Card U-505

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Card U-505

Post by splash »

I saw this on eBay and thought for less than £8 a V-Class Destroyer and submarine was good value and as card models go quite a simple design.

As you can see from the images both ships only come on two printed sheets of card and the U-505 only takes up 1/2 of one sheet, unfortunately all the instructions are in Polish with a couple of drawings but as all the parts are numbered and have location markings to show where they fit construction should be responsible simple.

I'm using this build to test a new toy that I bought, a Brother ScanNcut scanner/cutter, basically you attach the printed sheet to a cutting mat, this is passed through the scanner it then recognises the edges and using a blade the machine automatically cuts out all the pieces. This whole process took less than five minutes. (Note because I'm testing the ScanNcut I used colour photocopies on card for this build, if it works I will use the originals to carry out another build)

Having had the normal slow cutting process removed from the build it only took me about an hour to assemble the hull and main part of the conning tower.

So far the build has worked out well.

My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Card U-505

Post by iggie »

Excellent!

Inspired by your purchase, but having delayed acting on the ink you had provided for the 300 model, we have invested in the 600 model which we found on offer at £255. I have yet to have time for a play with it, but Mrs iggie reports favourably on it cutting stencils for her furniture up-cycling business.
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

iggie wrote:Excellent!

Inspired by your purchase, but having delayed acting on the ink you had provided for the 300 model, we have invested in the 600 model which we found on offer at £255. I have yet to have time for a play with it, but Mrs iggie reports favourably on it cutting stencils for her furniture up-cycling business.
So far I have used the ScanNcut to cut thin plastic parts for my HMS Warspite conversion and to make masks to make the flight deck white circles on the 1/:500 scale HMS Plymouth, plus cutting out the bigger parts of this build. The SWMBO has also given it a hammering making cards.

It's not often we can find high tech tools that SWMBO approves off :-D
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

splash wrote: It's not often we can find high tech tools that SWMBO approves off :-D
When I (innocently) asked SWMBO what she knew of it, her eyes lit up - she is a quilter and could maybe, probably, possibly find a use for it .... with the hook in, I set it by casually mentioning card models .... I think we might have solved our joint Christmas present for 2016.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
iggie

Post by iggie »

jRatz wrote:
splash wrote: It's not often we can find high tech tools that SWMBO approves off :-D
When I (innocently) asked SWMBO what she knew of it, her eyes lit up - she is a quilter and could maybe, probably, possibly find a use for it .... with the hook in, I set it by casually mentioning card models .... I think we might have solved our joint Christmas present for 2016.
You smooth operator you! :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

jRatz wrote:
Brother make a deep cut blade and a pen drawing accessory designed for quilters, you can scan the cloth and move the cut template on screen over the pattern you want in the centre plus if you use the pen attachment it will draw the pattern with seam allowance before you cut the cloth.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

This is an enjoyable build I find working in card quite relaxing and it improves you scratch building skills by using a easy medium to work with

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That is certainly an interesting bit of kit Splash and its versatility resulting in SWMBO's enthusiasm is something of a bonus - pricey new airbrush compressors for example don't generally meet with the same approval, in my experience anyway :ha: U-505 looks very promising.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

It does look like a really useful tool. Now, how do I spin this with Mrs Dazzled? :roll:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
chrism

Post by chrism »

Dazzled wrote:It does look like a really useful tool. Now, how do I spin this with Mrs Dazzled? :roll:
What are her hobbies then we can try and adapt and make it fit one of them ...

Does MrsD do any sewing or card or what stuff.
She may need encouraging ... But it would be worthwhile for u long term
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

chrism wrote:
Dazzled wrote:It does look like a really useful tool. Now, how do I spin this with Mrs Dazzled? :roll:
What are her hobbies then we can try and adapt and make it fit one of them ...

Does MrsD do any sewing or card or what stuff.
She may need encouraging ... But it would be worthwhile for u long term
She had a brief flirtation with all things sewing machiney but now its just work, shopping and the occasional day playing bingo.

Not much to work with.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

It sounds like Mrs D needs a hobby to relax :-D

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”