CVN-65 in 1/350 -- references for equipment fit c.1975?

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
Tarkas
Active Participant

CVN-65 in 1/350 -- references for equipment fit c.1975?

Post by Tarkas »

Finally bit the bullet, so to speak, and picked up the Tamiya 1/350 CVN-65 kit. The thing is, I want to make the Big E as she was in 1974-5 when she was the home of the first operational F-14 units, and I gather that the kit represents the ship at a later date -- mid-80s et seq. Now, I could probably cite chapter and verse on the aircraft, but less so on the ship.

So, can anyone help with a description of the differences, some references that I could consult to make any changes needed, and even an idea of whether there are any after-market parts that would make the alterations easier? I want to do this right, but I need to know where to start.

Thanks,
Phil
Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox, sometimes...
jamesaw
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: CVN-65 in 1/350 -- references for equipment fit c.1975?

Post by jamesaw »

Hi:

The Revell 1:720 Enterprise is probably representative of the general island configuraton as it wasn't rebuilt until after '75. Mark's Models (Starfighter Decals) should be able to supply the correct airwing markings for the timeframe. White Ensign Models should have most of the detail parts for weapons, boats etc. and Gold Medal Models or White Ensign should be able to supply the relevant radar, railing, anchors etc. Trumpeter should have all the aircraft in 1:350 and I would check Squadron.com as they seem to rotate through putting them on sale so if you're patient, you should be able to get them for a pretty reasonable price. I just finished the Revell Enterprise (started it 20 years ago!) with the 1:720 details but haven't posted any pics yet.

Regards,

Howard
Tarkas
Active Participant

Post by Tarkas »

Thanks for that, Howard. What I really need is some sort of reference for any hull changes between 1975 and post-79. I managed to get my hands on a cheap Trumpeter model, so that sorts out the island problem (I hope), but checking reviews and the like seems to indicate that there's an extra sponson on one side of the hull and other inaccuracies. I am trying to find out exactly what these are, but it's not easy for some reason.

I already have the aircraft and the Starfighter decals, and intend to get PE parts from GMM, WEM and maybe even Eduard, but can I find decent reference material for the ship itself? Can I heck! Even classics like the Detail and Scale book -- I tried inter-library loan, and they informed me that there isn't a copy in any library in the country! Whatever happened to the British Library?

Fnord.

Thanks anyway,
Phil
jamesaw

Post by jamesaw »

Maybe somebody has a copy of the Cruise Book for the 74-75 timeframe? Ebay sells them but they're pretty pricey and it's anybody's guess what they decided to photograph. Good luck!

Howard
Wookie13
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by Wookie13 »

If you can gain access (usually by claiming to be doing research or are a student) try one of the copyright libraries. There are iirc 5 in the country from my days working in printers warehouse. Every copyright library receives copies of every single book published in this country. Not sure where you are, but certainly the British Library, University Library Cambridge, The Bodlian Oxford & I believe St Andrews Scotland are all copyright libraries. I'm a bit rusty on them, but google should help - after that your only challenge is getting in!
Failing which try the National Maritime Museum
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

I was looking into the history of the CVN-65 Enterprise earlier, isn't there a website for the Enterprise specifically?. Perhaps that would help.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Tarkas
Active Participant

Post by Tarkas »

I've had a look at the Enterprise website, but it wasn't a lot of help. A fair bit of info about the ship's history, especially its operations over the years, but nothing much about refits other than that they happened; no details of the sort a modeller wants. Heck, I'd settle for a decent set of plans to differentiate before and after the '79 refit, but I can't find them. :roll:

Found a photo-disc at WEM, and I'm hoping that that might have some shots from the appropriate era. I'll let you know when it shows up.

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”