The Empire Boat -- ** DNF **

Splashbau II, but for Flying Boats only.
Runs December 1st to January 13th.
GB Leader is: AceSeafire.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

The Empire Boat -- ** DNF **

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Here's my victim, the Czechmaster Resin 1/72 kit of the Shorts S.23 C-Class Empire boat. I've had this a while and been wanting to get into it.

Here's all the parts, laid out after washing and inventorying. All correct except a few of the 36 pushrods and 72 exhausts came loose. The latter may not get put on anyway -- behind the engine, under the cowl, what are they thinking ? Anyway, no damage, no warpage, no problems. I should have shown the parts as bagged -- each of the fuselage halves and each if the 4 wing halves came separately bagged -- no scratches. The rest of the parts came in 3 bags, by size/delicacy, so no biggish parts were banging against tiny ones.

Here are the decals -- not much to a civilian bird. I might do a Quantas one for something different. The yellow paper is masks for all the windows. There is a color photo-etch sheet. There is also a vac-canopy. The kit gives you a clear resin canopy but it isn't very clear - the vac one may come in handy.

Here's one page of the instructions -- look very clear, well-illustrated, colors called out, etc. The full 'booklet' has 14 pages -- one page potted history, 6 pages of assembly, one page of masking, four pages depicting the 8 marking schemes, and a further two pages explaining the history of those aircraft.

Here's the S.23 (green) against the Italeri Sunderland for an "about the same size" comparison.

I thought I had an article by desmojen (Jen Wright) about building this but all I could find was a now-picture-less thread on BritModeller. Guess I'm on my own. She had same comment as I on the glass quality.

Only bummer is that even though it's resin, it just doesn't have that good ol' resin smell. IMHO, Resicast makes the best smelling kits on the market, but I'm denied that here ….

Anyway, here we are. Wifey and I are going on "vacation" the 1st week of December, so this is up as a placeholder. I will be taking a few models along -- it is a "vacation" after all, and will try to get some work done in that week. I am not taking many paints along and so will probably focus on getting the office and engines done along with some general clean-up and save any heavy painting until I return.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: The Empire Boat

Post by JamesPerrin »

That's an impressive piece of resin, does the fuselage have any internal detail moulded on the halves?
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

None at all, but once closed up there will be very little to see, particularly given the rather frosted glass.
I'll do the given cockpit detail and nothing more.
DHDrover

Post by DHDrover »

Very interesting. I would like one of those to make after my 100 group builds and finish the Bushmaster. :roll:
BTW QANTAS don't have a U. :ha:

Dai
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Q :oops: A N T A S
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Interesing that they've used the same running bond subway tile at the Italeri kit as well.....
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Ernie
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Ernie »

That is sure some nice resin there! can't wait to see how it all comes together.
Ernie
Barry
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Barry »

Excellent choice!
2012 A:12 B:13 C:0
TomW
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by TomW »

That looks stunning John, can't wait to see it come together.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
mightymikeD
…can't ever get enough Spitfires

Post by mightymikeD »

Glorious looking kit, John.. should end up looking great, invisible (and therefore non-existent) exhausts or no
Let's Go Hawks!/Allons 'Awks!
A:B=24:28
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

mightymikeD wrote:Glorious looking kit, John.. should end up looking great, invisible (and therefore non-existent) exhausts or no
Unsure what you mean on the exhausts ? Each cowling is cast with an exhaust. Unlike many aircraft it seems the #1 (left-most) & #3 engines had their exhaust on the left and the #2 and #4 on the right side.

If something is mising/incorrect, please tell me as I'm not clever enough to see it ....
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

This is not going as planned.

I had several limited goals for this week.
1. Assemble the cockpit
2. Put in all the windows
3. Put the fuselage halves together

My first two issues are the hull. First, there was a slight mismatch of the inner/outer molds resulting in a slight vertical offset in many of the ports -- that will take a bit more cleaning and fitting than I had planned on. Adding to that is that the hull is a bit rougher along the join line than I had originally thought. So, sitting at home, somewhat uselessly, is a really nice sanding board I could have put to good use out here for maybe 15 minutes, but …. Not sure if I can clean the hull by-hand and get a good fit.

I had thought the cockpit walls (PE) and the floor to be located more positively, but the two "guiderails" don't really accomplish that -- in fact one actually prevents it and I've modified it. All this means I' not sure how to put the cockpit together and in-place, but I know it would be easier if I had a nice clean hull joint to work from.

Anyway, I have the cockpit pieces mostly painted and I will see what assembly I can do. I can work the windows if nothing else. And I may have time to take the hull outside for a bit of hand-sanding to see about the fit.

Or I may do other things and take the hull home to the sanding board next week.
mightymikeD

Post by mightymikeD »

jRatz wrote:
mightymikeD wrote:Glorious looking kit, John.. should end up looking great, invisible (and therefore non-existent) exhausts or no
Unsure what you mean on the exhausts ? Each cowling is cast with an exhaust. Unlike many aircraft it seems the #1 (left-most) & #3 engines had their exhaust on the left and the #2 and #4 on the right side.

If something is mising/incorrect, please tell me as I'm not clever enough to see it ....
didn't you mention that they're under the cowling and behind the engine? hence "Invisible".. I feel your pain about needing and not having equipment.. when I moved to England I travelled light and immediately missed all the modelling doodads I'd left behind.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

mightymikeD wrote: didn't you mention that they're under the cowling and behind the engine? hence "Invisible".. I feel your pain about needing and not having equipment.. when I moved to England I travelled light and immediately missed all the modelling doodads I'd left behind.
:oops: Now it sinks in. :oops:

I forgot about them (which are probably intake and exhaust ports) and got focused on the externally visible ones.
Like I said, not clever enough ....
mightymikeD

Post by mightymikeD »

Like I said, not clever enough ....
Don't be daft: you're on vacation!

Hope you're having a fun time, too!

Return to “Flying Boat GB”