New Models. MV Elizabeth B and Tantallon Castle

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
Chuck E
Established 1949

New Models. MV Elizabeth B and Tantallon Castle

Post by Chuck E »

I have been working on some new models in 1/1200 scale and tidying up some older tools. Two that are on the way are Manxman and a Tribal Class frigate, plus a number of Minic replicas in resin. I have just made a new lower hull section for the Airfix HMS Suffolk kit, so if anyone wants a full hull model of this ship, let me know. As soon as I get some more RTV I'll be making new moulds for HMS Hood ( 1930's refit ) and a new Hull for the Airfix Bismarck. I'm still not happy with the Type 45 tool, so this is going to be remade.

I found some old R A Sweet plans for 1/600 scale ships which gave me the idea to make this little beauty. It's all built from plasticard. Once I get the new RTV I'll be moulding this one too. It's based on the Bowater Shipping Lines 'Elizabeth Bowater' a classic design of small freighter. I decided to make it slightly different in style and it will be sold as 'Elizabeth B.' I'll need to find a way to cast the masts and hoists too. I have an idea to do them in resin. The test shots for another model were promising.

Here are some shots of the various stages of building. It's very near the casting stage now, with just a few small details to add. As you can see from the rule, it's around 90mm long.

So many models, so little time.
Jagewa
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: New Model. MV Elizabeth B

Post by Jagewa »

Very impressive plastic work Mr Rutland.

Cheers
Jim
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

Thanks Jim. I'm very pleased with how it's worked out. The pictures are all about twice full size, so the little imperfections show up. It looks a lot tidier in the plastic. My plan is to make it look like the old Tri-ang Minic Ships at this point. A 'Minic' Style SD14 general cargo will follow. I have a detailed master already, but want to continue with the 'Minic' theme for a while. St Germain and a General Cargo Ship, probably based on the Tantallon Castle or Markland vessels are on the drawing board. It will probably be the former as I already have two Union Castle lines ships, the Arundal Castle and Windsor Castle. To complement these I have been building up a range of harbour parts to my own design, though they will be compatible with the Minic items already available. I just need to finish the ferry terminal and dry dock sections. All of the parts are in resin and include a flour mill ( The Baltic ) and a warehouse. There is a neat little paddle tug and a set of barges available too. All models will need a little work to complete. Possibly a few masts from sprue or brass rod. I'm going to see if I can get some brass pins this week. The Len Jordan models used to be moulded using small pins inset into the mould during casting. I'm going to see if I can emulate this method.
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Very impressive work. I love watching people scratch build ships. I would love to see more of this
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

That's really nifty !!
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Lovely work! Very inspiring for anyone thinking of building something from scratch.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I think we've found someone to do Box Art background items :-D
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

. . . . but only if they're very small John ! :grin:

I'm going to start another one tomorrow. I must get some RTV soonish.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

That is so cool.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Re: New Models. MV Elizabeth B and Tantallon Castle

Post by Chuck E »

This is Tantallon Castle. Also in 1/1200 scale. It's based on photos which look as near as possible to the Minic 'Cargo Boat' that was never built. I've made the hull 3mm deeper so it can be cast as an unladen ship, or a laden one. I have a lot more detail to add before it can be cast.

Old_Tonto
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Old_Tonto »

Excellent skills on display here ChuckE. I wonder if I could do something similar to make a couple of Vietnam river junks or sampans.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

Try it OT. I find the way to go is to dig out a 3 view drawing, get it into your required scale and print it onto a sheet of paper. Cut out the plan view and elevation. Use PVA to stick the paper template to a sheet of 20 thou plasticard. Cut out the plan and go from there. In my Elizabeth B, you can see that I have made it slightly larger, as I wanted a slightly longer vessel. You can see where I cut the side view too. Build up the height of the main hull with layers and carve / sand them to the required shape. Make your side pices and cement in place with liquid poly. I use 10 thou for this. Long rows of port holes are best done at this stage, but you need to take more care to align everything later. I usually do it the other way using a flexible rule.

Always allow more length on the side bits as they have to bend around the hull. In the latest ones I've done, I made a single strip, cemented the port side and then wrapped it around the hull. Leave plenty of plastic on the lower edge as the flare of the bow pulls the card up. You can see where I had to fit a small piece into Elizabeth B's hull because I missed this. You learn as you go along. Start on something easy until you get the hang of it.

After this, just build up the layers as you go. I'm quite addicted to it. I've just started Manxman and a Tribal Class Frigate.

My hulls look quite deep because they are to be moulded and cast in resin and I can vary the freeboard to suit the application.

If anyone is interested in having a copy of these when I get them cast, let me know and I'll get one off to you. I'll only charge for resin and postage for club members.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

Some more on the way.

Manxman and a modified Tantallon Castle.

Tribal Class Frigate
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Top notch work
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Nikon Boy