Defiant References

Lots of possibilities in this Classic British Kit ....
Runs 29 September to 28 October.
GB Leader: jRatz
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Defiant References

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Here post information and references to the B.P. Defiant aircraft, etc.
A good place to ask historical questions.

I am going to lead this off by quoting a couple posts from the initial thread that provide good information.
jssel wrote:Anyone who would like the SMI Battle of Britain article please PM me your email address and I will get it sent soonest.
Just a re-cap: Ray Rimmell buildt 12 models of BoB participants 6 defenders and 6 attackers. He goes into detail on how to correct the Airfix Defiant.
Jeff
lancfan wrote: Aeroplane Monthly covered the Defiant in their 'Database' series in October 2008, I have this article and if anyone wants to read this just pm your email and I'll send it to you.
David.
jRatz wrote: I have extracted 7 articles relating to the Airfix Defiant from the old Airfix magazine, converted them to PDF, and stored them online for your access. Simply right click on the links below, then do whatever "Save As" your browser allows.

You need to have a reasonably recent Adobe Acrobat PDF reader, something past version 4. Any problems with these downloads, or you need additional information, let me know. Yes I know they are sideways, but if you print them, they'll come out right ... or just turn your computer, easy if you have an iPad .....

Opinions expressed on each article are my own.
I consider articles #D and possibly #E useful for all.
Articles #C, #B, and possibly #F are useful if you are doing a TT conversion, even if a Mk.1.
I don't consider #A or #G particularly useful but they are here for completeness.

A. Airfix Magazine Apr 61. A reminiscence by Sqn Ldr D.H. "Nobby" Clarke, DFC, AFC, about flying the Defiant - really nothing of value to the modeler or aviation history.

B. Airfix Magazine Jan 63. An article by M.J.F.Bowyer about converting the Airfix Defiant to a target tug, TT.Mk.3, although the majority of the article discusses history, camo, and markings in general terms and the actual conversion is covered in generalities, with a couple sketches -- useful, but the #C offering is the best.

C. Airfix Magazine Jan 68. The master, Alan W. Hall, describes in great detail, with photos and drawings, how to convert the Airfix kit to a TT.3. Old school at its best, but he does not address other shortcomings, such as the nose.

D. Airfix Magazine Oct 76. Bryan Philpott discusses a few night fighters, in particular the Defiant, including corrections to the nose, ailerons, tail, and rudder -- of use to all. See also #E.

E. Airfix Magazine Feb 77. A Letter to the Editor commenting on the nose corrections in #D and supplying several drawings of variants, including the prototype.

F. Airfix Magazine Dec89/Jan90. The master, Alan W. Hall, is back, this time discussing the construction of the Pegasus kit -- not completely irrelevant as he is building a TT.3 and there is some useful information to be gleaned.

G. Airfix Magazine Jun 92. Grant Taylor constructs the Airfix kit using an Airwaves resin nose -- probably very similar to the Valiant Wings one now available. That fix is fairly simple and there isn't much else noteworthy in the article.
Enjoy,
John
Jagewa wrote: a link for your Bolton and Paul turret drill detail...

Cheers
Jim
JamesPerrin wrote: Don't forget to check SAMI from last year [July 2011 issue] which has an excellent article, written by a fantastic chap, on building the Defiant with the Valiant Wings nose.
:mrgreen:
That should be enough to get anyone started !!!!
Old_Tonto
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Defiant References

Post by Old_Tonto »

JamesPerrin wrote: Don't forget to check SAMI from last year [July 2011 issue] which has an excellent article, written by a fantastic chap, on building the Defiant with the Valiant Wings nose.
Where can we get a copy?
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Old_Tonto wrote:
Where can we get a copy?
Ask the fantastic chap .... he probably keeps a dozen or so issues to admire in front of his mirror :lol: :lol: :lol:

If that doesn't work, PM me and I'll scan it for you ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

jRatz wrote:Ask the fantastic chap .... he probably keeps a dozen or so issues to admire in front of his mirror :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've actually used them to wallpaper my model room :mrgreen:
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

I'd like to see the article
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Here are some color profiles for inspiration

.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

@Dirk, OT: Will try and remember to scan it tonight. Please pm me your email address.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Hey guys. I am not in the build but have the Ray Rimmell BoB article from SAM years ago.

PM me your email and I'll send it out.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

From SAMI, April 2003.

From SAMI, issue unknown.

From SAMI, July 2011.

I love the old Camo & Markings series. I think most of them came out in the 1970's. Very short, much like the Profile series, but full of fact and illustration. The "color profiles" are tone drawings but there are still other color plates. Variations are carefully explored, particularly useful in the 1937-1941 timeframe when so many changes occurred (IMHO, you can't model early Hurricanes without that C&M). In most cases, factory specifications for camo & marking application, to include stencils, are included, really handy if you want your upper wing roundel in an exact scale position. Did you know that the Sky demarcation line is formed by a tangent to the fuselage curve of not more than a 60-degree angle with the horizontal ? Both the 'A' and 'B' schemes are shown -- no more guesswork

The Allied Wings series is new and more focused on operational history. I find them quite interesting and useful.

These two books, together, are the primary reference for my build markings.

Mushroom is, of course, Mushroom. Lots of details, lots of history, lots of drawings and profiles … but I'm finding more and more errors of type identification, serial transposition, etc, these days and I no longer trust them without verification. Fortunately one can usually clear up the issue from elsewhere in the book, but it didn't used to be this way. One rule I now follow, in Mushroom and elsewhere, is to never trust a color profile without a photo to verify markings and aircraft configuration.

Unlike Mushrooms, I have never trusted a Warpaint volume without confirmation elsewhere. Basic facts are incorrect (e.g., the windmill winch is not on the port side), color profiles are pretty and prolific, but, suspect, aircraft marks on profiles/photos are suspect, and even though they may publish appropriate tables in the book they don't fact check themselves, and etc. Nonetheless there is a great amount of info/pix/profiles presented and in concert with other refs they become very useful.

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Just to piggyback on my remarks about accuracy, while both Mushroom and Warpaint 3-views agree in plan view for the Mk.I, they do not in profile -- and it turns out the Mushroom one, although labeled a Mk.I really has the Mk.II tail ....
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Martin R »

Folks,

I know I'm not in the build, but I am enjoying following it.

Would it be possible please for someone to post the known errors of the Airfix kit for my edification?

I know about the nose and spinner shape issues, and I believe there are issues with the back end shape / size. Also, having read the build threads, people have mentioned that the turret has some size issues.

However, is there also an issue with the wing chord? It looks awf'y skinny tae me.

regards,

Martin
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Martin R wrote:Folks,

I know I'm not in the build, but I am enjoying following it.

Would it be possible please for someone to post the known errors of the Airfix kit for my edification?

I know about the nose and spinner shape issues, and I believe there are issues with the back end shape / size. Also, having read the build threads, people have mentioned that the turret has some size issues.

However, is there also an issue with the wing chord? It looks awf'y skinny tae me.

regards,

Martin
Good idea, I'm too tied up though the 23rd but might start after unless someone beats me too it. Maybe a separate thread would be a good idea.

Return to “Airfix Defiant SKGB”