Airfix Titanic 1/400

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
andy519005
starter kit

Airfix Titanic 1/400

Post by andy519005 »

Hi

Just been reading about the forthcoming release in Airfix newsletter of Titanic in 1/400
The text states 'new to Airfix'
Does this mean its been available under another brand name? Does anyone know this kits history?
Also isnt the scale a little rare / unusual?

Thx
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Airfix Titanic 1/400

Post by JamesPerrin »

I've read elsewhere that this is the Academy kit.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
peebeep

Post by peebeep »

This Airfix release is from the Academy tooling. The 'oddness' of 1/400 depends whether or not you are familiar with the range of Heller ships in this scale, a number of which have been re-boxed by Airfix quite recently.

peebeep
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

This could be a good reason for me to start thinking about building the Britannic. I've been thinking about that build for some time now.
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

It is the Academy kit re-released by Airfix and a very good choice for a rebox it is too. Here's mine:

I built this a few years ago. It's a terrific kit and very absorbing to build. There are no major headaches, although I did take some liberties with the construction sequence and the application of the rigging. I did have one issue with getting the hull to close properly around the superstructure, but the application of a couple of big carpenters clamps soon put that right.

Paint mostly came from spray cans, except for the deck colours and the funnels. One thing to note about this kit is that it is quite big and well detailed so there are a lot of parts and lots and lots (and lots) of small sub-assemblies to keep herded in and stop wandering away. A partitioned plastic box is definately the order of the day when building this kit.

It took me nearly 6 months to complete mine but, honestly, it was a fun and straightforward build so I didn't get bored with it at all. And, at the end, the result is very impressive, just make sure it fits in your cabinet or you'll have to build one like I did.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”