1/350 Titanic

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
dollar19
Modelling Gent and Scholar

1/350 Titanic

Post by dollar19 »

Well, I just pulled this out of the stash and got a small start on it. Seems fitting to build this now on the centennial of her sinking.
Brickie
Can't be Jiggered with Faffing About

Re: 1/350 Titanic

Post by Brickie »

The actual date of the sinking is in April, isn't it? Reckon you'll have it finished by then?
"If you can fly a Sopwith Camel, you can fly anything!"

A 7 | 12 B
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

"The Other Side of Night: The Carpathia, the Californian, and the Night the Titanic Was Lost" by Daniel Allen Butler is an excellent book about the sinking.

From the back cover:
"A few minutes before midnight on April 14, 1912, the "unsinkable" RMS Titanic, on her maiden voyage to New York, struck an iceberg. Less than three hours later she lay at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. While the world has remained fascinated by the tragedy, the most amazing drama of those fateful hours was not played out aboard the doomed liner. It took place on the decks of two other ships, one fifty-eight miles distant from the sinking Titanic, the other barely ten miles away. The masters of the steamships Carpathia and Californian, Captain Arthur Rostron and Captain Stanley Lord, were informed within minutes of each other that their vessels had picked up the distress signals of a sinking ship. Their actions in the hours and days that followed would become the stuff of legend, as one would choose to take his ship into dangerous waters to answer the call for help, while the other would decide that the hazard to himself and his command was too great to risk responding.

After years of research, Daniel Allen Butler now tells this incredible story, moving from ship to ship on the icy waters of the North Atlantic-in real-time-to recount how hundreds of people could have been rescued, but in the end only a few outside of the meager lifeboats were saved. He then looks alike at the U.S. Senate Investigation in Washington, and ultimately the British Board of Trade Inquiry in London, where the actions of each captain are probed, questioned, and judged, until the truth of what actually happened aboard the Titanic, the Carpathia and the Californian is revealed."
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
dollar19

Post by dollar19 »

Brickie wrote:The actual date of the sinking is in April, isn't it? Reckon you'll have it finished by then?
Not by a long shot!!

It's taken me 2 weeks of studying The Rivet Counter at the TRMA just to get a handle on all the modifications the kit needs. Some I will do....some I'll pass on.

J, funny thing.....I grew up in Havelock, not too far from you! I'll have to track down that book, looks like good reading.
ian lanc
Active Participant

Post by ian lanc »

I built that ship several years ago then dropped it and never got to repairing it so i threw it away.

http://gregers.7.forumer.com/viewtopic. ... c&start=30;
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Any progress to report? have been toying with buying this or the Airfix 1/400 one.
BEEN A WHILE
bootneck42
starter kit

Post by bootneck42 »

bromo wrote:Any progress to report? have been toying with buying this or the Airfix 1/400 one.
Hi Bromo,

the Revell 1/350 kit is classed as the best one but it is long out of production and they can be expensive to find.

I have one, which I (obviously) won't get around to building in time. Whereabouts in the world do you live?

cheers

Mike
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

bootneck42 wrote:
bromo wrote:Any progress to report? have been toying with buying this or the Airfix 1/400 one.
Hi Bromo,

the Revell 1/350 kit is classed as the best one but it is long out of production and they can be expensive to find.

I have one, which I (obviously) won't get around to building in time. Whereabouts in the world do you live?

cheers

Mike
Mike I live in England, is the Revell the same as the Minicraft? i have done some checking on the nett and it seems there is the Academy 1/400 or the Minicraft 1/350? or am i missing something?The Airfix Titanic is a rebox of the Academy and i know Revell are offering a special edition 1/400 as well?????? as fathers day is coming i was wondering if i could snag the Academy 1/400 Aniversary edition with the wood deck and photo etch :-D seeing as how much my kids love me so much :ha: hint hint!
Cheers Martin
BEEN A WHILE
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

jRatz wrote:"The Other Side of Night: The Carpathia, the Californian, and the Night the Titanic Was Lost" by Daniel Allen Butler is an excellent book about the sinking.

From the back cover:
"A few minutes before midnight on April 14, 1912, the "unsinkable" RMS Titanic, on her maiden voyage to New York, struck an iceberg. Less than three hours later she lay at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. While the world has remained fascinated by the tragedy, the most amazing drama of those fateful hours was not played out aboard the doomed liner. It took place on the decks of two other ships, one fifty-eight miles distant from the sinking Titanic, the other barely ten miles away. The masters of the steamships Carpathia and Californian, Captain Arthur Rostron and Captain Stanley Lord, were informed within minutes of each other that their vessels had picked up the distress signals of a sinking ship. Their actions in the hours and days that followed would become the stuff of legend, as one would choose to take his ship into dangerous waters to answer the call for help, while the other would decide that the hazard to himself and his command was too great to risk responding.

After years of research, Daniel Allen Butler now tells this incredible story, moving from ship to ship on the icy waters of the North Atlantic-in real-time-to recount how hundreds of people could have been rescued, but in the end only a few outside of the meager lifeboats were saved. He then looks alike at the U.S. Senate Investigation in Washington, and ultimately the British Board of Trade Inquiry in London, where the actions of each captain are probed, questioned, and judged, until the truth of what actually happened aboard the Titanic, the Carpathia and the Californian is revealed."
When was that book published first John? the book i have read Titanic destination disaster quotes that Captain Lord was never informed of the distress signal and a battle has gone on for years to clear his name.
BEEN A WHILE
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

bromo wrote:
When was that book published first John? the book i have read Titanic destination disaster quotes that Captain Lord was never informed of the distress signal and a battle has gone on for years to clear his name.
2009. I'm not an expert and have no dog in the preserve/rewrite history fight, but the book seemed to me well written and logical, with well thought out discussions, not rants. No doubt there are volumes on each side to be compared.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

There is talk of false horizons now. This phenomenon would have made the iceberg almost invisible. Log entries from dozens of ships in the area and many more over the years have been checked and there is a lot of proof for this line of reasoning. It would also have made the Titanic look smaller. The effect tends to bend light. Many mistakes were made though, especially the shortage of lifeboats. The disaster did lead to much greater safety at sea since.
So many models, so little time.
bootneck42
starter kit

Post by bootneck42 »

bromo wrote:
bootneck42 wrote:
Hi Bromo,

cheers

Mike
Mike I live in England, is the Revell the same as the Minicraft? i have done some checking on the nett and it seems there is the Academy 1/400 or the Minicraft 1/350? or am i missing something?The Airfix Titanic is a rebox of the Academy and i know Revell are offering a special edition 1/400 as well?????? as fathers day is coming i was wondering if i could snag the Academy 1/400 Aniversary edition with the wood deck and photo etch :-D seeing as how much my kids love me so much :ha: hint hint!
Cheers Martin
Hi Martin,

I don't know if the Revell kit is the same as the Minicraft however, with the regular interchanging of moulds between companies, I wouldn't be surprised.

I've heard, but not seen, that the Academy 1:400 kit is a decent kit, especially if you are going to have a go with the wooden decks and PE etc.

Best get working on those kids of yours!

cheers

Mike
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

They are being worked on as we speak :-D very unsubtle hints are being dropped at every chance i get :lol:
BEEN A WHILE
dollar19

Post by dollar19 »

Sorry to take so long to reply......Life got in the way. I've made some small progress.

ImageImageImage

There will be more to come...

Thanks for looking
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Looking very good, some very nice sharp colour demarcations on the hull. Are you using all the photo etch??
BEEN A WHILE

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”