Airfix Hms Victory A09252 - A50049

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
Old Joe
Series 3 and Beyond

Airfix Hms Victory A09252 - A50049

Post by Old Joe »

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Christmas is coming. In an attempt to avoid more socks and aftershave, I am trying to convince my brother to get me the HMS Victory kit. Can anyone advise as to the quality of the moulding of either of these kits? or is there a better one available?
Saxon
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Airfix Hms Victory A09252 - A50049

Post by Saxon »

I know my uncle built one 20 something years ago, it looks good but not sure how the moulds are now.
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

The only difference in the two boxings is that A50049 is the Gift Set and comes with some paints ;-)
No real issues with my build 8-)
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
Old Joe
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Old Joe »

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Ratch wrote:The only difference in the two boxings is that A50049 is the Gift Set and comes with some paints ;-)

No real issues with my build 8-)
Interesting presentation, you've obviously done quite a bit of work to represent Victory after an engagement ? I note the fore- and main- masts are shortened, the mizzen is missing, etc ... Can you describe this a bit ?
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

From the records I read, this is how she was after Trafalgar, with a Jury rig en route to Gibraltar.

21st October 1805, the Battle of Trafalgar, Victory lost her mizzen topmast and all her studdingsails and their booms. There was lots of damage to her starboard side following a close pounding from the French 74 Redoubtable. On November 4th Victory left Gibraltar under jury rig. There is no official damage report for Victory, but a statement written by midshipman R. F. Roberts states:
“The hull is much damaged by shot in a number of different places, particularly in the wales, strings and spirketting, and some between wind and water, several beams, knees and riders, shot through and broke; the starboard cathead shot away; the rails and timbers of the head and stern cut by shot; several of the ports damaged and port timbers cut off; the channels and chain-plate damaged by shot and the falling of the mizzen mast; the principal part of the bulkheads, half-ports and portsashes thrown overboard in clearing ship for action. The mizzen mast shot away about nine feet above the deck; the mainmast shot through and sprung; the main yard gone; main top mast and cap shot in different places and reefed; the main topsail yard shot away; the foremast shot through in a number of places and is at present supported by a top mast, and a part of the topsail and crossjack yards; the fore yard shot away, the bowsprit jibboom and cap shot, and the sprit sail and spirtsail topsail yards, and flying jibboom gone… The ship makes in bad weather 12 inches an hour.”
Roberts’s account indicates that not a single mast or spar remained undamaged after battle and that much was cannibalised to form the weak jury-rig. Most of the timbers were just below, or barely above the waterline, indicating the battering taken by Victory.
Airfix Tribute Forum
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Thank you, I really ought to have known it was after Trafalgar but I was too busy to hit the ref books. You have captured it quite well !!!
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Thanks John :grin:
Airfix Tribute Forum

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”