Destroyers for Bases -- ** DNF **

For equipment under the Allied Lend-Lease programs of WW2.
Runs December 1st to January 12th.
GB Leaders: lancfan, justin1980
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Destroyers for Bases

Post by ShaunW »

AndrewR wrote:
Full ahead, and damn the torpedoes... :)
Yes indeedy, or put another way, head for the sound of the guns and hang the consequences :grin:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

ShaunW wrote:
AndrewR wrote:
Yes indeedy, or put another way, head for the sound of the guns and hang the consequences :grin:
You do that .... I'll follow reasonably closely behind :-D

Update: Now it may be time to start painting.

I put brass railings on the signal bridge, with canvas to the front and mounted the signal bridge, finished the prop shafts, and kludged in the odd squarish propeller guards. These were a problem, again because of Mirage Hobby's effort to make tiny little parts. I had two of them short shot and two others that broke. Taking pieces from 3 different Campbeltown kits, I had used some on my first Campbeltown, I managed to kludge together two of them only to discovere they were both left side guards. Nothing left to do but mount them - one right side up, the other upside down. Maybe a blob of CA will hide the discrepancy.

I may try to shot a primer on here tomorrow, just to make the painting go easier, but I have to be careful of the bridge windows ….
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I put a coat of Tamiya rattlecan AS-something light gray on as a primer, then masked and painted the hull bottom.

That will be it for now as we'll be having a brief family Christmas, 24th-28th, in Seattle. Back to work next weekend, everyone have a Merry Christmas ….
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

jRatz wrote:
ShaunW wrote:
AndrewR wrote:
You do that .... I'll follow reasonably closely behind :-D
The spirit of Farragut is alive and well :ha:

This is looking very good John, but there's no way I'd attempt this in a GB!

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great work John and I can see there is a lot of involved work going into this model. Have a good Christmas in Seattle.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Back from family Christmas. All I have done is get 3 coats of WEM's Colourcoat RN White on the hull and sides of things - no, it is not a bright white. Unless I spot a problem, that should do it for white. I have decided that paint job will not be pristine, so a little unevenness will be OK.

Next will be a splinter-ish pattern of Western Approaches Blue on the sides and/or painting the deck. I have literally painted myself into a corner by not building this "normally". When I took it on "vacation", I got out of sequence and now I'm concerned that I'll make a mess of things while painting the deck.

Onward anyway ….
Old_Tonto
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Old_Tonto »

That is looking very sharp JRatz. Happy New Year. :lol:
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Thanks O_T, and the very same to you !
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I put a coat of "Western Approaches Blue" (WAB) on the hull & superstructure, using the diagram from the AOTS book. You'll probably get eye-strain trying to see it.

The "problem" is that apparently there were different WAB. WAB (& WA Green) were their own colors early in the war and were very light. WAG wasn't much used due to scarcity of pigment. I have a '43 Admiralty camo ref that specifies B55 for WAB, but B55 is darker and I'm portraying Campbeltown in 41/42, or at least I think I am ….

For reference, the tin front left is B55 and the tin front right is WAB -- at least WEM representation. I think the WEM WAB is just too light so I added some B55 to bring it up a notch (bottle in middle). The first coat isn't what I want, but I'll reserve judgment until I get a 2nd coat on and maybe darken it a bit more ….
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Got behind here, for various reasons. With the painting of the horizontal surfaces in B30, the main camo scheme is painted. I went back along the White/WAB borders to sharpen them up. I have done most touch-ups, and just need to look over her once more to be sure. I can do that while I'm doing some detail painting.

The AOTS shows two dark patches along the side, which I have not done yet. Dark was not in the WA scheme. Most refs say that one of several things happened: the photo was improperly exposed/processed, the paint was improperly mixed, or someone really did put a dark patch on. If there was a 3rd color, it would be WA Green. I am debating with myself just how I want to handle it, including the option to ignore it.

Time is getting away from me, got to get cranking …. I could be in trouble here ….
mightymikeD
…can't ever get enough Spitfires

Post by mightymikeD »

including the option to ignore it.
may be the winner as the clock ticks down.. provided you can live with yourself afterwards :grin:
As a wise man said
"Not Finishing Is Not Failure"
;-)

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out, regardless.
Let's Go Hawks!/Allons 'Awks!
A:B=24:28
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

A combination of things got in the way in the last few days and nothing much visible happened except the top of the stacks got painted. I did some work on the basic colors also.

Part of my issue on this build is that I started it on vacation so I didn't have all my toys and paints and I got out of my "comfort sequence" for ship building. Once that happened, I stopped looking ahead, so to speak, and just built to get done what I was doing. A 2nd, unplanned trip over Christmas didn't help.

And that meant that once I had gotten the basic superstructure done and painted, I had forgotten to start on all the deck detail, even the basic step of pre-painting it before I started assembly. So I had to back up and do that. Well now I'm kinda caught up and I can start to put on all the PE detail and such.

I am going to open a thread in the Ships Forum and complete this there.

Sorry about being a DNF, I really want to get this done as part 2 of a 4-part collection showing USS Buchanan as built, as in 1940 before transfer to the RN, then the 2 major Campbeltown configurations … the life-cycle of a ship ….

EDIT: Here is the thread in Ships.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Re: Destroyers for Bases -- ** DNF **

Post by lancfan »

DNF or not it still looks great and Campletown is an important small part of WW2 history, will enjoy watching the ship take shape.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.

Return to “The Lend-Lease Equipment GB”