1/600 airfix falklands warships

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
planecrazyman61
Modelling Gent and Scholar

1/600 airfix falklands warships

Post by planecrazyman61 »

hi here are the 3 warships in the set built and primed about to be painted but during the build process i lost the instructions and i am not sure in what colours/patterns they should be painted,i have looked on the ATF Forum and have not found suitable information so if anyone has the falklands set painting instuctions could they put up some images of the sheets or PM me if they wish to send them directly
thanks craig
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Re: 1/600 airfix failands warships

Post by splash »

All three are looking excellent.

If you are building them all as Falklands ships, remember, all the Leander class ships had been modified so none of them had their twin 4.5 inch guns fitted.

I found Tamiya grey primer makes an excellent match for the RN Ships Grey. Having served on several Leanders I recall the deck colours varied some had green upper decks and others had dark grey and I think this changed depending what weapon fit they had so to get it right I think you first have to work out what ship you are building then research it to find out the weapon fit, deck colour and the area aft of the flight deck as some had VDS and others didn't.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
planecrazyman61

hi Al thanks for the info ,but with these ships i was just aiming to complete them OOB as i have a limited amount of time to complete for a falklands display at our club and the launch tubes that came in my set to replace the guns are unusable
cheers craig
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Hi Craig

If you build HMS Andromeda, she had Seawolf and Exorset at the front and a flightdeck that extended all the way back to the stern with a small square cut out on the port side of the stern.

The extended flightdeck was to allow for the bigger Lynx helicopter. She also had a square topped funnel and thinner masts.

HMS Andromeda Upper deck was dark grey.

Unfortunately Airfix did a quick fix when it made the conversions they called the Falklands set and I don't think any of the kits are accurate OOB :shock:

As for the Country Class DLG if I recall correctly they had part of their decks built it the good old traditional wood :shock:
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I've got them Craig. I'll put up some images shortly :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Hope these are helpful mate. I'll e-mail them to you as well so you'll have a better resolution scan. :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
planecrazyman61

thanks daryl for posting the paint guide with the added bonus of tamiya equivalents ,would you know the tamiya and gunze alternative to 64 light aircraft gray
cheers craig
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

planecrazyman61 wrote:thanks daryl for posting the paint guide with the added bonus of tamiya equivalents ,would you know the tamiya and gunze alternative to 64 light aircraft gray
cheers craig
I think Tamiya XF-80 is a pretty good shade for Cold War RN grey Craig.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I would think twice before using the Airfix colour guides.

I can't find any reference or recollection to Leanders having brown decks :shock: apart from the red lead undercoat before the green or grey topcoat went on.

A lot of the Leanders ships crew have set up associations and websites, I would pick a ship find the association and ask them what colours their ship was.

Regards Splash
planecrazyman61

thanks for the help daryl and Al ,i have the black bootlines/lower hull colours on so i decided that XF-80 for the 3 ships upper hulls and vertical structures looked ok with the decks/structure tops as follows HMS Minerva XF-25 light sea gray HMS Active H307 or H308 HMS Antrim XF-24 or XF-82 happy to hear your thoughts on these colour choices as i don't profess to know a lot about ships
cheers craig
planecrazyman61

Re: 1/600 airfix falklands warships

hi have started to paint the 3 warships in the box painting scheme but not in the colours listed all 3 had the upper hulls and vertical structures painted in tamiya XF-80 the decks are different

HMS Minerva -deck is tamiya XF-25 LIGHT SEA GRAY tried brush painting it first but that was a bit of a disaster so had to mask around and then use the airbrush,got a bit of over spray on the light gray to sort out

HMS Antrim -deck is modelair neutral grey still need to figure out midship area colour

HMS Active -deck will be XF-82 Ocean grey or gunze H307 Grey

cheers craig
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nice clean work. Looking good.

Nigel
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Excellent work they are looking brilliant.

The County Class DLG's main deck from the forward funnel, forward to the deck around "B" turret and the deck around "A" turret would have been wood so a very light grey or very light brown would be correct.

Try this link it might help http://www.steelnavy.net/images/glamorg ... page13.jpg

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”