italeri 1/720 hms hood

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
omi
Getting well comfy!

italeri 1/720 hms hood

Post by omi »

i haven't posted for quite awhile but it dos'nt mean i have'nt been stealing some time at the w/bench.
1/720 kit of the hms hood, fine kit with loads of detail and loads of fiddly bits. fit was great and the detail well above what i expected and i enjoyed the build, the completed model took me about 5 days and i will be doing more of these kits.

see what you think, this is my first ever ship and there is some famliy history but i won't bore you with that.
omi
Getting well comfy!

Re: italeri 1/720 hms hood

Post by omi »

Can anyone see the pics? I'll post some more if they are not showing.
IvanV22
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by IvanV22 »

A fine ship, haven’t built a battleship since I was a kid!
Nice paint job, so clear lines! I really liked the life boats!!!!
And you used 5 days.. I would have used 5 months…
One thing , the aft flag post and flag seem to my eyes to be big for the scale, but I can be mistaken .
Best from Ivan
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Very nice work.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
bobblelink
Active Participant

Post by bobblelink »

I, for one would love to hear the family history.

British battle ensigns were huge, but I don't think they were flown from the Jackstaff
currently on the go: Revell Blenheim I, Italeri Me210, Revell HMS victory, Revell 1/144 p-47
completions in 2012:8, completions in 2013: 13, Completions in 2014:10, Completions in 2015: 9, Completions in 2016: 8, Completions in 2017: 9, Completions in 2018: 12, completions in 2019:7, completions in 2020: 17
bernard5802
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by bernard5802 »

Lovely model, well done :grin:

Regards, Bernard
omi
Getting well comfy!

Post by omi »

well thanks to all for the comments it's nice to hear the WELL DONE's instead of the "that's nice dear" from the wife.

One thing , the aft flag post and flag seem to my eyes to be big for the scale, but I can be mistaken .
i looked at this and i'm going to re do the flag so a smaller one it will be.

i'm going to dive into the history (or try).
I've tried most forms of plastic kits, planes tanks choppers so on and so on! anyhow i had stayed away from ships not for any reason just did'nt fancy them.
My father was in the royal navy for over 16 years and I was christened with brown ale and rum on one of her majesty's ships many years ago. The sea is in my blood from both sides of the family, but my grandfather was a real sea dog, he left a orphange and went straight into the navy at 15 years old, his service spanned both wars and after 22years in he was retired and the next day he signed up again as the world war 2 was still going.
one of the ships he was on was the Hood.
i'll have some more facts later.

on with the story.
after serving again he decommisioned from the navy and joined the merchant navy. this is where it gets sketchy, he was i believe involved in the evac of the troops at dunkirk and made numerous trips back and forth under enemy fire to get our troops, this only came out through public record some years after his death, my grandfather had won many medals and my family have collected them as he himself had not, i guess like many others back then, did not consider themselves brave or heroic.
i can find out but i believe he won the some pretty important awards.
in his time in the navy he served on the king george v, iron duke and many others but he did serve nearly 4 years on the king george.
So to the reasons why a ship kit, maybe because i never met the man but too think a relative of my own sailed on these historic ships and saw battle many times is a good enough reason and connection.
hope i did'nt ramble to much.
my next kit is pt-torpedo boat but i have just aquired the iron duke and hopefully the king george v.

Question has anyone came across a kit from the ton class of minesweepers this is what may father served on and has fond memorys of the class of ship, any help wound be most welcome.

martin.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Your Hood looks very good Omi. I haven't built a ship since the 70's. The family history is fascinating, certainly not boring and really puts your model into context. Go for it and build some of the others that your grandfather served on.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Marek
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Marek »

White Ensign Models should have TON class in their offerings. I am pretty vague about scale (either 700 or 350) ad availability but I am pretty sure they did model basic config Ton minesweepers.
omi
Getting well comfy!

Post by omi »

thanks for that marek i'll have a look see.
thanks for all the positves lads.
just for info i checked with the old man and the white ensign was only flew from the jackstaff when at anchor or tied up in port when they were underway it was flown from the main mast. plus i have missed a union flag in the corner next too the staff, anyone know where i can print out scale flags as to paint the flag smaller maybe out of my skill range.

cheers.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

That appears to be a nice little kit and you have done a neat job on it !!!
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”