what you need to clean it off and keep some handy.

Washes should be very, very, very dilute versions of your material. They should be thin enough for capillary action to do the work for you.

Avoid black and opt for darker shades of the colour through which your lines run, or a 'neutral' colour, such as a grey.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Chip,

If you really want to break up the solid surface colors with a wash then take merlin's advice and go with a highly diluted color only a few shades darker than the plane.

However, in the case of grey jets, you might be able to do the job with a #2 lead pencil. I did this on the F-15 that is posted somewhere in the aviation forum.

Just draw the panels in and then clear coat the kit. Don't try to color in every single little panel line. Things will look to stark. Instead go for the control surfaces, and maybe some other major structural panels, like the circular things on the spine. These tend to look dirty on many F-16s.

If you decide to do this after you apply the decals, take care not to tear them with a sharp pencil. You can clear coat the kit after the decals go on to protect them a bit.

Good luck.
Molly-new

Post by Molly-new »

Thanks for the advice. In the end I went with a very thin grey wash on the bottom:

and slightly darker on the top:

Softscience wrote: Don't try to color in every single little panel line. Things will look to stark. Instead go for the control surfaces, and maybe some other major structural panels, like the circular things on the spine.
I see what you mean about too stark with them all done, but as most of the top is covered with decals I think I will get away with it this time. :-D
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
Molly-new

Post by Molly-new »

Sorry about the lack of input into this GB, but I don't seem to get that much time for modelling these days.

Due to the wet weather today though I had to remain indoors, and therefore managed to get this one finished:

This is one of those kits that is a joy to build as it goes together with hardly any filling or sanding. The decals are well designed and went on with ease, being durable enough to be moved around to get the correct positioning. Some of the smaller decals are a bit pointless though, there are three . 's to go on the bottom access panels!!

All in all a very enjoyable build and a fun GB to be in. Thanks to the Mods for running this and giving me the chance to add another Tiger to the display.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Wow, that is fantastic....
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

it looks great, the decals have toned down the panel lines just the right amount.

great work well done.

Regards
Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Viking
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Viking »

oh, lovely :)
Completed: not counting. Bought: trying not to let Mrs Viking count
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

Wow stunning. Looks amazing. Love the scheme, those stripes look so fierce.

Sissel
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...

Return to “When Tigers Meet”