Coastal Craft Kits

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
hampden64
Getting well comfy!

Coastal Craft Kits

Post by hampden64 »

Has anyone built any of their kits?They have very interesting stuff, but also expensive.Would like an experience before i take the plunge.Really interested in the Fairmile D MTB IN 1/72 scale.

Thanks,
John
chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Coastal Craft Kits

Post by chrism »

You can down load (or could a while back) the instruction manuals for some of their kits. get one of them to look at and see if you are comfortable with it, as all their kits follow similar format. Their stuff is not cheap at all however I have had some parts to improve a Vosper MTB with, - namely a bandstand, gun, and the torpedo tubes and mounts, stanchion railings, boarding ladders and other accessories which are all in etch metal to bend and fold and occasionally glue to shape. The torpedo tubes were resin and all other bits for the fittings on those etch metal. They were nice to work with, and their instructions were very well written. The bandstand was also easy to build up following their well written notes.

I have also seen the contents of one full kit, and there is a lot of resin and a lot of etch. The key aspect you need to identify and answer - is How comfortable are you with working in etch, and in getting parts off resin casting blocks and tidied up? (you don't need to reply to me on that) but just ask and answer yourself...

Drop the company an email. It may take them a while to reply, but they are helpful.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Interesting kits, bookmarked.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Their kits look quite impressive but a tad expensive, if they did a Fairmile A or B I might be tempted

http://www.coastalcraftmodelsuk.com/
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

Very nice, but I won't be paying that sort of money for them.
So many models, so little time.
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Before answering to this I have to admit I do know Martin who produces these kits but this does not influence my comments.
I have seen the contents of a couple of these kit and though not my area of interest they do look superbly done. They also produce a couple of books on the subject. Dropping him a message should get you any information you need though, also he isn't adverse to anyone suggesting a subject.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Rogp51
starter kit

Post by Rogp51 »

splash wrote:Their kits look quite impressive but a tad expensive, if they did a Fairmile A or B I might be tempted

http://www.coastalcraftmodelsuk.com/
Hello 'splash',

I can do Fairmiles A, B, C and D (among other coastal forces craft, only Allied though) in 1/144th scale if you're interested.
Cheers,
Roger.

"Roger's Little Ships".
Modelling Allied Light Coastal Forces 1914-1945.
Ph: 61 3 5447 8693.

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”