Saxon's SSGB - Airfix BF-110E 1/72 new tool - DONE!!

What did your Secret Santa send you this Christmas? Have you been naughty or nice? Did you get a Trumpeter 1/48 Lump of Coal, or a nice old Airfix classic? Your builds should be chronicled here, starting Decmber 25th (ho, ho, ho!) and lasting through January 31st. Admins: Brickie and Paul Bradley
mightymikeD
…can't ever get enough Spitfires

Re: Saxon's Secret Santa Build (Airfix BF-110E 1/72 new tool

Post by mightymikeD »

Gots to be In-flight...

great build..
Let's Go Hawks!/Allons 'Awks!
A:B=24:28
Saxon
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Saxon »

It will be in flight Mike, I have closed up one set of wheel bays. Will take a photo of the other one before closing as it has a nice indentation where the tyre would sit, never noticed that kind of detail before on an Airfix kit so it was interesting. The kit also comes with long range fuel tanks and the smaller ones, I will use the smaller to retain the sleekness of the aircraft.

Also just noticed that the tyres are weighted, you can just make it out in the sprue shots but will take a close up shot as well.

Thanks for the comments! I do tend to build quickly and am not much for super detailing/scratch building so I guess I move a little quicker due to that as well.

Narayan - the fit in general is pretty good. The cockpit seems to be too wide for the fuselage and you end up with a small gap in the nose which I filled, also I ended up with a step underneath the forward fuselage where it meets the bottom wing section piece, in some ways it accomodates the bomb plate but even then you get a gap between that and the fuselage which you can see in the photo. I will need to fill that but it will be quite easy. The step is also due to the cockpit as when I dry fitted without it, there are no gaps or issues at all.

The other issue was the nose gun piece, all the guns are attached to a bar which you thread through the nose. The problem is Airfix have attached this piece to the sprue by the bar and one of the guns, (the bar alone would have been secure enough) when you cut the gun off the sprue it weakens it (or it did for me anyway) and bends it, which then makes that gun not thread through the holes in the nose. So I cut the gun off and attached externally.
Narayan
If anyone needs me, I'll be in my office

Post by Narayan »

Sounds like you don't have to do too much filling though. Look forward to seeing this progress.

Last night, Darth Vader came down from planet Vulcan and told me that if I didn't take Lorraine out that he'd melt my brain.

A:B
2012 18:04 2009 19:16
2011 11:10 2008 16:03
2010 44:12

Overall 191:50
bernard5802
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by bernard5802 »

Excellent choice, great kit 8-)

Regards, Bernard
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Narayan wrote:Sounds like you don't have to do too much filling though. Look forward to seeing this progress.

Last night, Darth Vader came down from planet Vulcan and told me that if I didn't take Lorraine out that he'd melt my brain.

2012 18:04 2009 19:16

Overall 191:50
No not much filling at all and the gaps mentioned have been filled with liquid paper paper or clear glue, I try and avoid putty as much as possible! It's a really nice kit, I have ordered the C version!
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Some more updates

Pic of wheel well detail before I closed her up

Close up pic of weighted tyres - the kit comes with 2 sets actually so am thinking the C version differs in some way. Pic a little blurry sorry Image

Dry fitting of nacelles

Undercarriage closed up

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Very nice Saxon. Having just bought the new tool 109 I was hoping that the LMS would have this in stock as well but I missed out. It looks to be a great kit though and it goes without saying that it must be a big improvement over the old one, which was well past its sell by date.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Thanks Shaun, I like the new 109 as well but have a few 109's of different producers already so not sure I want to add (yet again to the stash with doubles) the Finnish version in the G boxing is tempting though.

On my last nightshift tonight so hoping to progress alot more when I get home, have the bombs and fuel tanks to glue together and clean up, the pylons to add and the nacelles. Then first stage of painting. Pretty quick build overall I think.
Narayan
If anyone needs me, I'll be in my office

Post by Narayan »

I like the wheel well detail and the weighted tyres. Unusual for 1/72.

They may be drinkers, Robin, but they're still human beings.

2012 20:05 2009 19:16

Overall 193:51
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

The -110 is a lovely kit. I built the C not too long ago. Looking good.
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Any progress onthis Saxon?
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Old_Tonto wrote:Any progress onthis Saxon?
Yes, painted the yellow fins and engine undersides yesterday as well as the white stripe. Bombs and fuel tanks glued together, so won't be too long now!
ara398

Post by ara398 »

Great job Saxon! Looking forward to seeing this one when its done.

Regards,
Adrian
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Been working on this for the last couple of days. Quite enjoying it too even though in my opinion Airfix have over complicated some of the parts. Also as some people on this forum may know, I suck at canopy framings, I tried burnishing the masking tape, no dice, never works for me, even tried an ez mask maybe mine was a bad batch but the pieces wouldn't come off the backing sheet and when they did they lost all their stickiness, so I went with something I have never tried before and quite liked the results it is a mix of painted masking tape applied to the frames and using a microbrush to paint some of the smaller sections. Anyway I want my SS to know I tried harder with the canopy frames on this then I normally do and I am happy with the results.

So here is where I am currently at -

ara398

Post by ara398 »

Looking very nice Saxon!

You're not the only one that struggles with canopies - yours is a great result though.

Nearly there...

Adrian

Return to “Secret Santa Group Build”