Martin's Belvedere

Our 3rd helicopter GB .... odd for a Forum that favors airplanes that actually fly and not those gangly objects that must instead be flown ....
Runs October 15th to November 30th.
GB Leader is ShaunW
martin hale
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Re: Martin's Belvedere

Post by martin hale »

The arrival of a flat screen TV prompted a massive re-organisation of the sitting room today and what should surface than the missing Belvedere file! This was the cause of much rejoicing as it means I will have a better idea as to what I am doing when we kick off tomorrow: in so far as I ever know what I am doing that is!

Martin
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Thank goodness for small mercies! I'm greatly looking forward to seeing this old classic - best of luck with it.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
martin hale

Post by martin hale »

Fortunately I don't have to work until Thursday so I should be able to get off to a flying start, I'm going to need to if I am going to have any chance in this group build. Me and my big mouth!

Martin
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

martin hale wrote:Fortunately I don't have to work until Thursday so I should be able to get off to a flying start, I'm going to need to if I am going to have any chance in this group build. Me and my big mouth!

Martin
Just don't spend too much time watching the new TV! :)

I'm looking forward to seeing your build too.

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
martin hale

Post by martin hale »

And they're off! First up the obligatory box top shot. I had a bit of a result last night in that I found that Belvederes XG448 to XG457 at least, were delivered with the type of FOD guards depicted in the Airfix kit. This means that I have a fall back position should I not be able to think of a solution to doing the later type of guard in time.

More later

Martin
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Off to an early start then Martin, in the meantime I'd better start work :grin: That box art takes me back a few more years than I care to remember!

IPMS#12300
Saxon
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Saxon »

I have one of these in the stash, a classic British design. Not many pieces in the kit either - I like that!
martin hale

Post by martin hale »

OK, my first update. Today I have been getting rid of the overscale rivets that pepper the fuselage. This will make re-scribing easier and allow decals to settle down better.

With any build I always like to get things like floors and bulkheads in place as soon as possible, it then gives me a framework to work around when I get down to detailing. I am going to do this one with the cargo door open which, as well as allowing the interior of the fuselage to be seen, will allow better vision of the portside access corridor to the cockpit.

Anyway enough waffle from me, here are the pictures as of the of play today.

Martin

JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Very neat, start. I have to admit that despite using all techniques I never seem to get my scratchbuilt bulkhead/floors to fit all that well. I see you have also removed the exhausts to be replaced later.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That is very neat work Martin and I never seem to be able to get my bulkheads to fit properly either, despite my best efforts with a contour guage. How much detail are you aiming for in there? just enough or are you happy to go to town even though quite a bit may remain invisible, happy in the knowledge that you know it's there?

IPMS#12300
martin hale

Post by martin hale »

Thanks guys, I think I will put quite a bit of detail in the model but due to time constraints, not as much as I normally would. That of course could all change as I am notorious for getting carried away with my projects.

Martin
Jagewa
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Jagewa »

She's a kit of few parts. Nice innards start Martin.

Cheers
Jim
martin hale

Post by martin hale »

Today I have been plugging away at getting the airfiame structure sorted out. Normally I would add the whole lot, but for this build, I might have to be content with just the frames and longerons and give the stringers a miss. I have also found some spare Choctaw trooping seats that might do very well for this build.

More later or if I'm too tired tonight, tomorrow morning.

Martin

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That's looking very effective Martin - you're a neat worker, are there no errant splodges of glue between some of those frames? perhaps a gluey finger print on the outside of the fuselage that you're not showing us? or is it just me that does that? :grin:

On a more serious modeller's note and for the benefit of those who might not have given this type of thing a try, what have you used to make the internal framework - measured and cut strips of plastic card?

IPMS#12300
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

I bet he's used ready cut strips...or perhaps 'half-round'...something from 'Evergreen', I reckon!

Regards,
Bruce

Return to “Whirlibirds III”