Trumpeter 1/700: Zerstorer (Destroyer) Z-37

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
PropWash
Active Participant

Trumpeter 1/700: Zerstorer (Destroyer) Z-37

Post by PropWash »

Note: I originally completed this model in March of 2017, and posted it on a now-defunct web site. This is my first attempt at shipbuilding after my interest was piqued by another member's build. This sparked some new interest in model building for me as I had grown a tad bored by building nothing but aircraft for the last few years. I hope you don't mind my sharing.

The Ship

In the mid-1930s, the German Kriegsmarine (DKM), drew plans for a new Zerstorer (destroyer) class of fast destroyers. They named the class 1936A (eight ships of this design) and 1936A (Mob), which had some improvements made on the original series design (seven ships were made in this designation). These ships would be called the Narvik class by the Allies. The ships were fast and had decent firepower for their size. However, they had issues with their propulsion as well as how they navigated rough seas.

The subject of my build is Z-37 (Zerstorers were only named with Z numbers). Z-37 was one of the later designs (1936A (Mob)) and was commissioned into service in July 1942. Z-37 would have a short career marred by accidents and bad luck. In January, 1944, Z-37 collided with Zerstorer Z-32 in the Bay of Biscay. The collision left her badly damaged after it caused a fire that set-off a torpedo and ammunition. Left powerless and flooded, she was towed back to port in Bordeaux, France. The damage was to extensive to repair so the main guns were removed for use as shore guns, and the crew was reassigned elsewhere. The ship would later be scuttled.

Talk about a bad-luck ship. I didn't know the history of Z-37 when I bought the kit. Had I known I think I would have purchased a different Zerstorer. ;-)

The Kit

This was my first shipbuilding kit and it was from Trumpeter (I had built their fantastic 1/72 Westland Wyvern aircraft kit) for which I had a good feeling for. I was taken aback by the kit box as it was not what I expected to find. Not knowing the relative scales for ship building, I got this 1/700 scale kit thinking it would be the approximate size of the box it came in. Silly me!

This is what I found when I opened the box.

Okay. :shock:

So I took out the parts and layed them out. The kit gives you an option for both a full-hull or waterline build. I opted for a full build. You also get a small set of PE parts and stand, as well as some decals. The instructions were nicely done and I especially liked the color paint guide.

The Build

As I recall the build was mostly uneventful. The only real problems I had were due to my own ham-fisted abilities at handling the small parts and rigging (oh the rigging :roll: ). But I found nothing to complain about due to the kit itself. Overall I would recommend one of the Trumpeter Zerstorer kits (just maybe not of Z-37 ;-) ).

iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Trumpeter 1/700: Zerstorer (Destroyer) Z-37

Post by iggie »

That looks a delightful little build!

I've built a few 1/350 ships (well, five anyway....) and struggle with the small parts at that scale; trying a similar thing at 1/700 is a scary concept!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
celt

Post by celt »

Well tidy mun.
PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

Outstanding work.
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II
PropWash
Active Participant

Post by PropWash »

Thank you very much for your comments, gentlemen. I do appreciate them.

I admit I have to wear those magnifying glasses (to which my wife cannot help laugh at) when working with the 1/700 kits. Those parts are tiny!

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”