The Unofficial Airfix Modellers' Forum
http://uamf.org.uk/

Swords into plough shares and plough shares into swords.
http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=16766
Page 1 of 1

Author:  general rocket [ February 6th, 2018, 10:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Swords into plough shares and plough shares into swords.

These two ships where started on the Krap kits group build but where both D.N.F. viewtopic.php?f=379&t=16530
The intention was to cross kit them to create other vessels.
Since there is still a fair bit to do to them, I thought that I would complete them both on this thread.

Image

This was a Lindberg Landing Craft Infantry that I thought had a look of a Victorian paddle steamer about it, so having the remains of the Revell Robert E Lee lying around from a preious project, I decided that that is what it would become. I put her to one side while painting the hull, after removing the masking tape and pulling some of the paint with it. The damage would have taken too long to repair in the time left. So here it is waiting to be finished.

Image

This one started out as the Revell Robert E Lee a Mississippi side wheel paddle steamer, but is being transformed into a freelance Victorian River Monitor. I was intending to use as much of the superstructure as possible, but this proved to be impracticle, so it became more of a scratch build. Work on this one was going along nicely but I just ran out of time with her.

Please feel free to join in and comment and criticise.

Author:  FAAMAN [ February 7th, 2018, 12:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Swords into plough shares and plough shares into swords.

It almost looks like a paddle powered whale catcher in the first pic, the monitor will look outstanding with period details and rigging, I'll look forward to this progressing ;-) ;-)

Author:  jRatz [ February 7th, 2018, 1:50 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Swords into plough shares and plough shares into swords.

Happy to see these continue, they are so much more than a "krap kit" build, much like Splash's effort.
Carry on, it might give me some different ideas for my REL kit.

Author:  splash [ February 7th, 2018, 3:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Swords into plough shares and plough shares into swords.

You just have to love the Monitor, it just looks so right, what scale is it going to be?

Regards Splash

Author:  general rocket [ February 7th, 2018, 9:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Swords into plough shares and plough shares into swords.

splash wrote:
You just have to love the Monitor, it just looks so right, what scale is it going to be?

Regards Splash


Thanks for the comments, both are being built to n scale.

Author:  FAAMAN [ February 8th, 2018, 4:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Swords into plough shares and plough shares into swords.

So English (8mm = 1') 1/148 N scale or US/European 1/165 N scale?

Author:  general rocket [ February 8th, 2018, 3:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Swords into plough shares and plough shares into swords.

They will be built British n scale. Though many people run the two scales together as the difference between the two is often not very noticeable, being 1 in 10 which is less than the difference between OO & HO.

Author:  general rocket [ February 12th, 2018, 11:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Swords into plough shares and plough shares into swords.

One of the annoying parts of this hobby, as I'm sure you know, is finding new subjects to model while researching the one you're doing. Recently I was searching for inspiration on the paddle steamer when I found some pictures of variants of the L.C.I. that I fancied building.
Firstly the British variant built by Fairmiles, easy alterations mainly to the superstructure.
Secondly a Fire support Variant. Basically the same, but with lots of guns.
Thirdly, a Roll on Roll off ferry, a post war conversion utilising the version with Bow Clamshell doors.
Forthly an L.C.I. converted into a House Boat.
So one thing I don't need is FAAMAN giving me even more ideas. :evil:

FAAMAN wrote:
It almost looks like a paddle powered whale catcher in the first pic, ;-) ;-)


Besides, Revell do the Flower class corvette in 1/144, which is close enough to n' scale. The Flower class where a conversion of a whaling ship, and a retro conversion would be a simple matter, and is a possible future project.
So there is no way that I will be doing a Whaling ship conversion.

Oh what the hell!

Image

:ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha:

Author:  FAAMAN [ February 13th, 2018, 8:20 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Swords into plough shares and plough shares into swords.

:-D Apologies for my attempted Whiff mind control :-D :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Author:  MarkyM607 [ February 13th, 2018, 3:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Swords into plough shares and plough shares into swords.

general rocket wrote:
One of the annoying parts of this hobby, as I'm sure you know, is finding new subjects to model while researching the one you're doing. Recently I was searching for inspiration on the paddle steamer when I found some pictures of variants of the L.C.I. that I fancied building.
Firstly the British variant built by Fairmiles, easy alterations mainly to the superstructure.
Secondly a Fire support Variant. Basically the same, but with lots of guns.
Thirdly, a Roll on Roll off ferry, a post war conversion utilising the version with Bow Clamshell doors.
Forthly an L.C.I. converted into a House Boat.
So one thing I don't need is FAAMAN giving me even more ideas. :evil:

FAAMAN wrote:
It almost looks like a paddle powered whale catcher in the first pic, ;-) ;-)


Besides, Revell do the Flower class corvette in 1/144, which is close enough to n' scale. The Flower class where a conversion of a whaling ship, and a retro conversion would be a simple matter, and is a possible future project.
So there is no way that I will be doing a Whaling ship conversion.

Oh what the hell!

Image

:ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha:


It's karma for you getting the Leela/Futurama conversion in my head!!! :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha:

Author:  general rocket [ February 13th, 2018, 3:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Swords into plough shares and plough shares into swords.

MarkyM607 wrote:
general rocket wrote:
One of the annoying parts of this hobby, as I'm sure you know, is finding new subjects to model while researching the one you're doing. Recently I was searching for inspiration on the paddle steamer when I found some pictures of variants of the L.C.I. that I fancied building.
Firstly the British variant built by Fairmiles, easy alterations mainly to the superstructure.
Secondly a Fire support Variant. Basically the same, but with lots of guns.
Thirdly, a Roll on Roll off ferry, a post war conversion utilising the version with Bow Clamshell doors.
Forthly an L.C.I. converted into a House Boat.
So one thing I don't need is FAAMAN giving me even more ideas. :evil:

FAAMAN wrote:
It almost looks like a paddle powered whale catcher in the first pic, ;-) ;-)


Besides, Revell do the Flower class corvette in 1/144, which is close enough to n' scale. The Flower class where a conversion of a whaling ship, and a retro conversion would be a simple matter, and is a possible future project.
So there is no way that I will be doing a Whaling ship conversion.

Oh what the hell!

Image

:ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha:


It's karma for you getting the Leela/Futurama conversion in my head!!! :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha:


I new you would enjoy this.

Author:  MarkyM607 [ February 14th, 2018, 8:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Swords into plough shares and plough shares into swords.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/