"Modern" Royal Navy

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
Viking
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

"Modern" Royal Navy

Post by Viking »

As many of you know, i have a deep interest in ships and ship models. Having said that, i have build relatively few ship models in recent years, mainly due to a lack of confidence in handling photo-etch; i have a deep personal view that most out of the box, and all classic, kits of ships look very toy like and really require etch railing and etch radar to look, in my eyes, realistic. HMS Fearless that was bulit for Telford was only the 2nd full etched modern warship i had built (the first was the Dragon kit of HMS Edinburgh, the pictures of which are somewhere on the site. Anyway, beeing pleased with Fearless during the building process, i had started a few other kits: The Airfix HMS Leader, The Dragon HMS Daring and the White Ensign HMS Montrose:

Leander was from the Falklands set, which of course is a bit of a misnomer since the Leader kit is pre modernisation (although you do get some pretty generic Exocets to stick on). The options are Leander, Minerva, Penelope and Sirius of which only Minerva and Penelope served in the Falklands in 1982. I did set out to do Leander but messed up the flight deck decal therefore i now have Sirius (F40) in her original early 1970's fit with the HFDF aerials. Lots more still to do but i'm pleased with the way she is coming together (etch is of course from white ensign).

Next up is the brand new Dragon HMS Daring which i am building as HMS Diamond. Its a fabulous kit and i cannt recommend it highly enough, just needs a touch of filler to blend in the superstructure to the hull as the real one does not have panel lines. all the etch comes with the kit. Plenty of detail still to add although these ships are very very clean compared to the cluttered older ones.

the old and the new; Sirius was commissioned in 1966, Diamond in 2011:

White Ensign's HMS Montrose, a resin kit which is taking me a bit longer, you basically get a resin hull and superstructure, a bag of resin details, some etch and are left to get on with it :)

and all 4 together, the 3rd one being Edinburgh:

now, once these are finished, i have Devonshire, Amazon and Victorius of the airfix ships to build, Ark Royal and Invincible from Revell, Dragons Birmingham or Glasgow and White Ensign's Battleaxe and that should cover most of the modern royal navy !
Completed: not counting. Bought: trying not to let Mrs Viking count
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: "Modern" Royal Navy

Post by JamesPerrin »

Seeing them altogether is nice and allows comparison. There is a lot more ship in the new Sirus even though it's not much longer.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

Nice builds James. I fully agree with you about the need for detailing on ship models. Without it they look ready to play with in the bath. ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

Lovely work they are turnign out nice. That Leander reminds me of "Warship", the tv series in the early 80's used to enjoy that.

Cheers
Jim
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Nice work and you are right, modern ships in particular look dull most times, even with details, I am thinking that so much grey just doesn't bring anything to life.
bernard5802
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by bernard5802 »

Excellent work :grin:

Regards, Bernard

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”