Dazzledovski's Red Secret-Revealed

Our 3rd helicopter GB .... odd for a Forum that favors airplanes that actually fly and not those gangly objects that must instead be flown ....
Runs October 15th to November 30th.
GB Leader is ShaunW
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Dazzledovski's Red Secret-Revealed

Post by Dazzled »

After prevaricating about whether to join this GB, I've decided to take the plunge and pulled this out of the stash.

Dragon's 1/72nd Kamov Ka-50 Black Shark or, as it was called for a short time, the Werewolf. The kit is 1990's vintage and comes with two decal options. One is for a camoflaged machine that was based in Tashkent during Uzbekistans move to independence in 1991 and the other is the all black version that was unveiled at the 1992 Moscow air show when the Ka-50 was finally revealed to the public. I'm not 100% either way over which version to build but I am leaning towards the camo option :-| .

This should help to balance out all those Apaches ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Re: Dazzledovski's Red Secret

Post by splash »

Nice choice.

Check out this link http://www.kamov.ru/en/production/ka50/

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

Oh yes, very, very, coolski. I remember seeing one of these at Farnborough in '92, a very sinister looking beastie. Great choice.

Cheers
Jim
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

...And what intriguing boxart! :shock:
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Glad you made it Dazzled and what a choice! Interesting point made by Bruce - what is that box art all about then with one of these flying over UN vehicles?
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I think the box art is meant to represent the UN presence in Uzbekistan with a "mysterious" attack helicopter shadowing them. The Ka-50 hadn't been shown in public at this time and the aircraft flown in this region were early production airframes, no.18 in this case.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I've opened the box and this is what's inside.

Three grey and one clear styrene sprues. Nice crisp moulding. One sprue, containing the rotors is a duplicate so you get a couple of spare blades.

Just as well, given the position of those mounting gates!

Detail is very nice.

The instructions are clear and well printed, much in the style of Hasegawa instructions.

Colour call outs are for both Gunze and Italeri paints. As I have access to neither, I've placed some tape over part of the colour table and wrote in Tamiya and Humbrol equivalents.

Now the nit picking.

While the detail and moulding are of a very high standard there are no locating tabs to align the fuselage and nose halves when they are glued together, rather like one would expect from a limited run kit not one from a mainstream manufacture such as Dragon. Secondly, the colour instructions are downright wierd in some places. A good example is the rotors which, if the instructions are followed, would turn out white with dark grey leading edges (?).

I'll stick to my references I think.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

mightymikeD
…can't ever get enough Spitfires

Post by mightymikeD »

I feel your pain with the gates and lack of locating pins.. I'm struggling through similar with my build. The moulding and detail looks good though.. how are the decals?
Let's Go Hawks!/Allons 'Awks!
A:B=24:28
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

And the first burst of modellling........went badly.

The kit is covered with mould release agent, as I found out when I tried to paint the cockpit parts :frown: This is one of my pet hates in any kit. I mean, would it kill the manufacturers to wash these things properly!! :evil:

So the next move was to wash everything. Small parts in my ultrasonic cleaner and big bits still attached to sprues in a shallow dish (normally used for pies :-D ) with warm water and detergent.

After drying the parts and re-sorting them into relevant sections for sub-assemblies, I finally managed to lay some paint on.

The colours recommended for the interior don't seem far out. Early Hokums had grey interiors while later ones were all black.

So the cockpit parts have had an initial paint. Also in the picture are the two halves of the nose. I've inserted some tabs into one of them to aid with alignment. Also obvious from the picture are the fishing weights glued into both halves. The instructions suggest "add weight". No clue as to how much, just "add weight", so I think it's down to Dazzled's special rule of noseweight relativity-The more you can bung in there the better!.

Maybe I'll shove some in the fuselage as well. Better safe than tail-sitter ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

mightymikeD wrote:I feel your pain with the gates and lack of locating pins.. I'm struggling through similar with my build. The moulding and detail looks good though.. how are the decals?

The decals look pretty good. Of course, application will show up any problems.

Fingers crossed ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

It seems the locating tab plan is a non-starter. The wall thickness of one half is greater than the other so they come out misaligned :frown:

Oh well, back to the Mk. 1 eyeball.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

It would appear that Dragon kits suffer from excessive mould release residue. I've also had issues in the past with paint basically not sticking to their plastic. Dragon instructions are another minefield that I've negotiated and I know what you mean re the colour references. Maybe it's a translation thing? Those issues aside, it does look to be a nicely detailed kit.

IPMS#12300
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

It is a nicely detailed kit Shaun but, like I said, it has a few things you'd expect more on a limited run kit than a mainstream one.

Anyway, on with the build.

Despite splitting the kit up into subassembly parts I, inevitably, started with the cockpit. This went together in a couple of hours and was pretty painless. The Hokum's cockpit is a bit of a black hole with no option in the kit to open it up. I don't fancy hacking it about to facilitate this so I'm going for a closed up 'copter and, subsequently, I won't be making a handbag job of the interior. All I've added is a few foil strips to represent seat belts and applied a bit of paint. The decals for the control panels are pretty good although the main instrument panel is a little on the large side. It all went together though, and into the fuselage which was closed up and stuck together with a combination of Liquid Poly, superglue and clamps.

Also visible in the picture is the piece of plasticard, superglued and held down with the red-ended clamp, I used to keep the belly halves level. It looks good now and I hope it'll still look good when everything dries and gets unclamped.

This is how far along I am now.

Fuselage clamped, stub wing components together and exhaust halves together. These don't actually look so great so I'll be getting creative with the filler later on. There's also a gunsight mount pegged in a pair of tweezers painted and ready to fit.

That's enough for tonight. Earlier, while rummaging about in the garage, I discovered a full crate of Belgian beer I'd forgotten about :-D

So that's my evening sorted :beer:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

More pegs there than on our washing line! I'm sure the cockpit will look fine under the glazing, all buttoned up. A busy session of modelling then and you can't go wrong finding a stash of beer for relaxation purposes afterwards :beer:

IPMS#12300
Titan

Post by Titan »

I do like the Ka-50 and although it's fairly modern there is just something about it that makes it look a lot older than it actually is just like most Russian helicopters in general.
I've got the Zvezda Ka-50w which will probably have a lack of locating pins as well.

Regards
Mark
Regards
Mark

Return to “Whirlibirds III”