3 Airfix 1/600 DD's -- DNF from the RN Ship GB

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

3 Airfix 1/600 DD's -- DNF from the RN Ship GB

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I had 3 separate GB's in the RN ship GB, but they are unfinished so I will move them up here for completion. I will save some time and space by combining all 3 into this one thread.

To recap, these are actually being done for the CBK SIG display at SMW. All are Airfix 1/600 ship kits, or conversions thereof.

The original threads are as follows and contain much of the background information:

HMS Campbeltown (I42) in the Atlantic: http://www.uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=351&t=13903;

HMS Hotspur (H01) at Crete: http://www.uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=351&t=13901;

HMS Black Swan (U57) in the Atlantic: http://www.uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=351&t=13902;
- this is a major conversion of Hotspur to a Black Swan sloop based on an article in Airfix magazine.

So, here we are with all 3 as shown:

From the top ...

Campbeltown is more/less ready for me to paint the anti-fouling on the lower hull and check to see that I have the major decks pieces on/ready then start the hull, superstructure, and deck painting.

Hotspur has all the major deck furniture -- you can see the 3in AA mount in place of the aft torpedo tubes. It is ready for anti-fouling paint, then hull, deck, and superstructure.

Black Swan has the hull and deck built. I think she had reinforcing along the hull side and added it but I'm concerned it is too thick. I took it down once, but may go back for another pass. Then it's on to the deck furniture, painting, etc.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: 3 Airfix 1/600 DD's -- DNF from the RN Ship GB

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Here we all are with red bottoms ...

Going to give them a couple days to really dry, then mask the bottoms and paint hulls ... I need to work on Black Swan deck houses and such also ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
PTB11
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by PTB11 »

I really like these old 1/600 ships. Looking good so far.
Following along with this one.
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II
gnomemeansgnome
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Agreed, the 600 scale ships make for a great series of models. I have a few knocking about as well. Looking forward to more build progress, John. They look great so far.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”