New Models. MV Elizabeth B and Tantallon Castle

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Re: New Models. MV Elizabeth B and Tantallon Castle

Post by Chuck E »

It's been interesting recasting the old Minic Kits and working on my own. I found that the Minic kits could be modified to represent the ships later in their careers. A Minic Saxonia could be finished in the normal Black Hull / White upperworks, but you could modify it and paint it in two tone green, or even all white. Saxonia was converted to Carmania, a very rare and expensive model, and the converted again for Russian owners. Flandre could have a new structure built forward and become the Carla C. A lot of ships converted over to the cruise trade after the airlines were taking over the Atlantic Trade. From a few moulds, I can build up quite a nice collection.

Top to bottom : Carmania / Franconia. Carla C. Elizabeth Bowater.

The first try at vac moulding collapsed. Too much vac and not a strong enough box. Bit of a splash!

I'll build a box into this poly box and that should sort it.

I can still use the leftovers.
So many models, so little time.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Have you thought about mixing the resin then giving it a quick Vac to remove the air before you do the pour?

Having watched it done on YouTube the resin bubbles up like its boiling so they do it in a glass bell jar so they can watch it and release the vac before it all over flows then apply the vac again and repeat until the bubble stop.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

It dries far too quickly for that, Splash. I only manage to get enough into 3-4 moulds before it starts to set. A wide spatula is ideal to get a good mix very quickly.

I'll cut up some wood panels next week to support the sides and that should allow me to pull a better vacuum. I reckon about -18-20"Hg should be more than ample.
sotofloat
starter kit

Post by sotofloat »

Having sailed on the ss Sarah Bowater from 10.08.64 - 06.08.65 as 3rd Officer and on mv Tantallon Castle from 04.12.67 - 12.07.68 as 2nd Officer, I would be more than interested if any model maker could make me 1/1250 scale models of both or either of these vessels.
I can pay with Paypal and welcome any relevant information.
Please advise sotofloat@yahoo.co.uk
Regards, Tony.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

Hi Tony,

I can supply you one of these Lizzie B models. Tantallon Castle is going to take a little longer to get how I want it to look. I'm trying to make them look like the old Minic ships as far as detail is concerned. PM me your address and I'll post one off to you.

It will look like this. You will need to add the details.

Chuck

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”