Fujimi 1/700: IJN Light Cruiser "Isuzu"

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
PropWash
Active Participant

Fujimi 1/700: IJN Light Cruiser "Isuzu"

Post by PropWash »

Launched in 1921, the Isuzu was one of six Nagara-class cruisers built for the Imperial Japanese Navy. In 1944, the Isuzu would be modified into a dedicated anti-aircraft ship by having her main armament, aircraft, and torpedo tubes (other than the four tubes mounted below deck) removed. The ship would now carry a compliment of 3 dual-mount Type 89 anti-aircraft guns, 11 triple-mount Type 96 anti-aircraft guns, torpedoes and depth charges. The Isuzu was sunk in April, 1945, after being hit by torpedoes fired from the USN submarines Besugo and Charr.

The Kit

The kit is by Fujimi and was released in 1972. The parts were made of good quality gray plastic. However, the molding for many of the parts was sub-par. Lots of flash to remove and several parts were misaligned. The decals were in poor condition (as expected). Instructions were clear as far as the illustrations went, but were entirely in Japanese. This last made painting a problem as online research was now required.

The Build

It really was a 45 year-old kit as far as quality and detail went. Aside from the flash and lack of detail, there wasn't any real surprises to be found. The build was fairly straightforward, aside from searches on the Internet for paint and rigging info. It would have made for a quick weekend build had not so much time been spent cleaning flash from the tiny guns and antenna structures.

Conclusions

I have not built that many ship models and, I believe, this is the oldest kit I've completed. The kit looks its age when compared to more recent kits in this scale. I didn't pay all that much for it (if that's a saving grace) and it does cut an unusual silhouette among the other ship models in my little navy, but I am otherwise underwhelmed. This isn't a kit I would recommend.

iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Fujimi 1/700: IJN Light Cruiser "Isuzu"

Post by iggie »

As you say, it's a product of it's age but you've made a very neat and tidy build out of it and it looks spot on.
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Tarkas
Active Participant

Post by Tarkas »

I agree with iggie. That looks very nice. I almost want to see it dirtied up a bit, along the likes of the box cover image. But that's your choice; I'm not much for weathering, so I'm hardly going to insist someone else be.

Again, good work.
Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox, sometimes...
celt

Post by celt »

Well tidy mun.
PropWash
Active Participant

Post by PropWash »

Tarkas wrote:I agree with iggie. That looks very nice. I almost want to see it dirtied up a bit, along the likes of the box cover image. But that's your choice; I'm not much for weathering, so I'm hardly going to insist someone else be.

Again, good work.
Thank you for commenting, Tarkas. I agree with you about wanting the dirty-it-up (and I really should have, which I might yet do). I've just never done that to a small scale model so was worried I might over-do it or something. Since the model really isn't a fave, per se, I might just give it a shot to see what happens. ;-)
PropWash
Active Participant

Post by PropWash »

Iggie and Celt, thank you both for your comments. They are always appreciated.
bobblelink
Active Participant

Post by bobblelink »

that is a nice model of an unusual looking ship- despite what you say about the kit, you have made it look good.
currently on the go: Revell Blenheim I, Italeri Me210, Revell HMS victory, Revell 1/144 p-47
completions in 2012:8, completions in 2013: 13, Completions in 2014:10, Completions in 2015: 9, Completions in 2016: 8, Completions in 2017: 9, Completions in 2018: 12, completions in 2019:7, completions in 2020: 17
PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

Terrific work. For such a small kit, the detail is amazing.
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II
PropWash
Active Participant

Post by PropWash »

Thank you BobbleLink and PTB, I appreciate your comments.
FAAMAN
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by FAAMAN »

Nicely done ;-)
Yes its an old kit but with a little care and attention to detail this kit (and any other "old" ship model kit) can be made into quite the little show piece 8-)
Have some fun adding some Skywave PitRoad details and go as far as some generic PE and observe the transformation :grin: :grin:
Worries me you think 1/700 is "small scale", no different to 1/600 really, it challenges one's "real" skills against one's "imagined" skills used in scales above 1/400.
Been modelling for years, still learning . . . .
Model kits are meant to be assembled . . . . . . . . . . eventually.
PropWash
Active Participant

Post by PropWash »

FAAMAN wrote:Nicely done ;-)
Yes its an old kit but with a little care and attention to detail this kit (and any other "old" ship model kit) can be made into quite the little show piece 8-)
Have some fun adding some Skywave PitRoad details and go as far as some generic PE and observe the transformation :grin: :grin:
Worries me you think 1/700 is "small scale", no different to 1/600 really, it challenges one's "real" skills against one's "imagined" skills used in scales above 1/400.
Thank you for your comments, FAAMan. I appreciate it. :) I would love to try some PE on the ship models as I get more into them (they are a relatively new direction for me). I have a hard enough time adding them to 1/72 & 1/48 aircraft models so that I am a little intimidated by working with even smaller details. :shock:

I'm a little intrigued by your last sentence. I'm a tad unsure how to respond.
FAAMAN
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by FAAMAN »

My last sentence just means you really must develop your skills for 1/400 and below as the bigger scales are far more forgiving to complete due to their size ;-) The ships you've done are quite nice already 8-) 8-) I'm still developing mine :roll: :roll:

Just keep plugging away, it's like any other modelling, the more you do the better you get!! I look forward to seeing more of your builds :beer:

You need to find builds by Jim Baumann (Check out this link here http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/sh ... eview.html; )
and books like the "Waterline Modelling Manuals Vol1 ,2 etc. They're in Japanese but they'll blow you away too :wow

Anything above 1/400 is out of scale for my collection and my stash. I mostly work in 1/400, 1/600, 1/700 (and 720th) with an interest in 1/1200. Larger models for me start at 1/144 and 1/72nd scaels. I have 1/200 card ship models, but I use them to help scratch 1/600 scale subjects.
Been modelling for years, still learning . . . .
Model kits are meant to be assembled . . . . . . . . . . eventually.
PropWash
Active Participant

Post by PropWash »

I appreciate the vote of confidence, FAAMan. Thanks! :beer:

I appreciate the link to Jim Baumann's build of the Mauritania. Wow. :shock: That is some attention to detail and is what I aspire to do in modeling someday (hopefully when I retire in a year or two ;-) ). I found the link to his gallery on that forum and have bookmarked it as well. And I'll look-out for the "manuals" you cited. :grin:

Right now the 1/700 scale ships are in my comfort zone (owing to cost / availability / size / and detail). Larger scales will mix in either through a great buy or should I feel I could do a decent enough job of it. ;-)

Feel free to chime in and offer any suggestions on my builds. Thanks!

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”