It is currently September 20th, 2017, 7:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
1/350 Titanic
Author Message
 Post subject: 1/350 Titanic
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2012, 12:54 pm 
Offline
Active Participant

Joined: May 1st, 2011, 1:11 am
Posts: 651
Location: Bristol, Va. USA
Well, I just pulled this out of the stash and got a small start on it. Seems fitting to build this now on the centennial of her sinking.
Image
Image
Image


Top
 Profile   
 
1/350 Titanic
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 1/350 Titanic
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2012, 1:51 pm 
Offline
Can't be Jiggered with Faffing About
User avatar

Joined: October 31st, 2011, 10:04 am
Posts: 1762
Location: York
The actual date of the sinking is in April, isn't it? Reckon you'll have it finished by then?

_________________
"If you can fly a Sopwith Camel, you can fly anything!"

A 7 | 12 B


Top
 Profile   
 
1/350 Titanic
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 1/350 Titanic
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2012, 4:28 pm 
Offline
Why is he so confused ?
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2011, 3:42 pm
Posts: 9831
Location: Living on a sandbar - Nags Head, NC.
"The Other Side of Night: The Carpathia, the Californian, and the Night the Titanic Was Lost" by Daniel Allen Butler is an excellent book about the sinking.

From the back cover:
"A few minutes before midnight on April 14, 1912, the "unsinkable" RMS Titanic, on her maiden voyage to New York, struck an iceberg. Less than three hours later she lay at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. While the world has remained fascinated by the tragedy, the most amazing drama of those fateful hours was not played out aboard the doomed liner. It took place on the decks of two other ships, one fifty-eight miles distant from the sinking Titanic, the other barely ten miles away. The masters of the steamships Carpathia and Californian, Captain Arthur Rostron and Captain Stanley Lord, were informed within minutes of each other that their vessels had picked up the distress signals of a sinking ship. Their actions in the hours and days that followed would become the stuff of legend, as one would choose to take his ship into dangerous waters to answer the call for help, while the other would decide that the hazard to himself and his command was too great to risk responding.

After years of research, Daniel Allen Butler now tells this incredible story, moving from ship to ship on the icy waters of the North Atlantic-in real-time-to recount how hundreds of people could have been rescued, but in the end only a few outside of the meager lifeboats were saved. He then looks alike at the U.S. Senate Investigation in Washington, and ultimately the British Board of Trade Inquiry in London, where the actions of each captain are probed, questioned, and judged, until the truth of what actually happened aboard the Titanic, the Carpathia and the Californian is revealed."

_________________
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
All problems are soluble in stout.


Top
 Profile   
 
1/350 Titanic
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 1/350 Titanic
PostPosted: January 17th, 2012, 7:35 pm 
Offline
Active Participant

Joined: May 1st, 2011, 1:11 am
Posts: 651
Location: Bristol, Va. USA
Brickie wrote:
The actual date of the sinking is in April, isn't it? Reckon you'll have it finished by then?

Not by a long shot!!

It's taken me 2 weeks of studying The Rivet Counter at the TRMA just to get a handle on all the modifications the kit needs. Some I will do....some I'll pass on.

J, funny thing.....I grew up in Havelock, not too far from you! I'll have to track down that book, looks like good reading.


Top
 Profile   
 
1/350 Titanic
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 1/350 Titanic
PostPosted: March 4th, 2012, 9:12 pm 
Offline
Active Participant

Joined: May 3rd, 2011, 3:20 pm
Posts: 621
I built that ship several years ago then dropped it and never got to repairing it so i threw it away.

http://gregers.7.forumer.com/viewtopic. ... c&start=30


Top
 Profile   
 
1/350 Titanic
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 1/350 Titanic
PostPosted: April 18th, 2012, 8:57 pm 
Offline
On a long, long journey
User avatar

Joined: May 2nd, 2011, 7:05 pm
Posts: 1247
Location: Wolverhampton,England
Any progress to report? have been toying with buying this or the Airfix 1/400 one.

