ORP Metalowiec 1/400 by Mirage Hobby

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
Justin1980
Active Participant

Re: ORP Metalowiec 1/400 by Mirage Hobby

Post by Justin1980 »

Dirkpitt289 wrote: I especially love those that scratch build the entire thing. I'm going to enjoy watching this one.
Cheers Dirk,

I have to agree those that scratchbuild everything are a joy to watch, maybe someday! :ha:
AndrewR wrote:I'd like to do an interwar RN cruiser to start with, working up to HMS Hood later. (The Ood again..)

Which class of interwar cruiser and what boxing/scale of the Ood? :ha:
ShaunW wrote:So this is where you hang out then Justin.

However, lurking in my stash is the Tamiya Pibber, which is without doubt a floaty thing.

I see that you've also attracted Andrew and his jokes to your build thread, which is always a good thing :grin:
Cheers Shaun,

I do like the Pibber, is a very nice kit from the reviews and builds I have seen so far, and having Andrews unique humour helps keep the thread more interesting! :ha: Even with a lack of build progress! :shock:
Prisca wrote: I have them both as well, Queen Mary 1/570 and Titanic 1/400. I have several warships, SS Oriana 1/500 (will be a fun one!), a fishing trawler and an Italian sailing ship which I already fear will be a pain.

Sissel
Cheers Sissel,

I have the Revell Queen Mary and the Academy 1/600 Titanic, I look forward to the fising trawler, I do enjoy them being built, must get myself one! :ha: What model is it?

As for the sailing ship, I have a Victory and Cutty Sark waiting in the stash, they will take a fair amount of time to build though and I agree they may be the hardest challenge yet! Not a pain as this hobby is supposed to be fun......... :ha:

Regards

Justin

PS I promise to have an update today on both the Camel and here! :ha:
If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

The fishing trawler is Revell 1/142, a rather odd but large scale. It has crewmen and uhm.. stuff (been a while since I looked in the box, reminder for later). If I don't have airbrush when starting it I will use rattle cans for the hull.
I have the Amerigo Vespucci. Oooh Victory and Cutty Sark is not cutting a victory in me hands, ooooh the pain... :ha:
I do believe the Vespucci is a wee bit less difficult to build. But for me, yikes.. patience is required.
A model I bought long ago, but always dreaded to start for many reasons. It's a stunning looker though!

Sissel
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
Justin1980
Active Participant

Post by Justin1980 »

Prisca wrote:Oooh Victory and Cutty Sark is not cutting a victory in me hands, ooooh the pain... :ha:
Sissel
:roll:

That was bad Sissel! :ha:
Prisca wrote:The fishing trawler is Revell 1/142, a rather odd but large scale. It has crewmen and uhm.. stuff (been a while since I looked in the box, reminder for later). If I don't have airbrush when starting it I will use rattle cans for the hull.
I have the Amerigo Vespucci.
I would love to see you build the Amergio Vespucci though.

Well onto the update as promised! 8-)

The whole model was undercoated at which point I noticed quite a few areas that needed some attention,

The gaps filled and sanded and the stand built,

The aft end a few more small additions,

Quite a bad sink mark in the main gun,

Appropriate filler applied

The bridge had quite a large gap, which has also been filled,

Will wait until tomorrow to sand and refine,

Regards

Justin
If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Ah the filling and sanding cycle, not altogether very different to building an aircraft then. Keep battling on Justin, you're doing a good job. It's a handsome looking vessel.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Justin1980
Active Participant

Post by Justin1980 »

A small update,

I have started adding some PE,

The starboard forward hatch and ladder, I have used an open hatch and provided a little depth. The bridge windows were horrible so I have filed them out and added a little depth. All the other filler has been sanded down too.

The new bridge windows,

The bridge windows in place, just need some filler and sanding

Then an overall sand, clean and paint hopefully,

Regards

Justin
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

Justin1980 wrote:
Prisca wrote:Oooh Victory and Cutty Sark is not cutting a victory in me hands, ooooh the pain... :ha:
Sissel
:roll:

That was bad Sissel! :ha:
Oh no, quite the contrary, given the situation, a very precise joke ;-) :-D

It's looking really good. Great job you've done so far.
Really like the open hatch and bridge windows looks great too.
You have to have this finished when I get back from holidays in two weeks.

