TAMIYA 1/350 KING GEORGE V

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
bromo
On a long, long journey

TAMIYA 1/350 KING GEORGE V

Post by bromo »

I was before xmas toying with getting a ship model and did put a couple on the xmas pressie list, both Airfix and 1/600 scale the KGV and the Iorn Duke alas no one bought them for me :cry: well it was my birthday last Friday and having been given some money (£100) i decided to treat myself :lol: my eldest daughter and her daughter gave me £50 so i bought the Tamiya 1/350 KGV (49.99 from Hobbycraft Wolverhampton) This looks to be a fantastic kit,well molded,good detail ect i am very happy with it, and will log the build using this thread at some point. My question's are regards colours, the box side shows the ship in 1945 colours ie overall grey but also shows the ship in a 1944 multi colour camo but says the fit of the model is for 1945.As i like the look of the 1944 camo my question is what would be involved, change wise, to back date the ship to 1944 also what would be a good book to buy for reference on the ship? also i am looking at getting a lazer cut wood deck set for it, has anyone any experiance of using these and are they worth the money? Thanks in advance for any advice/help.
BEEN A WHILE
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: TAMIYA 1/350 KING GEORGE V

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I'm not up on the KGV, but it sounds as if you are looking at the Pontos deck & aftermarket stuff ? I have some for Dreadnought but haven't got that far into it yet.

Here's a couple links:
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/vi ... 6&t=112847;
http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/mi ... eview.html;

One person recommends:
I would also highly recommend you add to your references "Warship Volume III" (Conway Maritime Press Ltd or Naval Institute Press, UK ISBN 0-85177-204-8 - US ISBN 0-87021-977-4), which contains a four-part article by the well-known naval historian Robert Dumas on the King George V class. It illustrates the evolution of the fit of the ships and the differences between each ship very well. It is available from second-hand booksellers and not particularly expensive, but do ensure you get the hardcover volume, which is the bound edition of four softcover issues also available separately.

Awaiting your build thread ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Warship models is a fantastic site for ship building information. Those decks look stunning.
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Thanks for all those links John, some fantastic information there, and thanks for the heads up for that site Dirk loaads to check out on there. Big thanks to both of you.
BEEN A WHILE
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Anytime my friend
.... Dirk

My Youtube Channel
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

The wooden decks i am looking at are by KA Models they seem to be the most expensive but look to be the best going by reviews ect. The WEM photo etch set is nearly as much as the kit :shock: and to be honest i doubt i could do justice to most of it so will probably just go with the railing set and generic ladder set that still along with the paints comes in around the £50.00 mark before a reference book is bought. This used to be a cheap hobby when i was a nipper :ha:
BEEN A WHILE
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Just checked out the Pontosmodel web site and they have a fantastic set for KGV in 1941, the only problem is the base kit for this set is the Tamiya Prince of Wales kit and it aint cheap so i think i will go with the above with maybe some turned main barrels.
BEEN A WHILE
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

I am saving the pennys for the upgrades i need as soon as this is done i will start building i reckon i need about £85.00 worth of pennys :shock:
BEEN A WHILE
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

bla bla bla... stop procrastinating and bring on the build. :ha: :ha: :ha: :ha:
.... Dirk

My Youtube Channel
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

One of the reasons, quit accumulating 1/350 large ships -- way too much money and too many parts ....
I'm a lot happier on destroyers and below ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
cameraman1944
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by cameraman1944 »

Hi Bromo,

I too have started this kit, but way back in July last year.
I purchased etch parts from WEM and yes it looks daunting
much more than I thought.

I already had a few books, including those mentioned by Ratz and info for reference, having been a RC ship modeller in a previous life.
RC ship models are usually 1/72 scale or larger.
For colour schemes, plans and photos of built models you cannot beat King George V Class Battleships by Roger Chesneau.
Published by Chatham Publishing ISBN 186172119.

One thing you should NOT do is take a look at the massive KGV model in the Nautical Museum at Greenwich.
The detail is fantastic.
It will put you off which is why my build is on hold
On the other hand it may inspire you.

Maybe seeing your build will re-light the spark in me.
Cheers,

Don
Don Robson
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

cameraman1944 wrote:Hi Bromo,

I too have started this kit, but way back in July last year.
I purchased etch parts from WEM and yes it looks daunting
much more than I thought.

I already had a few books, including those mentioned by Ratz and info for reference, having been a RC ship modeller in a previous life.
RC ship models are usually 1/72 scale or larger.
For colour schemes, plans and photos of built models you cannot beat King George V Class Battleships by Roger Chesneau.
Published by Chatham Publishing ISBN 186172119.

One thing you should NOT do is take a look at the massive KGV model in the Nautical Museum at Greenwich.
The detail is fantastic.
It will put you off which is why my build is on hold
On the other hand it may inspire you.

Maybe seeing your build will re-light the spark in me.
Cheers,

Don
Cheers Don i had nearly saved the pennies and then Friday i went and blew nearly £70.00 on a Hasegawa FGR-2 Phantom plus wheel and canopy masks and delivery :oops: oh well the saving starts again
BEEN A WHILE
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Don't laugh but update and pics coming soon, I have :shock: shock horror been actually building and painting the hull is painted and complete and the main superstructure's built and painted pictures will follow. I was going to buy a wooden deck but in my haste glued all the parts to the deck ie AA rings then realised I could not fit the wooden deck over them this means I now have to hand paint everything :evil: even so this is a beautifully engineered kit with the fit of parts being A1 pictures will follow in the next few days.
BEEN A WHILE
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

This interesting. I've had the KGV in the stash for quite a while now.

I'm mustering up the courage to try and sneak the upgrade kits past Mrs Dazzled ;-) .
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by SJPONeill »

"Hey, look! Is that a shoe sale?"
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”