AndrewR's Frog Mustang II in 1/72 **finished**

For equipment under the Allied Lend-Lease programs of WW2.
Runs December 1st to January 12th.
GB Leaders: lancfan, justin1980
AndrewR
In the basement lab

AndrewR's Frog Mustang II in 1/72 **finished**

Post by AndrewR »

Here is my Lend-Lease build. A North American P-51A Mustang, designated as Mustang II by the RAF.

I got the kit from a stash sale at the local hobby shop.

I'll be doing mine as an RAF Mustang II, as the machine portrayed on the front of the cover sheet. It's an aircraft of II (AC) Sqn. RAF.
I've been told that Roman numerals must be used for II Sqn., and I mustn't forget the AC - Army Cooperation. The squadron was one of the first three squadrons raised for the Royal Flying Corps in 1912, and claims to be the oldest fixed wing squadron in existence. I Squadron was originally raised as a balloon squadron and didn't get aircraft until later, and 3 Sqn. loses out in the seniority stakes, apparently. Thei job was to provide low level tactical intelligence for the army, so they had a camera fitted in the wireless space behind the pilot's head armour. The Allison-engined Mustang was excellent in this role, as it had very impressive low level performance.

It's a very simple kit. No wheel well detail, but this will be an in-flight one anyway, so that doesn't matter. The Frogman pilot will probably get replaced with a Revell RAF pilot.

I seem to have acquired a bonus canopy in this kit. That's handy, because I need to make a hole for the camera!

The moulding is not perfect, there are a few sink marks which will need to be dealt with. The one on the radio doesn't matter because the camera and other equipment needs to go where the radio is positioned. I assume that it's the radio which the US version uses. This was removed in RAF service and replaced with a British version, but not in the same place.

The decals might need replacing. Sunlight is bit feeble here at the moment for bleaching decals. I'll rummage around for spares.

The exhausts are a bit weedy. I'm tempted to replace them with some resin. I'll see if I feel like splurging when the build starts... :)

I also want to do some research on the black and white recognition stripes, and how the sky coloured band merges into them. I'll paint them on - they just look much better than decals.

So there we are. Roll on the First of December.

cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Re: AndrewR's Frog Mustang II in 1/72

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Another Mustang Andrew? I like it.... I love the look of the A model with the white stripes over the back like on the box. I want to do one of those some day.
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Jagewa
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Jagewa »

Nice, one of my lads buiilt one a few years ago and really enjoyed, a nice kit.

Cheers
Jim
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Andrew, even cloudy skies work when bleaching decals as it is the UV light not the visible sunshine that does the work.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

lancfan wrote:Andrew, even cloudy skies work when bleaching decals as it is the UV light not the visible sunshine that does the work.

David.
I know, I am a physicist... ;-) But the sun is so low in the sky that there's not much direct illumination of the little casement windows in the basement lab :)
Anyhow, I should have spare sky coloured "N" codes, which are the worst affected.

I have found a better profile of this aircraft, drawn by Rick Kent, with a slightly different arrangement of the invasion stripes and sky tail band.

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2 ... stang4.htm;

I'll go with Rick's version :)

Cheers

Andrew
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Not much actual building tonight. More thinking about what to do with this kit.

1 Display in flight on the stand (Undercarriage? Pah!)
2 Add camera behind pilot's head armour. After adding the head armour... :)
3 Forget any major additions to the cockpit. Possibly a paper instrument panel
4 Drop the pilot (a good song by Joan Armatrading :) )- substitute a spare figure.
5 Try using the kit decals

6 Rescribe the panel lines and seriously tone down those rivets!

Cheers

Andrew
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

I've rescribed as much as I can without putting the kit together.

I have a set of Airwaves photoetch for the Spitfire. The instrument panel section can be pressed into service as the Mustang instrument panel. I may also use the internal sidewalls detail to make the inside of the cockpit a little busier. I was going to use a Revell RAF pilot, but the ones I have left are much too big (I always thought they were overscale). The Airfix pilot from the Zero kit will be pressed into service instead!

