Viking Ship, Revell , 1:50

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
IvanV22
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Viking Ship, Revell , 1:50

Post by IvanV22 »

I finished this kit a few weeks ago but haven`t got around to posting it before now.

It was a nice kit to build, I did not use the decals for the sail and shields because they seemed unnatural. I just tried to keep it naturally wood. The photos don`t show it but eatch shield is painted in a different “wood” shade. I also chose to not use the ores, it seemed silly to use ores when there where no Vikings to man them! I remember building an Aurora Viking ship as a kid, and that kit had a full crew!!!

Hope you liked it!
Best from Ivan
MarkyM607

Re: Viking Ship, Revell , 1:50

Post by MarkyM607 »

I was thinking reading the text, that I would have painted the shields in the colours on the box but then I saw the photos and the 'wood' theme looks really smart, that's a lovely side view. Good stuff. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Excellent! As said the shields look great in their wooden natural state
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That looks excellent Ivan. Can you imagine crossing the North Sea in one of those though - especially in winter?!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Well done 8-)
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

A fine result - like the effects on the sail.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
John Leah
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by John Leah »

Hi

That's a nice looking longboat - I've almost finished Emhar's Gokstad longboat and will upload here in a week or two time. I like the wooden natural effect you have chosen - it took me days to paint the shields on my build and I did rather wonder if it was worth it.

I have tried to get one of these Revell kits at the last 2 shoes I've attended to no avail - thanks for posting the WITB picture as I remain keen to have a crack at this kit one day

John
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Brilliant work, I love the natural wood effect you have managed and agree with you about not using the oars or decals.

It's hard to believe in this day and age of historic accuracy, that Revell would expect modellers to put images of Vikings with horns on their helmets on the sails.

Thanks for sharing your build as I was unaware this kit existed but will now keep an eye out for it.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
IvanV22

Post by IvanV22 »

ShaunW wrote:That looks excellent Ivan. Can you imagine crossing the North Sea in one of those though - especially in winter?!
In an open boat with no keel riding on top of 10 m high waves and no GPS….and then dragging the boat in a river, deep into Russia and into the far east.. No I can`t see myself doing it!
Best from Ivan
IvanV22

Post by IvanV22 »

Thank you all for your kind comments!

John
Looking forward to seeing your Emhar's Gokstad longboat! And about the shields: I`m not sure how they painted there shields, I would think that if they painted them that they would paint them in a similar pattern so it would be easier to tell friends from floes. The decals looked too much like a comic book Viking ship, therefore the wooden shields.
Best from Ivan
IvanV22

Post by IvanV22 »

splash wrote:Brilliant work, I love the natural wood effect you have managed and agree with you about not using the oars or decals.

It's hard to believe in this day and age of historic accuracy, that Revell would expect modellers to put images of Vikings with horns on their helmets on the sails.

Thanks for sharing your build as I was unaware this kit existed but will now keep an eye out for it.

Regards Splash
Spash I totally agree with you!
Some while ago I built a card paper Viking ship, I have not posted it, (just in my workshop pages), I wasn`t satisfied with it, but I am thinking about making it into a cartoon Viking ship, Vikings with horns drinking beer etc etc..
I haven’t been posting much dies days, but I am modeling, I am working on a wooden ship, Brig, L – 30 cm, are wooden ships allowed or is it too much off topic?
Best from Ivan
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

We have had all types of builds on here including Plastic/card/resin & Wood, if in doubt just leave a message for one of the administrators they will get back to quickly.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

ShaunW wrote:That looks excellent Ivan. Can you imagine crossing the North Sea in one of those though - especially in winter?!
Imagine that cold breeze up yer Dogger Bank! :???:

Great looking model and I have to agree it looks much more realistic with the wooden shields. I wonder if anyone makes a suitable set of figures?
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

splash wrote:We have had all types of builds on here including Plastic/card/resin & Wood, if in doubt just leave a message for one of the administrators they will get back to quickly.

Save the message - while predominantly styrene plastic, we are in fact a multi-media forum, so build and display !!!
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

Nice model.
On the subject of the shields, they where painted to hide the grain of the wood, as in battle, a blow from an axe along the grain would split the wood it was made from and render the shield useless.
However I also like the look of the unpainted shields.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”