lancfans' BBMF Spitfire * * FINISHED * *

The Heller Spitfire XVI Single Kit Group Build
Runs November 12 through December 12.
GB Leader is Old_Tonto
Old_Tonto
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: lancfans' brace of Spitfires

Post by Old_Tonto »

I must say, that the bulged engine cowling looks great. Did you use Miliput?
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

No O_T, I used Revell Plasto filler.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

A DISASTER- the silver spitfire has had a mishap from which it will not be repaired, when I opened the tub of Revell aluminium it was empty, My only alternative in stock was humbrol acrylic Hu11 Silver and it was awful, when I tried to thin it for use it lost most of its opacity and when I tried to use a thicker coat I lost all the detail and gained an awful streaky appearance that I could not get rid of, I left it to dry in the hope that it would level (yes, I know :roll:) to continue would have destroyed the really quite good delicate raised-line detail, spoiling the model so I binned it. humbrol paint used to be of the highest quality now the use of some colours can be a lottery- what went wrong?
Actually this loss is not that serious as the second spitfire was a bonus one culled from the spares box and I have still got one model as planned for the BBMF machine which was the main subject here.

The surviving model ready for primer with the 'spare' canopy (part D4) from the Airfix Spitfire 22 kit trial fitted- a perfect fit, I see my stash filling with both Airfix & Heller Spitfires in the new year !

David.

David.
David.

Martin R

Post by Martin R »

David,

What a shame! The only consolation is that your remaining model is looking very tasty indeed.

Hey, wait a minute! Get it back out of the bin! Stick it in a bag then squirt in lots of Mr Muscle oven cleaner. Although you are using acrylics, I'm pretty sure that after 24 hours the existing paint will have lost its adhesion and will peel straight off with an appropriately applied finger nail or old toothbrush.

regards,

Martin
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Can't do that as I broke it up for spares before it went into the bin, also the oven cleaner may have also attacked the paint in the (very) open cockpit which would render the build useless anyway.

David.
David.

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Bad luck David.

The remaining one is looking good.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

That's a shame David, I've chucked all my Humbrols and have switched to Vallejo Model Color for brush painting. I got so sick of the variable quality Humbrol Enamels, a damn lottery every time I had to buy a new tin.

Those mods look great.

Cheers
Jim
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Tell me about it, I hope the new UK manufacturers are better and they get back the good name that Humbrol once had as the Humber Oil Company.

David.
David.

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Bad luck David. Don't get me started on the new Humbrol paints. If you want an opinion see my Victor build from the Falklands GB. I think I said it all there and in bad tempered detail :evil:

At least your other Spit won't suffer the same fate!
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

That is quite safe, is coming along nicely and is now painted underneath in medium sea grey with the uppersurfaces in ocean grey. (pictures will follow when this second colour has dried) and will shortly (this weekend) join P7350 and AB910 in my BBMF collection.

David.
David.

lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

The BBMF model is now covered in medium sea grey and ocean grey and only needs the green to complete the basic colour scheme, the following stage will be to varnish the model and apply the decals and then coat the model with matt varnish before final assembly.

David.
David.

lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Here the model is in base paint ready for varnish and decals. since taking this picture this has been done and the matt varnish has been applied on top to protect the airframe. When this has dried the last parts can then be fitted to complete my model.

David.
David.

lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Re: lancfans' BBMF Spitfire (cancelled brace of spitfires)

Post by lancfan »

After reading Paul bradleys' post about the wheel size in this kit I checked the Spitfire wheels in my stash, these come from a number of different kits and they all have two things in common, they are all the same size and are bigger than the Heller wheels, I have therefore decided to use Airfix wheels on my model and as the locating hole for the axle pin is too large on these parts I have changed the undercarriage to (new tool) Airfix also. My model is now at that stage when the end is in sight and even small details seem to take too long to complete, the stage when you suddenly find it is finished and you can then build something else.

David.
David.

lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Re: lancfans' BBMF Spitfire (cancelled brace of spitfires)

Post by lancfan »

The model is now finished, the serial is a temporary one which will be replaced later as I am out of clear decal paper and my supplier has stopped stocking it and I could not find a local stockist, I have found an internet/postal supplier but have not yet ordered any. Here are five shots of the finished model, I am annoyed that the first model was ruined in that way and regret not choosing to build two current survivors which would have meant that I would have the planned brace of builds. So then that is the end of my build here but not the last Spitfire 16 I intend to build as I will re-stock the stash with this kit in the new year.

David.
David.

Old_Tonto

Re: lancfans' BBMF Spitfire * * FINISHED * *

Post by Old_Tonto »

Very nice result David. Thanks for sharing.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)

Return to “Heller Spitfire XVI SKGB”