Everything has been washed in the ultrasonic bath. I need to remove the radio box from the back of the kit, add the seat, and a scratchbuilt head armour plate and then a parcel shelf. The original radio will be cannibalized into the obliquely mounted camera box. From a few photos I've seen of the cameras being loaded (in the Imperial War Museum Archives), the space behind the pilot's head is packed full of equipment, with little bits of plumbing pipes etc. all over the place. I'll have to make something that looks suitably "busy".

cheers

Andrew
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Some scratchbuilding of the interior details this evening. Anyone of a nervous disposition or with tendencies towards accurate detailing should avert their eyes now... :-D

The radio in the rear cockpit and the strange instrument panel and gunsights in the front were carved off. The parts from the radio block were used to make the body of the camera, with a lens ring from a slice of styrene tube. A sink mark on one side was covered with a strip of styrene.

The Frog seat is actually not bad, although a little narrow for the Airfix Zero pilot, who will need a little dieting to fit in the seat. The sculpting on the Airfix figure is light years ahead of the one from the kit. No surprise there. I found a spare set of photoetch interior details for the old tool Airfix Spitfire, so with a suitable bit of trimming, I fitted the side walls into the cockpit. Not accurate at all, but suitably busy. I intend to fit the Spitfire Instrument panel in as well. Accuracy schmaccuracy... :mrgreen: The transparency is very thick, and so anything to give the right impression will do for me. That bit will have to wait until the pilot can be test fitted into the seat. I'll also install a coaming over the panel.

Then I put in a parcel shelf and head armour behind the seat, and an obliquely sloped shelf pointing to port, rear and down for the camera. A few test fit sessions to get the camera to fit when the transparency was fitted were needed!

I'm almost at the point of priming the interior. I'll be using Bronze green primer, and then follow that up with a coat of US interior green. There seems ot be some dispute about whether or not British Interior Green (or a US approximation) was used. However, I have a pot of US Interior Green, but I'd have to mix the British colour. I will mix a little of the British colour to brush paint some of the camera details. I'm assuming that that as the cameras were added by the British, any installations would use British paints. I'll probably paint the cameras dark grey, with a gloss black lens. I should also be able to prime the pilot and the stand tomorrow.
It's been quite an absorbing build so far... :)

cheers

Andrew
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Nice! Don't forget the nodding dog for the parcel shelf.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Not wasting any time with this one, Andrew. Not a bad looking kit all and all.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

PaulBradley wrote:Nice! Don't forget the nodding dog for the parcel shelf.
I'll put him in when I put the furry dice in the front... :-D

It's quite a nice little kit. The raised panel lines are so raised that you can run a scriber along them without a ruler! Makes life easier... :)

Cheers

Andrew
SteveC
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by SteveC »

As long as there aren't any raisins nearby :cry:

It's looking good Andrew, and I'm glad your dog is on the mend. Ours is still very much under the weather after being severely mauled by something the size of a wolf last week.

Steve
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Ahem.....additional cockpit detail?.....rescribing made easy?.....next stop AMS :grin: The Nelsonian Eye misses no rivets!!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

ShaunW wrote:Ahem.....additional cockpit detail?.....rescribing made easy?.....next stop AMS :grin: The Nelsonian Eye misses no rivets!!
It's not additional cockpit detail, there wasn't any before. :-D Anyway it's not authentic since it's from a Spitfire. :ha:

Besides even Mr Mole without his reading glasses couldn't fail to miss the rivets on this thing... :shock:
And I will be using short pieces of bent wire in the rear cockpit too Shaun. So there! :ha:
That's after I install a Spitfire instrument panel and a Japanese pilot...

Haven't you got an Apache to finish or something, Oh Glorious Ex-leader :?:

I don't know, you make somebody a Group Build Leader and then he goes on and on and on and on about AMS - while superdetailing the tailwheel on his helicopter. I tell you, you just can't get the staff these days, what is the world coming to, it'll all end in tears, mark my words, blah, blah blah.... :ha:
Oops, I seem to be slipping into Prince Charles mode. I'll be going on about modern architecture next. Don't get me started...

cheers

Andrew
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

SteveC wrote:
As long as there aren't any raisins nearby :cry:

It's looking good Andrew, and I'm glad your dog is on the mend. Ours is still very much under the weather after being severely mauled by something the size of a wolf last week.

Steve
Monty seems to be feeling better today. Although the carbon black they made him eat is having some, er, unfortunate effects on his digestive system... I'll leave it at that.

I hope your dog is recovering Steve, that must be pretty traumatic.

cheers

Andrew

Return to “The Lend-Lease Equipment GB”