Sissel
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
Justin1980
Active Participant

Post by Justin1980 »

And it continues, the rest of my WEM goodies have been dispatched so will hopefully be here tomorrow (only generic fittings mind!).

Are you kidding Sissel, the twins came home! So there goes my hobby! :ha:

I have been experimenting with some old etch and trying to scratch some parts from it to fit the Metalowiec,

The mast is nearly complete, and some small railing applied around the missle director deck. I need to add some cross spars on the port mast as they fell off due to insufficent CA! :roll:

Regards

Justin
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nice one. Jeez some of that etch must be smaller than a small thing under a microscope :grin: From what I've seen on here though ship models don't half benefit from a bit of etch, if only for the railings around the decks.

IPMS#12300
Justin1980
Active Participant

Post by Justin1980 »

ShaunW wrote:I've seen on here though ship models don't half benefit from a bit of etch, if only for the railings around the decks.
Cheers Shaun,

I agree, in my opinion even just rails can bring a ship to life. I will do a size comparisson when I get the chance.

Regards

Justin
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Justin1980 wrote:
AndrewR wrote:I'd like to do an interwar RN cruiser to start with, working up to HMS Hood later. (The Ood again..)

Which class of interwar cruiser and what boxing/scale of the Ood? :ha:
ShaunW wrote:So this is where you hang out then Justin.

However, lurking in my stash is the Tamiya Pibber, which is without doubt a floaty thing.

I see that you've also attracted Andrew and his jokes to your build thread, which is always a good thing :grin:
Cheers Shaun,

I do like the Pibber, is a very nice kit from the reviews and builds I have seen so far, and having Andrews unique humour helps keep the thread more interesting! :ha: Even with a lack of build progress! :shock:
It's nice to be appreciated... I think :mrgreen:

Anyway, maybe a County class, or a Leander class to start with. In a perfect world, HMS Enterprise, as Katie's great-uncle Harold commanded her. (How cool is that - Captain of the Enterprise 8-) ).

I did build the old Airfix Ajax kit at one point, so I could get some WEM photoetch and have another go.

The corvette is looking good. :)
Up in the Great White North
Justin1980
Active Participant

Post by Justin1980 »

AndrewR wrote: It's nice to be appreciated... I think :mrgreen::)
Yes it is! :lol:
AndrewR wrote:
Anyway, maybe a County class, or a Leander class to start with. In a perfect world, HMS Enterprise, as Katie's great-uncle Harold commanded her. (How cool is that - Captain of the Enterprise 8-)
Now that would be a cool build and having some famiy history would make it even more interesting for you as well.

WEM has delivered my generic fittings yesterday so I maytry and steal a couple of moments away at the desk!

Regards

Justin
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I'm..ahem..old enough to remember a BBC drama series called "Warship" back in the 70's that featured a Leander class frigate and, if my memory serves me correctly, I think Airfix might have issued their Leander class with the fictional ship's markings. Or maybe I just dreamed that up - the kit's markings that is, not the telly series :grin:

IPMS#12300
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Looking good ! It would be great if you could get a couple clearer shots of all that stuff up on the mast ...
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Justin1980
Active Participant

Post by Justin1980 »

jRatz wrote:Looking good ! It would be great if you could get a couple clearer shots of all that stuff up on the mast ...
I will put some more on tonight hopefully and will hopefully complete some more of it! It was night and I dont have a table lamp yet! :roll:
ShaunW wrote:I'm..ahem..old enough to remember a BBC drama series called "Warship" back in the 70's that featured a Leander class frigate and, if my memory serves me correctly, I think Airfix might have issued their Leander class with the fictional ship's markings. Or maybe I just dreamed that up - the kit's markings that is, not the telly series :grin:
I have built an airfix Type 21 I want to get the Airfix Falklands warships set but they usually go for stupid money on ebay! Warship was a pretty cool TV show too! :grin: I dont know if they contain the fictional ship markings though.
Regards

Justin
Justin1980
Active Participant

Post by Justin1980 »

Work continues slowly! The joys of 5 week old twins! :lol:

For John a close up of the mast, that isnt blurred. :ha: Ok yes its a bit wonky! :shock: :ha:

The masts were made from a single spare signal mast and the yard arms from some spare PE with the stanchions from copper wire.

Some more railings and hatches added, still quite a lot of small additions to go, after I check some more pictures,

And a size comparison for Shaun,

Regards

Justin

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”