Sign-up and Chat

Our 3rd helicopter GB .... odd for a Forum that favors airplanes that actually fly and not those gangly objects that must instead be flown ....
Runs October 15th to November 30th.
GB Leader is ShaunW
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Sign-up and Chat

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

A continuation of the initial 'Whirlibird' thread from GB Chat ....

Here sign-up for the 'Whirlibird III' GB, state your entry, chat with others who are joining the GB.

Your GB Leaders will post the details here shortly ....
martin hale
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Re: Sign-up and Chat

Post by martin hale »

OK I'm up for this. I will probably be doing a Matchbox Wessex, although I might try and get hold of an Airfix Belvedere.

Martin
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Airfix 1/72 Gazelle. Will be doing it in early Helo Green and Black markings from the spares box. Partially as I went to the effort to get some of the correct shade of green from Xtracolor after experimental mixes for my Lynx.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

I am in, just need to pick or find a suitable kit in the collection, but looking forward to this.
Ernie
did_nev

Post by did_nev »

My kits are lined for the start. Ow joy! :)
2012 A:02 B:29 C:00

On the bench : Buccaneer // B-52D // 1/48 Lancaster
Coming up : Spitfire XIV (SKGB)
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Wow! set up and ready to go, thank you John. Sorry the GB Leader has been a bit slow off the mark but I've been out most of the afternoon and evening. Welcome all then to Whirlibirds III roll on the 15th and we can all get stuck in, I've been looking forward to this for ages. My entry is the Airfix Apache Longbow in 1/72nd. How accurate this kit is I haven't got a clue and it will be built OOB save for maybe one or two additionals, I'll make my mind up during the build.

Some come on and join the chopper squad, I'm confident that we'll have a good GB here and I look forward to seeing details of your builds.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

Im in for this one with the 1/72 Italeri Wessex, tried the last Whirlibirds B and failed so hopefully i can finish this one and get my first chopper done :)
"When a prang (crash) seems inevitable, endeavor to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slow and gently as possible." - Advice given to RAF pilots during WWII
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Motley wrote:Im in for this one with the 1/72 Italeri Wessex, tried the last Whirlibirds B and failed so hopefully i can finish this one and get my first chopper done :)
It's a nice kit, but check out the tail rotor blades they are on the wrong way around :twisted:

Here is a link to my Wessex build

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
martin hale

Post by martin hale »

Right! assuming the kit I have sourced arrives on time, I have decided to go for the Belvedere. I have always wanted to do one of these and this GB seems a golden opportunity to achieve this. Of course, given the corrections needing to be made to the kit, I might be biting off more than I can chew in the timescale, but at least I will end up with a build sufficiently advanced that it will stand a good chance of getting finished at some point.

Martin
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Sorry but I'm still getting my act together, I work from home but have been in and out all morning. I'll post up my previously built chopper and some starting pics of my Apache for this effort later today. Sorry if I haven't commented on all of your build proposals but I didn't get back until quite late last night. Anyway, enough of the GBL excuses, in the meantime if anyone wants to open their thread with the usual box contents shots etc (not starting the kit of course :grin: ) then please feel free to do so.

Welcome aboard Motley - I have a 100% DNF rate for GB's so far so will try and pull out the stops to finish this one :grin:

Martin - the Belvedere is a very interesting choice and very much a CBK. I have a feeling this will be something of a challenge and I look forward to your efforts!

IPMS#12300
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

I was just about to start this little beauty, but can hold off for another week. The only problem with this model (apart from the UH.5 typo on the box) is that there are at least 6 different schemes I want to complete it in - the AA&AE Raspberry Ripple available on a Hannants Xtradecal sheet being my favourite.

With a 1/72 Hobby Boss P-40 for a size comparison.

cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

I'll be building the Italeri Apache Longbow in 1/72, so I can compare notes with our Illustrious Leader.
This is the first helicopter I've built in 38 years, the last one being the Revell Sikorsky Sky Crane. :)

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Oh yes, that is a great looking kit Beany and will look a peach in the RR scheme. From the OOB choices it would be the Navy Rescue version for me. You could, of course, buy 6 kits - it would be a tad expensive though, but I'm sure you're worth it :grin:

IPMS#12300
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

AndrewR wrote:I'll be building the Italeri Apache Longbow in 1/72, so I can compare notes with our Illustrious Leader.
This is the first helicopter I've built in 38 years, the last one being the Revell Sikorsky Sky Crane. :)

Cheers

Andrew
Well mine is the Airfix kit (of course, they might be one and the same for all I know!!) but I'm certain in any event that we can slap 'em together and compare archery notes as we do so - accuracy, schmaccuracy :grin:

IPMS#12300
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

beany wrote:I was just about to start this little beauty, but can hold off for another week. The only problem with this model (apart from the UH.5 typo on the box) is that there are at least 6 different schemes I want to complete it in - the AA&AE Raspberry Ripple available on a Hannants Xtradecal sheet being my favourite.

With a 1/72 Hobby Boss P-40 for a size comparison.

cheers
Al.
That's not the only error, as you say it should read HU5 also they got the squadrons wrong its not 874 it should say 847.

I have the kit and will build it as a 771 SAR when I get time but not for this GB.

I look forward to seeing your build as it looks a very nice kit.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.

Return to “Whirlibirds III”