Viking Ship, Revell , 1:50

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
IvanV22
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Viking Ship, Revell , 1:50

Post by IvanV22 »

Old_Tonto wrote:
ShaunW wrote:That looks excellent Ivan. Can you imagine crossing the North Sea in one of those though - especially in winter?!
Imagine that cold breeze up yer Dogger Bank! :???:

Great looking model and I have to agree it looks much more realistic with the wooden shields. I wonder if anyone makes a suitable set of figures?
As a child in the USA I built an Aurora kit Viking ship which had a compete crew, I don`t know the kit number, but I still have the instruction sheet!!!! The sheet is marked with copyright 1956, 2 years before I was born! I built the kit in the 1960,s one of my first kits. I remember it had a red and white vinyl sail. The instruction sheet also has adds for Aurora speed enamels and tube cement for 10 cents….Its a big sheet about430 X 555 mm and the back side had adds for 24 other kits, I remember looking at the back side dreaming of all those Aurora kits… If anyone is really interested I probably could scan it.
About Vikings, I just ordered an Zvezda 1/72 Viking figure set, but they would be to small for this ship.
Best from Ivan
IvanV22
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Viking Ship, Revell , 1:50

Post by IvanV22 »

general rocket wrote:Nice model.
On the subject of the shields, they where painted to hide the grain of the wood, as in battle, a blow from an axe along the grain would split the wood it was made from and render the shield useless.
However I also like the look of the unpainted shields.
Thanks for the info, it makes sense! But I am not entirely sure it’s true, but this happened so long ago, it’s impossible to be sure.
I just painted the shields wood because the instructions gave me choice of wood or the decals, which I felt looked too much cartoonish. I must make time for more research on the web, I have done it now… a little too late, maybe… One problem with the Viking age is that most of the stories are written my Moncks about 100 years after it happened, so there is mush uncertainty. But Viking graves show that many (most) shield where covered with raw hide and was sometimes painted. Rawhide when it is dries is a very hard armor! Also some times the shield had a metal ring. I also found a posting on YouTube that showed that if you were unlucky enough to splinter a shield you would be dead afterwards because your ax would be stuck in the shield and without a weapon you would be killed afterwards.
Best from Ivan

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”