Secret Santa Chat

What did your Secret Santa send you this Christmas? Have you been naughty or nice? Did you get a Trumpeter 1/48 Lump of Coal, or a nice old Airfix classic? Your builds should be chronicled here, starting Decmber 25th (ho, ho, ho!) and lasting through January 31st. Admins: Brickie and Paul Bradley
ara398
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Re: Secret Santa Chat

Post by ara398 »

I'll let you know tonight Paul :oops:

Adrian
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

I have to apologise both to my Secret Santa and the rest of you -- I've been baulked by a combination of family duties (sole care parent of children and dog for one weekend), illness (a week laid up with viral cough, unpleasantness and deep, deep lethargy) and inclement weather (two weeks of consistent sub-zero temperatures in the modelling shed, which actually froze my Citadel Metallics). I don't think any of this was completely unpredictable ("What? Catching a cold or succumbing to the cold in midwinter?") but I didn't imagine the Perfect Storm of them all, one after another. I WILL build that steampunk steam engine, if I have to Blitz it in February (although, actually, it's started, so I'll in fact just finish it over the next few weeks). I'd second planning it in earlier, but also give more time -- there are just too many things that can go wring in the calendar month of January, it seems...

bestest,
M.
Narayan
If anyone needs me, I'll be in my office

Post by Narayan »

mattbacon wrote:I'd second planning it in earlier, but also give more time -- there are just too many things that can go wring in the calendar month of January, it seems...

bestest,
M.
I completely agree with giving it more time in 2014. Maybe January and February? I was 'lucky' enough to be out sick for 3 weeks otherwise I'm not sure I would have finished on time.

I was drowning my sorrows but my sorrows learnt to swim.

A:B
2013 05:01 2010 44:12
2012 20:05 2009 19:16
2011 11:10 2008 16:03

Overall 198:52
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

History has shown that long GBs don't tend to produce more finishers - I'd say 6 weeks is about the limit.

I really think the major issue here has been too much going on overall - properly incorporating this into the GB calendar would be more helpful I feel.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
ara398

Post by ara398 »

Hi Paul,

That extension won't be necessary now - I'm done!

But thanks for the offer... :grin:

Regards,
Adrian
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Well, as it seems the nearly dones are just about all now dones, I see no need for an extension - so let's stick to the midnight deadline, wherever you are in the world! :)
Paul

bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

I should be done well before Midnight UK time I hope. Just the final decals, a few more canopy frames and small paint touch ups to go now.
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Well, we have nearly all the photos in the Gallery, I think - I'll leave it open for a couple more days if anyone needs to add anything else.

Looks like 12 people managed to complete their gifts - out of 16, that's a pretty good completion percentage for a GB. While, of course, it would have been nice to see 100% given the nature of the GB, I understand life gets in the way sometines. Could I please encourage those who couldn't finish to do so in the near future? :)

Brickie's already started a thread about doing this again next Christmas, and I'd be in favour, and willing to participate again. If anyone has any other comments about what we can do differently, please got to that thread to add your comments.

Meanwhile, I'd like to thank everyone for taking part - it's been fun! 8-)
Paul

ara398

Post by ara398 »

And thanks for running it Paul and Brickie! :beer:

Adrian
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Well Done, All .... a lively GB with a good completion rate.

If you could make any final remarks, post any last pix, by say Wednesday, then I will put it away ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.

Return to “Secret Santa Group Build”