HMS Victory

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
martin hale
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Re: HMS Victory

Post by martin hale »

Any more news on this build? It is one of my current favourites.
Martin
philp
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by philp »

Will keep my eye on this as got to tour Victory this year before SMW.
Quin
starter kit

Post by Quin »

My grandson has just been given one of these Airfix 'Starter Kits' of Victory as a birthday present, and I immediately commented about the pics on the front and back of the box showing 3 and 4 sails respectively on the fore and main masts, and how I've never come across a painting or photo of Victory with 4 sails on the main mast (excluding the studdingsails). But looking at the book "Nelson's Victory" by Peter Goodwin (Keeper and Curator of HMS Victory) he gives a diagram showing the Square Sails on Victory, and there are 10 sails on each of the fore and main masts. The uppermost sail is the Royal, but where on any drawing/photo are the royal yards shown? Maybe the royal yards were only hoisted into place when the royal sails were needed?
Now I've just got to admit to my grandson that I was wrong and Victory's fore and main masts could have courses, topsails, topgallants and royals!
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

Some good news! I've found the model of HMS Shannon ( In a Manxman box! ) I'll have to get it done along with the Victory.

Watch this space.
So many models, so little time.

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”