Zvezda 1/350 "Dreadnought"

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
privatepike
starter kit

Zvezda 1/350 "Dreadnought"

Post by privatepike »

Anybody else seen this on the Dragonmodelsusa.com site:

http://www.dragonmodelsusa.com/dmlusa/p ... id=ZVE9039;

I for one will be looking forward to more details on this.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Re: Zvezda 1/350 "Dreadnought"

Post by Chuck E »

Now that looks worth getting hold of. I'm still awaiting the long promised Warspite from Academy as well.
So many models, so little time.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Isn't the Dreadnought one of those 'grail' subjects for shipbuilders?
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Given the quality of the Zvezda Hind I made recently, it should be a nice piece of modelling and far in advance of anything Airfix could do at the moment.
Did you know that representatives of other modelling companies actually hang around the Airfix stand at shows and make note of what the customers request?

Regards,
Bruce
flakmonkey
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by flakmonkey »

MerlinJones wrote:Did you know that representatives of other modelling companies actually hang around the Airfix stand at shows and make note of what the customers request?
I never knew that. Now that I do, I shall make sure the Trumpeter bloke isn't around when asking for a new Jaguar.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
peebeep

Post by peebeep »

MerlinJones wrote:Did you know that representatives of other modelling companies actually hang around the Airfix stand at shows and make note of what the customers request?
Maybe they've been checking out Steven Pietrobon's campaign on ATF.

peebeep
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

They visit more than the ATF! ;-)

Regards,
Bruce
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

Did you know that representatives of other modelling companies actually hang around the Airfix stand at shows and make note of what the customers request?
I didn't know that Bruce. Interesting. Dreadnought was the first of a whole new breed of warship. It was said that it's launch made every other warship obsolete. It started the naval arms race all over again.
Yes. But Airfix made an HMS Illustrious, and a black sausage ... so ... we can't complain. 1:350 isn't my style, anyway. I want it in 1:600. This goes to show how "golden" this age of modelling really is. I really can hope for one in 1:600 - in fact, I can hope for the Grand Fleet in 1:600.
I'm afraid that we'll have to bite the bullet and accept that 1/600th has passed it's sell by date. The existing models will be available for a time, but the range is small and very few manufacturer's followed this scale. There are some, but most are very old kits now. I have collections of 1/600 and 1/400 ships, but it looks like 1/700 and 1/350th are now the standard, even for Airfix. It would not really have been a lucrative business for Airfix to continue with this scale. Shame though. 1/600 is a good scale for ships.

1/1200 is still a good scale for new releases though, as this scale has been around for many years.
So many models, so little time.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Chuck E wrote: Dreadnought was the first of a whole new breed of warship. It was said that it's launch made every other warship obsolete. It started the naval arms race all over again.
And in the process, Britain essentially obsoleted it's own fleet. An absolutely wonderful book is Massie's "Dreadnought - Britain, Germany & the Coming of the Great War". "The Battleship Dreadnought - Anatomy of the Ship" is a great reference for a build.

I have the Combrig 700 scale kit but haven't started it.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
peebeep

Post by peebeep »

MerlinJones wrote:They visit more than the ATF!
I'm sure they do.

Steven started up his 'Dreadnought' campaign back in 2006 and people are still contributing to the thread. It's a subject that also crops up on the dedicated ship modelling sites as well as places like UAMF. There have been resin Dreadnoughts but I think this Zvezda release is the first mainstream injection moulded kit. It's nice to think that somebody is paying attention, even if for some modellers the kit is in the 'wrong' scale.

peebeep
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

'Tis always struck me as strange that Airfix would provide 3 TSR2 kits, in 1/72 and 1/48, but not a Dreadnought.

Regards,
Bruce
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

MerlinJones wrote:'Tis always struck me as strange that Airfix would provide 3 TSR2 kits, in 1/72 and 1/48, but not a Dreadnought.

Regards,
Bruce
That Airfix seems disproportionately "light" on WW1-era almost across the board may have something to do with it ?
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by SJPONeill »

Chuck E wrote:I'm afraid that we'll have to bite the bullet and accept that 1/600th has passed it's sell by date. The existing models will be available for a time, but the range is small and very few manufacturer's followed this scale. There are some, but most are very old kits now. I have collections of 1/600 and 1/400 ships, but it looks like 1/700 and 1/350th are now the standard, even for Airfix. It would not really have been a lucrative business for Airfix to continue with this scale. Shame though. 1/600 is a good scale for ships.

Perhaps not...here's development of HMS Royal Sovereign in 1/600...if nothing else, this might provide the basis for a relatively simple scratchbuild...http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/ship ... 600-a.html
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
privatepike
starter kit

Post by privatepike »

Just thought I'd add for all you 1/700 scale fans that MasterBox are planning an entire battle of jutland range, check here: http://www.mbltd.info/proces.htm;

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”