Airfix 1/400 HMS Montgomery

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
Justin1980
Active Participant

Airfix 1/400 HMS Montgomery

Post by Justin1980 »

Well here is my first addition to the forum. I hope you like it guys/gals.

HMS Monty not built with any historical accuracy, but was my second attempt at photoetch. I am really happy with the way it turned out and have learnt more from this model than any of the previous builds. I also happen to have the St Albans in the stash but need some serious amount of patience before I commence that one! The instructions are hideous!

The plan that I have is to build the St Albans in a diorama on a depth charge run against U-401. Its a bit of a project thats still in the planning stage. Has anyone built anything similar? If so any good tips?

Justin
If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Airfix 1/400 HMS Montgomery

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Hmmmm, I'll have to look for that kit ... Which photo-etch set did you use ?
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I thought you were a newbie. How many kits have you built? That looks great, the weathering is very effective and it looks like a hard working ship.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Justin1980
Active Participant

Post by Justin1980 »

Hi James,

I am a newbie I think?

This is my forth ship and second with photoetch. I spent a lot of time on the model and online looking for hints, tips and advice making sure I got things as I wanted, overall I think it may have taken 5/6 months to complete between work and family etc. Compared with my first three builds of the airfix ark royal, hood and a tamiya e-class destroyer(my first attempt at photoetch which was well, a learning experience :lol:) this one turned out spectacularly!

When I get back to Plymouth on Fri I will upload some pics of the first three builds for a laugh!

John I used the Gold Medal Models etch set for the USS Ward. But beware the instructions are horrendous! But the sprues have many extra parts.

Justin
If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Desert_fox
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Desert_fox »

looks ace! How do you go about getting the camouflage pattern? It must be impossible to mask off entire sections of the ship with all the different levels of superstructure. You've managed to get perfect lines though. Please explain!
Will write history dissertations for modelling supplies...
Justin1980
Active Participant

Post by Justin1980 »

Desert_fox wrote:looks ace! How do you go about getting the camouflage pattern? It must be impossible to mask off entire sections of the ship with all the different levels of superstructure. You've managed to get perfect lines though. Please explain!
Thanks for the comment.

I start with the main hull and paint the base grey, I then cut the approximate shape blanks out with electrical tape so I can paint the camouflage by side and by colour. After it dries I can touch up any mishaps. As for the superstructure I mostly free handed it as it was only the sides and again lots of time was spent correcting mishaps.

Justin
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Desert_fox wrote:looks ace! How do you go about getting the camouflage pattern? It must be impossible to mask off entire sections of the ship with all the different levels of superstructure. You've managed to get perfect lines though. Please explain!
Try this one DF

;-) :mrgreen:
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Justin1980 wrote:John I used the Gold Medal Models etch set for the USS Ward. But beware the instructions are horrendous! But the sprues have many extra parts.

Justin
I used some of the GMM 'Ward' PE when I did the Mirage Cambeltown, here http://www.uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=550;

Did you mean the kit instructions or the GMM instructions ? GMM takes a bit to get used to but that's because they cram so much in.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Desert_fox
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Desert_fox »

Dirkpitt289 wrote:
Try this one DF

;-) :mrgreen:
:-| :shock:

Is that the Olympic in WW1 pattern? It does look mighty complex :lol:
Will write history dissertations for modelling supplies...
Justin1980
Active Participant

Post by Justin1980 »

jRatz wrote:
Justin1980 wrote:John I used the Gold Medal Models etch set for the USS Ward. But beware the instructions are horrendous! But the sprues have many extra parts.

Justin
I used some of the GMM 'Ward' PE when I did the Mirage Cambeltown, here http://www.uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=550;

Did you mean the kit instructions or the GMM instructions ? GMM takes a bit to get used to but that's because they cram so much in.
Should really have been clearer on that point! The GMM instructions were fine, but the quality of the reboxed airfix instructions of the Monty and St Albans are horrendeous! And with a lack of marking points on the deck for alot of the extras such as depth charges etc means no two models will be the same, so that could be taken as good or bad I suppose!

I had enough patience to complete the montgomery cam scheme, but there is no way I would have the patience or the inclination to attempt that amount of cam scheme co-ordination!!!! Thats impressive dirk, you have extreme patience ! :grin:

Justin

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”