_________________
BEEN A WHILE


Top
 Profile   
 
1/350 Titanic
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 1/350 Titanic
PostPosted: April 20th, 2012, 10:42 am 
Offline
starter kit

Joined: May 1st, 2011, 3:10 pm
Posts: 9
Location: Somerset, UK
bromo wrote:
Any progress to report? have been toying with buying this or the Airfix 1/400 one.

Hi Bromo,

the Revell 1/350 kit is classed as the best one but it is long out of production and they can be expensive to find.

I have one, which I (obviously) won't get around to building in time. Whereabouts in the world do you live?

cheers

Mike


Top
 Profile   
 
1/350 Titanic
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 1/350 Titanic
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2012, 12:01 am 
Offline
On a long, long journey
User avatar

Joined: May 2nd, 2011, 7:05 pm
Posts: 1247
Location: Wolverhampton,England
bootneck42 wrote:
bromo wrote:
Any progress to report? have been toying with buying this or the Airfix 1/400 one.

Hi Bromo,

the Revell 1/350 kit is classed as the best one but it is long out of production and they can be expensive to find.

I have one, which I (obviously) won't get around to building in time. Whereabouts in the world do you live?

cheers

Mike

Mike I live in England, is the Revell the same as the Minicraft? i have done some checking on the nett and it seems there is the Academy 1/400 or the Minicraft 1/350? or am i missing something?The Airfix Titanic is a rebox of the Academy and i know Revell are offering a special edition 1/400 as well?????? as fathers day is coming i was wondering if i could snag the Academy 1/400 Aniversary edition with the wood deck and photo etch :-D seeing as how much my kids love me so much :ha: hint hint!
Cheers Martin

_________________
BEEN A WHILE


Top
 Profile   
 
1/350 Titanic
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 1/350 Titanic
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2012, 12:06 am 
Offline
On a long, long journey
User avatar

Joined: May 2nd, 2011, 7:05 pm
Posts: 1247
Location: Wolverhampton,England
jRatz wrote:
"The Other Side of Night: The Carpathia, the Californian, and the Night the Titanic Was Lost" by Daniel Allen Butler is an excellent book about the sinking.

From the back cover:
"A few minutes before midnight on April 14, 1912, the "unsinkable" RMS Titanic, on her maiden voyage to New York, struck an iceberg. Less than three hours later she lay at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. While the world has remained fascinated by the tragedy, the most amazing drama of those fateful hours was not played out aboard the doomed liner. It took place on the decks of two other ships, one fifty-eight miles distant from the sinking Titanic, the other barely ten miles away. The masters of the steamships Carpathia and Californian, Captain Arthur Rostron and Captain Stanley Lord, were informed within minutes of each other that their vessels had picked up the distress signals of a sinking ship. Their actions in the hours and days that followed would become the stuff of legend, as one would choose to take his ship into dangerous waters to answer the call for help, while the other would decide that the hazard to himself and his command was too great to risk responding.

After years of research, Daniel Allen Butler now tells this incredible story, moving from ship to ship on the icy waters of the North Atlantic-in real-time-to recount how hundreds of people could have been rescued, but in the end only a few outside of the meager lifeboats were saved. He then looks alike at the U.S. Senate Investigation in Washington, and ultimately the British Board of Trade Inquiry in London, where the actions of each captain are probed, questioned, and judged, until the truth of what actually happened aboard the Titanic, the Carpathia and the Californian is revealed."

When was that book published first John? the book i have read Titanic destination disaster quotes that Captain Lord was never informed of the distress signal and a battle has gone on for years to clear his name.

_________________
BEEN A WHILE


Top
 Profile   
 
1/350 Titanic
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 1/350 Titanic
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2012, 1:48 am 
Offline
Why is he so confused ?
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2011, 3:42 pm
Posts: 9831
Location: Living on a sandbar - Nags Head, NC.
bromo wrote:

When was that book published first John? the book i have read Titanic destination disaster quotes that Captain Lord was never informed of the distress signal and a battle has gone on for years to clear his name.


