Greg's Fitter ***FINISHED***

What did your Secret Santa send you this Christmas? Have you been naughty or nice? Did you get a Trumpeter 1/48 Lump of Coal, or a nice old Airfix classic? Your builds should be chronicled here, starting Decmber 25th (ho, ho, ho!) and lasting through January 31st. Admins: Brickie and Paul Bradley
Gregers
Forum founder

Greg's Fitter ***FINISHED***

Post by Gregers »

Builds for the Fitter E. Pics to follow.
From reading reviews on the Fitter I have a few mods to do to the undercarriage and a couple of other areas. Will be gathering pics online to work from, Am looking forward to this one as it's a great candidate for the cold war table.
The Cayuse looks great. Very fine mouldings and looks to have the usual Tamia detail. Soma careful painting will be needed here methinks as everything will be very visible in the interior. Again a great candidate for the cold war sig table.
Many thanks to the Secret Santa. Especially as you had to post these from 12.000 miles away.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Saxon
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Greg's Fitter and flingy wingy thingy.

Post by Saxon »

Looking forward to seeing these built, the Cayuse would be quite tiny and intricate.
ara398
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by ara398 »

Most interested in your build/s Greg. Will be watching...

Adrian
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Hi Folks.
I've not been idle with this one. I have started the SU22 and I must say I must have got a good one because I am not having much trouble with the fit of it. The only areas I have used filler so far have been the upper nose to cockpit joint and the rearmost lower fuselage joint just under the tail pipe. And that was just a little Vallejo plastic putty. I did modify it a little so I could clip the swing wings in after assembling the inner ones and I split a seam when I inserted them but that was an easy fix and they still swing bit I will fix them into place when I have decided if it will have wings at full sweep or extended. I have been taking pics and will post them up as soon as I find my camera lead, hopefully tomorrow. The interior I will be fitting after main assembly as there is plenty of room to do so. Oh, that reminds me. there was another area needing filler. The cockpit floors and rear bulkheads. Not that much will be seen through the heavy framed canopy though but I may add side consoles yet (not in the kit) The main airframe is complete now and I'm looking through pics of the undercarriage as it needs modification/repositioning to look right.
All in all I am really enjoying this build and a huge thank you to my Secret Santa for this one.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
Albert Einstein
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Well. The new position for the undercarriage has been sorted and drilled, as has the cannon barrels whilst I had the drills out. Didn't take long and I found this good footage of Czech air force Fitters whilst looking http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seAk1x-gEIc; which gave me some pointers.

All the best.

Greg
Albert Einstein
ara398
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by ara398 »

Pics please Greg?

Adrian
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

They'll be up hopefully tomorrow when/if I locate my camera leads.

All the best.

Greg
Albert Einstein
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Looking forward to seeing the pics, Hobbycraft kits are basic but usually fairly stress free.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Found the camera bits yet Greg? I'm looking forward to seeing these in the flesh as it were :grin:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Camera leads found. pics on photobucket and here they are. (I must add I don't like photobuckets new system. Uploading is easier but copy pasting links isn't.)

Box shot

sprues

Here we go.

Skipping a couple of steps as photobucket seems to be 'throwing a Benny'
Fuselage assembled. interior painted. wing stubs and outer wing parts modified so they ban be slotted in later.

random build shots.

new holes drilled for the modified undercart.

Thats the story as of ten mins ago folks. I'll try and sort the missing pics. Not sure what's happened to them. And sorry about the flash back on some of them,

All the best.

Greg
Albert Einstein
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Oh yes, that is a serious cold war warrior - great choice by your SS there Greg. My PB account seems to be switching between the old and a new stylee one this evening. Like you say, the newer version is certainly quicker on the upload but it took me a while to sort out how to copy my pics to put on here.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Narayan
If anyone needs me, I'll be in my office

Post by Narayan »

Nice one Greg. Are you doing the scheme that is on the box?

They may be drinkers, Robin, but they're still human beings.

A:B
2012 20:05 2009 19:16
2011 11:10 2008 16:03
2010 44:12

Overall 193:51
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Nice work almost done!
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Cheers guys. I will be doing the box scheme. I have decided to add a little more detail in the cockpit. Just side consoles and maybe the periscope for the rear position. Next job is the nose radar and then it's the cockpit. Also there are the elevator mass balances missing from the kit tail planes that I will add also as these are quite prominent. Then I will be modifying the undercarriage to fit. Quite an easy job to be honest. just requiring the moving of a retraction jack. I must admit I am enjoying this build.
One thing I forgot to mention in the first pic there is a part I added to prevent the 'see through' look inside the exhaust. I found a bottle cap from a shampoo bottle that was the right diameter, was smooth in the inside and had a round depression in the centre and this served perfectly as the burner can for the engine. If I can get a pic showing this when the model's finished I will do so.
I'm undecided whether to leave the wings movable or to fix them in position. If I decide to fix them I will have them swept and may get the single seater and do that extended with dropped flaps and slats.

All the best.

Greg
Albert Einstein
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Hi Folks. More progress on the soviet swing wing. The elevator mass balances have been added and the canopy masked and attached and the topside cammo done. I have deviated fromthe box scheme because I couldn't find any pictures for reference for it so I have gone with a three tone sand/brown/green that I did find pictures for. The masking is off and pictures have been taken and will be uploaded soon. All in all I am finding this build enjoyable and I have ordered the single seat version to go alongside it.

All the best.

Greg
Albert Einstein

Return to “Secret Santa Group Build”