Heller 1/400 T-23 Torpedoboot

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
Justin1980
Active Participant

Heller 1/400 T-23 Torpedoboot

Post by Justin1980 »

Well as I am around for another week, I thought I should get some time in in the man cave as the boy is at school and the two terrors have finally gotten over their cold.

So my next project has just been started, I promise to take continual pictures and keep this thread updated!

The hull,

The base,

I have have received most of the goodies from WEM when I built the ORP just waiting on photoetch weapons so it should look better than the last ship, hopefully...........
If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Justin1980
Active Participant

Re: Heller 1/400 T-23 Torpedoboot

Post by Justin1980 »

A small update, SHip is now in the base. I have done it this way round to see if it makes it easier to build, less change of it rolling over me thinks!

If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Clashcityrocker »

What is your sea made of? I'm guessing polystyrene.
Looks good.

Nigel
Justin1980
Active Participant

Post by Justin1980 »

Thanks Nigel,

Yes its the extruded polystyrene. The base coat has had another coat ready for the water effect and waves then I can tidy up the base. I am hoping it will look ten times better when thats done, looks a little slap dash at present.

Justin
Justin1980
Active Participant

Post by Justin1980 »

Hi all,

A little work has started on the little things,

The resin main guns have arrived from WEM. Just waiting on the photo etch weapons set.

And the base looking a bit more refined. Just waiting for it to dry before adding the water.

And as I am muppet and based the hull I will not be doing it in a camo scheme, due to being unable to paint in a refined way as it secured in the base! :roll:
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

This is looking great, and the base will be nice.
Resin.. how do you cut through that hard stuff? I need to sand away those big blocks cause it will just brake my knife blades or the saw cutter I have.

I've made a 1/400 Torpedoboot as well, the Airfix one. Probably same kit. I didn't add any extra stuff though.

Will you be painting it in camo?
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
Justin1980
Active Participant

Post by Justin1980 »

No Sissel, unfortunately not in camo due to fixing it to the base, the angle at the bow would make for some interesting painting angles!

I dont mind the all grey look anyway! :-D

The resin (if your referring to the main guns) is very thin, most of the flash is very brittle and takes no effort to remove. A resin hull would be different!

Did you post pics of yours?
Sissel

Post by Sissel »

I always fear those big blocks under the resin part you're going to use. On my previous models there was a resin seat stuck to a big block. Sawing at the edge where seat meets block was difficult, so bl**dy hard no stuff I had was powerful enough so I just put the block on a sanding paper and got an entire workout. :lol:
Think I've heard of resin cutters but not found any online.

Yes, they're way back in my workbench thread, finished it last November. Airfix reiusse of Heller Kriegsmarine set.
A very simple model. Yours will look better with the PE, resin and base!
Here it is.

Justin1980
Active Participant

Post by Justin1980 »

Yep same model indeed! Hey its straight, clean and I would be very happy to have that in my display cabinet, and takes alot less time without PE! I think I am addicted to PE is that something to be worried about????????? :ha:

I seen some of your new floaty arrivals, any plans for them yet?
Sissel

Post by Sissel »

Addicted to PE? Well, it sure beats being addictive to eh.. heavier stuff! :ha:
As long as you get to put the PE on and not just stare at it, I suppose you're still good.

The floaties was just an instinct buy. But they were on my wishlist, just happy to find two ships from Hurtigruten, so I had to make another order. No plans for them this year, no time. Might get a go on the MS Fantasy in December though. Just have 2-3 bigger boats to build before it, gotta stick to schedule. :)
Justin1980
Active Participant

Post by Justin1980 »

The first layer of the javis water effect has been added and dried, work continues on the main guns and other fiddly little bits!

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

This is very interesting Justin and I like the way you are developing that sea base. The PE fit on model ships looks to be quite fiddly but they do really seem to benefit from it. I reckon most ship models benefit from PE handrails if nothing else.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Justin1980
Active Participant

Post by Justin1980 »

Thanks Shaun,

I agree even just railings will bring any ship to life.
Sissel

Post by Sissel »

The railings that followed in the Airfix kit were way oversized. Even cutting some height it looks oversized.
PE is definitely best here. Sea looks great!

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”