2009. I'm not an expert and have no dog in the preserve/rewrite history fight, but the book seemed to me well written and logical, with well thought out discussions, not rants. No doubt there are volumes on each side to be compared.

_________________
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
All problems are soluble in stout.


Top
 Profile   
 
1/350 Titanic
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 1/350 Titanic
PostPosted: April 24th, 2012, 12:26 am 
Offline
Established 1949
User avatar

Joined: May 3rd, 2011, 8:05 pm
Posts: 1751
Location: Darlington. Home of the Railways
There is talk of false horizons now. This phenomenon would have made the iceberg almost invisible. Log entries from dozens of ships in the area and many more over the years have been checked and there is a lot of proof for this line of reasoning. It would also have made the Titanic look smaller. The effect tends to bend light. Many mistakes were made though, especially the shortage of lifeboats. The disaster did lead to much greater safety at sea since.

_________________
So many models, so little time.


Top
 Profile   
 
1/350 Titanic
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 1/350 Titanic
PostPosted: April 25th, 2012, 7:16 pm 
Offline
starter kit

Joined: May 1st, 2011, 3:10 pm
Posts: 9
Location: Somerset, UK
bromo wrote:
bootneck42 wrote:
bromo wrote:
Any progress to report? have been toying with buying this or the Airfix 1/400 one.

Hi Bromo,

the Revell 1/350 kit is classed as the best one but it is long out of production and they can be expensive to find.

I have one, which I (obviously) won't get around to building in time. Whereabouts in the world do you live?

cheers

Mike

Mike I live in England, is the Revell the same as the Minicraft? i have done some checking on the nett and it seems there is the Academy 1/400 or the Minicraft 1/350? or am i missing something?The Airfix Titanic is a rebox of the Academy and i know Revell are offering a special edition 1/400 as well?????? as fathers day is coming i was wondering if i could snag the Academy 1/400 Aniversary edition with the wood deck and photo etch :-D seeing as how much my kids love me so much :ha: hint hint!
Cheers Martin

Hi Martin,

I don't know if the Revell kit is the same as the Minicraft however, with the regular interchanging of moulds between companies, I wouldn't be surprised.

I've heard, but not seen, that the Academy 1:400 kit is a decent kit, especially if you are going to have a go with the wooden decks and PE etc.

Best get working on those kids of yours!

cheers

Mike


Top
 Profile   
 
1/350 Titanic
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 1/350 Titanic
PostPosted: April 25th, 2012, 7:18 pm 
Offline
On a long, long journey
User avatar

Joined: May 2nd, 2011, 7:05 pm
Posts: 1247
Location: Wolverhampton,England
They are being worked on as we speak :-D very unsubtle hints are being dropped at every chance i get :lol:

_________________
BEEN A WHILE


Top
 Profile   
 
1/350 Titanic
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 1/350 Titanic
PostPosted: July 15th, 2012, 10:53 pm 
Offline
Active Participant

Joined: May 1st, 2011, 1:11 am
Posts: 651
Location: Bristol, Va. USA
bromo wrote:
Any progress to report? have been toying with buying this or the Airfix 1/400 one.



Sorry to take so long to reply......Life got in the way. I've made some small progress.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
ImageImageImage

There will be more to come...

Thanks for looking


Top
 Profile   
 
1/350 Titanic
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 1/350 Titanic
PostPosted: July 21st, 2012, 9:21 pm 
Offline
On a long, long journey
User avatar

Joined: May 2nd, 2011, 7:05 pm
Posts: 1247
Location: Wolverhampton,England
Looking very good, some very nice sharp colour demarcations on the hull. Are you using all the photo etch??

_________________
BEEN A WHILE


Top
 Profile   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Macinscott 3 style by HighDefGeek