Explosions at sea - Any tips?

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
Jaime
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Explosions at sea - Any tips?

Post by Jaime »

My Pit Road 1-700 Luftwaffe set has finally arrived so now I have everything I need to do my diorama of HMS Winchelsea getting bombed by JU88's in 1943.

The ship was disabled by a near miss and I want to represent the moment of detonation, along the lines of these vids & images:

Video of 600lbs bomb explosion: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8297951.stm

Still of same explosion:

Two stills of a WW2 mine being detonated:

So, does anyone have any tips for modelling such a thing in 1-700 scale?
Complete: Airfix 1/400 Mary Rose, 1/72: Airfix Swordfish Mk1 Floatplane, Airfix R.A.F. R.E.8, Airfix Hannover CL.111a, Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero, Curtiss P40B Warhawk
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Re: Explosions at sea - Any tips?

Post by mattbacon »

I did my "shell splashes" for the D-Day landing seascape below the "Flak Bait" Marauder diorama using "micro balloon" powder, thin superglue and fine wires. The micro balloons are tiny glass spheres, and I built them up with repeated dipping in thin superglue then a tub of balloon powder. I'm sure you could build a bigger more complex shape by doing a bunch of "cones" and then clumping the together hedgehog fashion with some more glue and balloons. I think the micro balloon powder came from Precision Materials...

This is how they came out:

Bestest,
M.
bobblelink
Active Participant

Post by bobblelink »

Clydeside models do nice 1/1200 shell splashes that might do for small 1/700 scale ones.
currently on the go: Revell Blenheim I, Italeri Me210, Revell HMS victory, Revell 1/144 p-47
completions in 2012:8, completions in 2013: 13, Completions in 2014:10, Completions in 2015: 9, Completions in 2016: 8, Completions in 2017: 9, Completions in 2018: 12, completions in 2019:7, completions in 2020: 17
iggie

Post by iggie »

Looking at the shell splashes as suggested above, perhaps silver foil crumpled and pressed into the shapes you want?
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
BlohmWolf

Post by BlohmWolf »

Some great tips here. I would try to use clear plastic card cut in spiky triangles and then spread them out like in the link, but use WoodLand Scenics Water effect.
"Can not finish a model at all"

"You can get more of what you want, with a kind word and a wallet, than just a kind word".

Currently Building: FROG Wildcat, Fokker DR1 Red baron and some other things...
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

I used cotton wool teased up into shape and then 'dyed' with colour washes of watercolour. The paint stiffens the material.
So many models, so little time.
Tim Reynaga
Active Participant

Post by Tim Reynaga »

Jaime,
I sometimes use paper mache (as with this 1/1200 scale Enterprise). It is solid, but can be improved with careful painting.

regards,
Tim
vacant

Post by vacant »

I attempted to make some water explosions but like most others, did not manage to get it quite right. I used some kind of fine fibrous material that I bought in Poundland - I'm not sure what it was supposed to be used for, possibly as some kind of insulation. I found it to be better than cotton wool because it was thinner, easier to pull into shape and it kept its shape pretty well. I needed to pull the strands more vertically to make it look more realistic.

The submarine is about 30 cm long and made from a few bits of plastic card.

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”