DAZZ BOOT!

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: DAZZ BOOT!

Post by Dazzled »

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

A bit more progress today :) .

The yellow stripes are done so, with those dry, I was able to attach the upper part of the conning tower.

And with this in place I was able to add some detail in and around the bridge.

I have to say that I'm rather enjoying this kit. :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That really does look the business, this is a great looking kit with some nice detail, I'm half tempted to look out for one as it would make a change to my usual subjects.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Looking very nice.

Nigel
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Excellent work. Not really into boats but that is quality. I've got something similar in my stash but I doubt if I'll ever get round to building it so Shaun if you're interested let me know.
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
jamesaw

Post by jamesaw »

Nice job!
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Thanks chaps. :)

I built this for a change too Shaun, and I can highly recommend this kit.

Not much progress to report I'm afraid. Just some mundane stuff. Removing, cleaning up and painting handrails etc. although this is nearly done and some more pictures will be following soon.

Darryl
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Just a little update for now.

The kit comes with a rather nice stand.

It actually takes the majority of the decals on the sheet but they do look quite effective on a coat of gloss black.

And the props are on.

They were painted with Humbrol enamel 16 (gold) and, when dry, given an overcoat of Tamiya XF-19 (smoke) to tone them down a little.

More updates very soon :) .

Darryl
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

And, as promised.....

Today has been pleasingly productive. Basically, all the parts are on.

Mostly handrails, poles and lifebelts. For this, Zap-a-Gap and accelerator were absolutely invaluable but, equally important, was that this potential minefield was made infinitely easier to negotiate by the excellent engineering of this kit. True, a little fettling was required but nothing that would cause a nervous breakdown. In fact, the main issue was Mr Clumsy here constantly knocking delicate bits off and having to re-attach them :oops: .

Now it's time for a little touch up, a spot of detail painting, some rigging and the flag.

I thought about it and I've decided not to weather this one, not even lightly ( I know you're all shocked that the king of muckification is holding back ;-) ) but I like the current finish too much to want to mess around with it. With that in mind, I don't know if I can finish this today but, the end is definitely in sight :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

general rocket

Post by general rocket »

Yet another nice job.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Thank you for the compliment GR.

Despite my doubts about finishing I pushed on with the U-boat.

I had all but conquered the rigging and moved on to the flag. I did, however, encounter a bit of an issue with this. First, no swastika. I know that in some countries this is still considered offensive but, hey, it's a religious symbol hijacked by the Nazis and IMHO I think it's time it was taken back. Furthermore, it makes my models look wrong without one :frown: . The other problem was that, no matter how much I tried, I wasn't going to get the thing folded over properly on itself so......

I floated it flat again and attached it to a single ply layer of loo paper. It was the only thing I could think of that would provide a thin enough layer to back it. When I was happy that it was flat I dabbed on some Microset and left it to dry out a little. When I returned it was still barely damp but it was dry enough for me to first add a couple of faded swastikas with a fine tipped marker and then fold it around it's pole using more Microset to help it adhere.

This was the result.

In fact that was the last thing to do so ladies and gents, in no particular order,here's some more pictures.

I rigged the model with 0.15mm EZ line and used a small piece of styrene rod painted with Metalcote steel to represent a turnbuckle just forward of the conning tower.

The model has, at the moment, got pride of place in the display cabinet although some rearranging, and probably yet another cabinet, may be in order soon ;-) .

Conclusions

This is the first submarine kit I've built despite being in the hobby for nearly forty years and I can honestly say that I've thoroughly enjoyed it. I must say that I've always regarded Revell kits as a bit "second choice" but I'm coming round to the fact that they are definitely a company that takes product improvement very seriously. Everything about this kit represents good quality from the detail prevalent in the model, the standard of the decals and through to the instructions, a much maligned feature of Revell's kits in the past. These were clear and well produced. A world away from the old "recycled toilet paper" with cramped low quality printing.

The kit is also very well engineered. The decks, for instance, pretty much clip into the top of the hull such is the accuracy of fit and the conning tower is positively located and butts down to the deck seamlessly. The only gripes are minor. There was a very small amount of flash on one or two components and some mould lines to clean up but no worse than I've seen on much more expensive kits from certain much revered far eastern producers. Overall this was an immensely satisfying and relaxing build. If we could get Revell to abandon their end opening boxes then this would be 100% but you can't have everything and, given the value for money that this kit delivers, I wouldn't complain if they served it up in a plastic bag :grin: .

If your looking for a sub kit for a first go, or if you are a serious submarine modeller, this is one you definitely should build.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Looks very nice. Ships and boats on stands always look good on a shelf I reckon. Not taking anything away from maritime dioramas you understand ;-)

Nigel
nashorn
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by nashorn »

Really enjoying this build, you are doing great work.

rich.
Rich.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

All I can say is, it's Brilliant well done it looks excellent.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

I like it a lot. Well done. The flag idea is good and looks the part.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

A really great finish Darryl and an excellent, interesting build with a nice summing up of the kit. I must admit, I've been a bit of a fan of Revell kits for a while now and consider them to be great value for money. I was supposed to be on a buying of kits ban next year, but if one of these strays across my path it may well be purchased, along with the Airfix Eagle Transporter and maybe the newly announced 1/48th Gnat. Did I mention a kit buying ban? doubt it, you must be hearing things :ha:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”